getting blood drawn; insensitivity

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aqueduct58
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Aug 2008, 10:48 pm

I am really mad at someone I know.
She knows that I am squeamish about having blood drawn at the doctors. I don't know whether it has to do with my AS sensory integration problems or not, but sometimes I just cannot stand the sensation of the needle in my arm. Also medical staff have sometimes gotten annoyed at me because of it, which makes me mad, because they are supposed to have a good, professional bedside manner with patients.
I had just gotten back from the doctors having had one such negative experiences, and I was telling this lady about it over lunch. I expected her to be sympathetic since she saw that I was having a bad day, but instead she starts defending the medical staff , saying that I need to put myself in their situation and understand their frustration.
She also told me that I was being childish to be apprehensive about needles, and that people expected me to act like an adult. She totally lacked any empathy!! !!
I know that she is from Eastern Europe, and they are not known for being especially nice and sympathetic over there, but I thought that she was still being way too insensitive.
She knows that I have Asperger's, but she doesn't know about the sensory integration part, and I don't think that I should tell her, because there are a lot of people who don't have AS and they are still uncomfortable around needles, and I don't think that makes them "childish".
Does anyone think I have a right to be upset with her, or am I just overreacting?

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 11:02 pm

My girlfriend would faint at the site of a needle, and she got over it, she's a phlebotomist, or vampire at the local hospital, and she is one of the most pain free MLA's at the hospital, they send her to do the hard cases, and babys there.

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 11:56 pm

Yeah, most people can't understand how it is for us with sensory things. It's normal for us to be upset when the other person refuses to recognize what we're going through.

I usually pass out during blood draws, and then become angry as I regain consciousness, due to my disorientation. The nurse usually changes her attitude after that.

Kiera
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2008, 12:24 am

have you tried asking for a pediatric butterfly needle?

stoopidly enough, i'm afraid of needles unless they're followed by ink or jewelery. i always get a pediatric butterfly needle during bloodwork. they're thinner and much smaller than the standard ones. it still isnt pleasant, but it's much less unpleasant than the other types.

*oh, and yeah, i can see why you're upset. needles aren't everyone's cup of tea. maybe she just isn't good at the empathy/sympathy thing....

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Aug 2008, 12:14 pm

Kiera wrote:
have you tried asking for a pediatric butterfly needle?
:lol:

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 1:01 pm

That was really mean of her.
Getting my blood drawn makes me pass out. I can't watch on television when there is a needle near someone or there is a hypodermic, I have to lie down so I don't either vomit or black out.

Lily_cat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 1:09 pm

I always get butterfly needles because I have small veins that tend to collapse, which then hurts when they pull the needle out. Also I fear needles of any kind (and yet have had 12 piercings) so usually I get the same nurse every time (she usually deals with the kids)

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 1:52 pm

Lily_cat wrote:
I always get butterfly needles because I have small veins that tend to collapse...

That's weird, the only times I've had my veins collapse was with the butterflies, so I always request a syringe (which I guess the doctors don't want them to use anymore).

As for discomfort with needles, I'd have to say it really depends on who's doing it and how they do it...sometimes they'll have students do it, and...well...not a good idea ;) I've had some people do a really good, painless job, and others who seem like they just want to jab it in there and get it over with, and they'll poke around a bit after they're already in and wiggle the vein with their finger to try to find a good spot. Sometimes they won't find it and they'll try a different vein :x I've had one guy try three different veins one day...went home with some rather unpleasant bruises :x :x

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 5:42 pm

I donate blood every six months. I can't stand the sight of the needle entering my skin; I always have to look elsewhere while the doctor does his thing there.

Normally it doesn't hurt too much, but last time I gave blood it was in a different hospital, and though the doctor was most kind, the procedure was horribly painful. Nevertheless, I still plan to keep doing it.

Ledvia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2008, 6:15 pm

she was probably being bias...probably has family in the medical profession therefore sides with them emotionally instead of taking a good look at the facts when you were speaking with her....

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 6:30 pm

You did not specifically say what your reaction to the needle was, so I cannot give my opinion as to if I think you were childish. I myself, am funky about needles but I am an adult and choose to behave like one. What is so wrong with considering the point of view of the medical worker? They have a difficult and importand job to do, plus they can have bad days too :wink:

carturo222 wrote:
I can't stand the sight of the needle entering my skin; I always have to look elsewhere while the doctor does his thing there.

This is me...exactly. I also hold my breath. The sting is the worst part of all.

everyxthing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2008, 8:10 pm

I am a nt and I can watch them take blood out but last time I had it taken out I almosted fainted cuz I am not use to it. They had to put a wet towel on me and every thing.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 8:31 pm

I have fainted several times while having blood drawn, on one occasion I fell to the floor and cut my eyebrow open, needing stitches. Since then I insist on being able to lie down or recline, just so that I don't injure myself if I pass out.

aqueduct58
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Aug 2008, 5:35 pm

Claire, my reaction to the needle varies. If the medical staff is friendly, patient, and sympathetic , and if they make an effort to distract me during the procedure, I take it just fine.
If they are rushed and impatient, I sometimes actually panic and feel that I cannot go through with the procedure.
I realize that this reaction is extreme, but I do not think it is childish, it is a fear response to something I find intolerable. I don't think anybody should be chastised or made to feel ashamed of a fear of pain, it certainly doesn't help them get over their fears.
And , yes I realize the pressure that medical professionals are under and that they can have bad days too, but it is part of their job to help put their patients at ease and make them comfortable.
Actually, if a nurse or doctor is impatient or impolite, I equate that with them not being competent and caring about me as a patient. I figure if they are upset and distracted, they are not focused enough to diagnose and treat a medical problem.
Strangely enough, it doesn't bother me when the phlebotomist puts the needle in; it's when it stays in. It's not painful, just unbearable, I must have a pressure point or "meridian" there. And the wrist, hand , and cubital fossa are the only places I don't like the needle, I'm usually fine having it inserted in me arm. :roll:

adverb
Toucan
Toucan

14 Aug 2008, 11:53 pm

i like having blood drawn. and donating plasma is awesome - the huge needle, watching your blood flow out into the machine and then being pumped back into you. it's very sensual.

now, a needle going into my gums... that's no fun at all.

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2008, 1:32 am

I start laughing/giggling when the needle is inserted into my skin and the blood is drawn, for some reason.