Help I accidentally gave my cat an overdose

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 4:32 pm

My cat has been on 15mg of Vidalta for over a year (it's medication for cats with thyroid problems), and we give her one tablet every night, as instructed by the vet.

Tonight I thought she hadn't had the tablet yet, so I gave her one. I knew I should have asked first, because a bit later I found my dad had already given her a tablet. So now she's had 2 tablets in one night.

Will she be all right? This is the first time this has happened. We would call the vet but it's night time so the vet is closed. The cat has gone outside now so I don't know how she is now, and I'm hoping a one-off overdose won't do her any harm.

If it does do her harm, I don't think I would get over it. :cry:

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 5:05 pm

Well, I don't know about "across the pond"----but, in THIS country, the vet has an "after hours" number. I think you should call your regular vet, and listen to their recording to see if it tells you whom to call, when the office is closed / when there's an emergency (which your situation, IS, IMO).

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 6:18 pm

Hi Joe,

I don't know if two 15mg tablets would count as an overdose.

Quote:
The initial dose for Vidalta is 15mg per cat once a day. The 10mg tablets can be used, however, in cases where the thyroid hormone level is only mildly raised but the thyroid hormone level needs to be monitored regularly in order to tailor the treatment to each individual cat. The therapeutic dose range for Vidalta is 10mg-25mg per cat
http://www.petprescription.co.uk/health ... s/vidalta/
But they also say this and use the wording 'several' indicating more than two.
Quote:
Q. My cat managed to eat several Vidalta tablets in one go, what should I do?
A. If you suspect that your cat has had an overdose of Vidalta then you should call your vet immediately for advice.

I also found this information bulletin http://www.msd-animal-health.co.nz/bina ... 152086.pdf

Quote:
In case of overdosage, adverse effects may include, but are not limited to: weight loss, inappetence, vomiting and lethargy... These adverse effects may become severe in cases of chronic overdosing. In most cases, adverse effects are reversible upon discontinuation of treatment and appropriate veterinary care.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2015, 6:24 pm

I don't think your cat overdosed.

Just call the vet tonight or tomorrow to confirm.

But Amity has given good information.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2015, 12:00 pm

Thank you for the information, to all posters.

It's almost 12 hours later and my cat is fine. But I'm not sure if it will affect her long-term or not. I doubt it will, but we are going to ask the vet shortly, just to be sure. Our cat is such a character, it would be terrible if anything happened to her.