In one word, how do you feel right now?

Page 1182 of 1621 [ 25924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1179, 1180, 1181, 1182, 1183, 1184, 1185 ... 1621  Next

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:15 am

Good for you ^ gracekjsp

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:15 am

If you don't mind me asking: what are you competing in?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:21 am

graceksjp wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Competition---in what, pray tell?

The National FFA Organization. A school based agricultural club, its the largest youth organization in the country. You compete out of your high school (or middle school for the juniors) in multiple ranges of team and individual competitions. I compete on a team, and we won the State competition earlier this year so we're flying out to the National Convention to compete against all the top teams in the country. Im super excited (and a little nervous).

Hi Grace!!
Wow, that's exciting! You have your A Game, I'm sure!
Good luck!

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:22 am

curious

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Ok this is gonna sound weird to non-FFA people.
Horse Evaluation.
Um, its like pretending to be the judge of a horse show? We watch several classes of riding and in hand and place the horses in order of best to worst. Than we have to do a short speech called "oral reasons" where we explain why we placed them that way to test our knowledge. (A lot of people struggle on oral reasons) We also have an individual quiz (color, breeds, tack, etc) a team test (very hard) and a team presentation (a 5 minute oral presentation on a scenario like a horse in your barn getting a certain disease).
Its really subjective because you're trying to match the placings of the official judge who might like a certain horse more than you. You only have 10 minutes to prepare your entire team presentation so thats very challenging as well.

I dont expect to win as a team because there are a couple states that like always win (Like Oklahoma- one of the top horse states in the country). However, I competed in Extemporaneous Public Speaking as well so Im really hoping I place in the top five individuals for oral reasons since they are a lot like extemp.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:27 am

Have you heard of Temple Grandin, Grace?

She is an autistic woman who devised humane ways to vaccinate cows. That's one of her main claims to fame.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:29 am

graceksjp wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Ok this is gonna sound weird to non-FFA people.
Horse Evaluation.
Um, its like pretending to be the judge of a horse show? We watch several classes of riding and in hand and place the horses in order of best to worst. Than we have to do a short speech called "oral reasons" where we explain why we placed them that way to test our knowledge. (A lot of people struggle on oral reasons) We also have an individual quiz (color, breeds, tack, etc) a team test (very hard) and a team presentation (a 5 minute oral presentation on a scenario like a horse in your barn getting a certain disease).
Its really subjective because you're trying to match the placings of the official judge who might like a certain horse more than you. You only have 10 minutes to prepare your entire team presentation so thats very challenging as well.

I dont expect to win as a team because there are a couple states that like always win (Like Oklahoma- one of the top horse states in the country). However, I competed in Extemporaneous Public Speaking as well so Im really hoping I place in the top five individuals for oral reasons since they are a lot like extemp.

You never fail to amaze me. :heart:

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:30 am

disheartened

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:37 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Have you heard of Temple Grandin, Grace?

She is an autistic woman who devised humane ways to vaccinate cows. That's one of her main claims to fame.

Of course! Ive watched her Ted Talks and the movie and read her books and everything. She invented the "hug box" based off of cattle squeeze chutes. I did a project on her in high school about her advocacy for the humane treatment of slaughter cattle.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 10:38 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
You never fail to amaze me. :heart:

Aww thanks!!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 2:06 pm

Frustrated

Ironically, after I posted that I'm allergic to wasps I discovered a nest in my back door frame and a seemingly endless number of them inside my house sleeping on the back wall and window, trying to get outside. I've been successful at freeing one at a time with a cloth but I keep finding more. I'd say easily 30 + at this point.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 5:32 pm

Full

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 12:42 am

digesting

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 9:16 am

thoughtful

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 9:41 am

I like Temple Grandin, too. Her books "Animals in Translation" and "Animals Make Us Human," are two of my favorites! Animals (especially cats) are my main special interest.

As for me, I feel better, but still a little anxious.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 9:47 am

sore, I hope I'm not actually developing arthritis, but I know such is possible