Almost dinnertime! Hope I survive!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 5:59 pm

I've been cooking all day, posting in between, and it's almost all ready. The table is set, my daughters want to eat in there this year instead of taking plates off to different locations, and the buffet is set up on the kitchen table.

I am not the most graceful person in the world, and so far I have three steam burns, a cut on my thumb from peeling potatoes, and several bumps and bruises. I hope I make it through till dinner without a broken bone!

I just found Alice's Restaurant on YouTube and it's ready to play when we sit down to dinner. So far we have one extra drop in guest, but there is about 30 - 45 mins left, so anybody could turn up.

How's everybody else's holiday going?

Frances

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 6:24 pm

Good. I got my computer and my Nintendo 3DS and I got to see my new nephew and hold him. My parents, my brothers and his girlfriend and their baby and my cousin and her friend, my grandmother and my husband. All us together.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Nov 2011, 6:58 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Random Discussion]

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 7:22 pm

I stayed home while my parents went to my brother's house.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 7:24 pm

on a scale of pancake-day to Christmas, how much of a big deal is thanksgiving??

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 7:36 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
on a scale of pancake-day to Christmas, how much of a big deal is thanksgiving??

I'm assuming you aren't in the US, and are asking about it in general, so I'll answer that way.

It's about one step below Christmas. It's the "official" start of the holiday season, which includes Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. Many people put up their Christmas decorations the weekend after Thanksgiving. We usually put our outside lights up then, and decorate the house, but save the tree until the weekend closest to two weeks before Christmas. We aren't doing that this year because we are going to my MIL's house for the weekend tomorrow. We will do it next weekend probably. There are some important ball games this weekend and we don't have cable tv right now.

Frances

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 8:09 pm

I also hope that you make it through dinner.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 8:30 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I also hope that you make it through dinner.

Thank you! I did. There have been no further injuries to report either. Except to a bug that crawled out from the pine cones in the centerpiece that my oldest daughter made an hour before dinner.

I enjoyed it. We ate about 5, so I didn't have all that pressure to finish things by 3. Both my daughters helped a lot and enjoyed cooking the things they wanted to make. The turkey turned out great! Moist and juicy. I got a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey and I will never again buy a whole turkey. This was wonderful! It was so good that there were no leftovers. In fact, quite a few things got eaten up. We only had 7 people here, but we don't have the fridge full of leftovers that we usually have, which is good because we are going out of town tomorrow.

We had a nice dinner, at the table, with candles, the nice tablecloth, the good napkins, the good china, crystal, etc. My oldest daughter wanted to do that. We played Alice's Restaurant while we ate, and after we all got up, I went to turn it off. It was on YouTube. We all had about two helpings each, plus dessert, and the entire dinner took 18:23. Really, LOL! It was so good that we didn't talk at all. We just sat there and ate. Nobody said much except for when we saw the bug crawl out of the pine cones, and then not again until we were finished. All day cooking, less than 19 minutes of eating LOL!

That's ok. Everybody has said it was the best Thanksgiving they had in a while. We even put gravy on the dog's dry food tonight, and they got to have everyones leftovers fron their plates. They had a good TG too ;-)

After supper, another friend of my kids dropped by. One kid is napping, one is in the tub, and the oldest is gone with her fiance to visit his sister. Husband is watching Frosty the Snowman. I may go get in bed with a plate of leftovers and a book in a few minutes.

Frances

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 9:35 pm

I'm glad that it worked out. :)