Post a random truth about your family

Page 7 of 10 [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

11 Dec 2011, 11:25 pm

I have a deep pool of patience most of the time, but it slowly drains out when I'm with someone who can't shut the hell up. (Which is a good portion of my family)

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 11:30 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
I have a deep pool of patience most of the time, but it slowly drains out when I'm with someone who can't shut the hell up. (Which is a good portion of my family)

You would not get along well with my sister-in-law, lol.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2011, 11:35 pm

My sister was a Straight A student in College. I'm not jealous of her, though. She's not half as sensitive as I am.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 2:44 am

No one in my family has graduated from college.

My dad can add and multiply very large numbers in his head.

My grandmother thinks I am weird and does not like me.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 9:09 am

Aimless wrote:
Taupey wrote:
Aimless wrote:
Taupey wrote:
Aimless wrote:
Thanks Taupey. My mother is an ardent genealogist.
Did you know that if you are of Western European origin, you are the descendant of one of only 7 women? They figured that out from mitochondrial DNA, which is passed from mother to daughter and only mutates every 20,000 years or so.

I love genealogy. I believe that I have heard something about that or it might be something different I heard. Either way, it's still fascinating to me. I know I have ancestors who are listed as Plymouth Pilgrims. In the mid 1600's, one of my ancestors was ship wrecked between Cape Henry (South Hampton Rds area) and Cape Charles (Virginia's Eastern Shore) in the narrows here in Southeastern Virginia (where I live now) and had to swim to shore. I also had ancestors who fought in the American Revolution and other ancestors who were both rebel and union soldiers during the American Civil War.

Cool. My father's ancestors were brothers that came to Rowley,Mass on a land deal. One on my mom's side was a guy who was on the second Jamestown expedition, the one that got blown off course by a hurricane and had to rebuild the ship in the islands. In the 1700's an ancestor of mine was a doctor in Barbados who was a randy bastard (most of my ancestors were imperialist pricks actually)and many of the population of Barbados are his descendants. I have any number of African American distant half cousins. Genealogy is interesting. It's not about finding anyone famous, although that's fun. it's just neat to find all the pieces. Oh, I know I'm rambling but here's a semi celebrity tidbit. remember Annie Potts,from Designing Women and Ghostbusters? She and I apparently share a Great x(?)Grandfather.

What do you know about your Rom ancestry?
Ooo... That's really cool. I always liked Annie Potts. :)

Their name is Hungarian but they looked Rom. People use to call my great-grandfather Diego in the town we are from because he was darker skinned and his family had told people that they were Spanish but they weren't. Years ago, when I was a teen, I had asked him why they told people they were Spanish when they weren't and he said he didn't know. But it was weird because he paused so long before answering me and I remember thinking that it was really strange that he did that. The memory of him doing that stuck with me because he really took his time to consider what to say to me. I think he might of known but didn't want to say. Years later, after I found out that their name was Hungarian, I was reading about Rom/Gypsies and I read something that said it was common for them to tell people that they were Spanish instead of Gypsies to avoid prejudice/discrimination. I had a "wow moment" because of what I knew about my great-grandfather. And that's why I believe they probably are. I still want to do some more research in person to see what else I can find out about them and see if I can find something that will actually confirm that they were Rom. You know, it's like a giant puzzle, I'm trying to find the pieces to put it all together, I love it, it fascinates me. :)

I know someone who's father is Iranian and mother is from Central America. He used to tell people his father was Persian for the same reason. His father left Iran before the Shah that was deposed in the late 70's was in power.
To me it's sad when people feel like they have to do that so they won't be treated wrongly.

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 1:55 pm

My Mom has some serious mental issues which I think were caused from her abusive homelife and the fact that she was raped at the age of 13 by the man who eventually murdered her sister. She is always shifting from being a very kind and loving person to being a complete monster who emotionally abuses and manipulates people, especially when it comes to her many boyfriends and husbands. She also has a bad habbit of contradicting herself a lot, she will say she believes in one thing one day and a few days later will completely change her opinion on that subject and treat it as though she has always felt that way. It's also hard to talk to her about anything because she always has to completely dominate the conversation and make you feel like what you're saying is wrong.

However I do love my Mom and I know she loves her kids very much. If she didn't love us she wouldn't have worked two jobs all our lives to make sure we had a home and food, and even after her second husband divorced her and gained custody of my half-sibilings she always managed to visit them and be there for them when they needed her. I honestly think she just hates men which is why she lures them into dating and marrying her so that she can get revenge on them by driving them crazy with emotional and physical abuse. It's been hard for me to accept that but once I have I finally feel at peace with her and realize it's OK to love her for who she is because even though she may not actually love the men she dates she does love me and my sibilings.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 2:55 pm

My uncle used to be a Marine.

My sister & I refuse to go into the military.

My mom is the most insensitive person you will meet.

vickypollard
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Dec 2011, 2:57 pm

My mother used to be addicted to both cocaine and alcohol. My father has over 50 pairs of shoes. My great-grandparents only had children because they were both handsome and intelligent and wanted to do the world a favour-- they weren't in love and got divorced right after my grandmother's sister (their youngest child) was born.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 4:51 pm

I thought of some more truths...

My whole family seems to have a long tradition of fathers leaving their children. My father left right after I was born, my Mom's father left after a few years of marriage to her mother, and my father's father left shortly after he was born too.

All of my sibilings have blonde hair like our Mom, I'm the only brunette.

Out of my Mom and her sibilings there were 5 girls and 1 boy, out of me and my sibilings there are 3 boys and 1 girl.

Me, my Mom, and birth father all weighed 7 pounds when we were born.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 9:22 pm

One of my sister's looks Native American but the other one is blonde haired and blue eyes because their grandfather was half Native American (Miami) and German Minnonite. Their grandmother was all German Minnonite. People are always surprised when we're together and tell them we're sisters.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

12 Dec 2011, 9:32 pm

My grandmother on my dad's side is technically my step-grandmother. She's one of the people I relate to the most (and one of the few on my dad's side who bothered to look up Aspergers Syndrome).

I have two aunts, one on my mom's side and the other on my dad's side, that are both named Denise. Both women are awesome.

My uncle Bryan is actually one of my dad's foster brothers.

My dad is the only bad seed on his side, the rest of my family on my dad's side are loving, genuinely kind people.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 9:44 pm

My sister always gets asked if she's French Canadian and I'm always asked what part of England I'm from.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 9:58 pm

My sister (the one who looks NA) and I were ice skating on Big Lake in Indiana when I was 5 years old. I fell through the ice and almost drown but she grabbed my arm and coat and pulled me out, then she dragged me all the way to our grandparent's house. I actually didn't think she could do it because the ice kept cracking and breaking by her feet too.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 9:59 pm

^Glad you didn't drown :D

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 10:08 pm

Titangeek wrote:
^Glad you didn't drown :D
Thank you Titangeek. :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 10:31 pm

Taupey wrote:
My sister (the one who looks NA) and I were ice skating on Big Lake in Indiana when I was 5 years old. I fell through the ice and almost drown but she grabbed my arm and coat and pulled me out, then she dragged me all the way to our grandparent's house. I actually didn't think she could do it because the ice kept cracking and breaking by her feet too.

I'm glad you survived. You're such a sweet person. :P