For those of you who keep diaries (or journals)...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 12:21 am

...do you often find yourself restricting the things you write down? Perhaps you're anticipating your diary being read in the future by friends and family, or you just don't feel comfortable writing about some things?

I find myself doing this a lot. I tore out an entire page because I felt unconfortable having something written down there, because it just reminded me of unpleasant things (don't ask). Also, I can't help but envision a scenario of my friends and relatives in the future reading my journal after I'm dead, which is why I naturally feel inclined to censor myself.

I know this is entirely counter to the whole premise of keeping a diary, but I can't help but feel this way. :roll:

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 12:24 am

I don't keep one anymore, but when I did I definitely censored it. I had no privacy. If my foster parents weren't rooting through my things, my therapist was demanding to read it. :?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 5:06 am

I actually want someone to find and read my diary after I'm dead, so I do censor it. Mostly I censor it by not talking badly about other people. This is because after my Grammy died, my mom read her diary and found that my Grammy had written terrible things about her and dad in it. It hurt their feelings very badly, especially considering the fact that they took care of her when she needed help the most. I never want to hurt people the way that my Grammy did.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 8:51 am

Even when writing to no one, I still feel I'm writing to someone, and want to keep it relatively clean.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 11:12 am

Descartes wrote:
...do you often find yourself restricting the things you write down? Perhaps you're anticipating your diary being read in the future by friends and family, or you just don't feel comfortable writing about some things?

I find myself doing this a lot. I tore out an entire page because I felt unconfortable having something written down there, because it just reminded me of unpleasant things (don't ask). Also, I can't help but envision a scenario of my friends and relatives in the future reading my journal after I'm dead, which is why I naturally feel inclined to censor myself.

I know this is entirely counter to the whole premise of keeping a diary, but I can't help but feel this way. :roll:

I use to restrict what I wrote but I got out of that habit years ago. Now I write whatever I want to write about. My children or family members wouldn't and won't be shocked if or when they read my journals, because I have been pretty open and honest about myself and how I feel about things. I even write about mistakes I have made and somethings that I regret doing, I'm not ashamed of being human.

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 1:17 pm

If I was writing a diary, I'd censor the things that I'd write in it. I don't want to hurt people either.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 10:28 pm

Mine is in a highly encrypted folder, I write whatever I want too.