Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 11:04 am

Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
Sparx wrote:
Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I'd love to have a 16,000 sq.ft. multi-level home.

I'm happy with 1600 sq.ft., though.

It beats living on the street.

Be thankful for what you have, and stop whining that you don't have a mansion.

I'm thankful for what I have. * my house was burned down a few years ago *

I'm sorry. :(

It's okay, when it happened I realized just fortunate I was.

Yes. A similar incident happened to me and my family this year. We didn't lose everything, which I'm grateful for, but we still lost a lot. It's a humbling experience.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 12:00 pm

I don't wanna live in a massive house, but I do somewhat envy those more wealthy than me, yes.

luvsterriers wrote:
Do any of you envy people especially men who have wives and children that make at least $180,000 (US Dollars) a year? That means he, his wife and children can always fly first or business class. They can go on cruises at least twice a year. They can stay at fancy hotels or resorts that are at least 4 star.

Don't know where the hell you get that from though. Someone making that much money can't take his or her family to "always fly first or business class", neither can they "go on cruises at least twice a year" or "stay in fancy hotels or resorts that are at least 4 star". People who make $180,000 are not rich and probably lose a lot of their salary through various taxes anyway. They can live fairly comfortably for sure, but not to the extent you describe.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 12:35 pm

I don't feel jealous of the wealthy at all. I would like to have enough money to pay for the extra needs that I have. Incontinence products and epsom salts for my tendinitis, but other than that, I don't feel jealous of the wealthy.

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 1:01 pm

I would love to become rich by my own merit. Or win the lottery. That would be awesome.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 1:04 pm

No, I'm not jealous at all.
The social circles of the wealthy are so much more superficial with tons of pointless etiquette.
Then there's all the stress and anxiety of maintaining a certain public "image", along with the worry of keeping all that material stuff. In these uncertain times, it would be really easy to lose all that stuff.
Then there are all the sharks and vultures out there working to take a bite out of what they have.
The more money somebody has, the more people come out of the woodwork, wanting some or all of that money.

I saw an interview once with this journalist (I don't remember who), he had traveled all around the world meeting people from many cultures & economic levels. He said it was those who has less money who smiled more.

Diagnosed in 2005

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 1:05 pm

Sparx wrote:
Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
Sparx wrote:
Brainfre3ze_93 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I'd love to have a 16,000 sq.ft. multi-level home. I'm happy with 1600 sq.ft., though. It beats living on the street. Be thankful for what you have, and stop whining that you don't have a mansion.
I'm thankful for what I have. * my house was burned down a few years ago *
I'm sorry. :(
It's okay, when it happened I realized just fortunate I was.
Yes. A similar incident happened to me and my family this year. We didn't lose everything, which I'm grateful for, but we still lost a lot. It's a humbling experience.

I ended up on the street after my first wife divorced me, married her boyfriend, and got everything in the settlement.

18 months later, I was back on my feet (job, place to live, medical care, et cetera), without anyone else's help.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 2:01 pm

It is very common in most people to be envious of wealthy people, but I'm not. Yes, I would like to be rich, but that's not my top dream. I would just love to be confident and popular, and I get envious of people with social abilities.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 4:10 pm

I want few things. Most of them I have. Some things money can't buy. Some things money is actively opposed to. The world is full of ignorant and/or evil people who spend (or want to spend) vast fortunes on personal aggrandisement, but I ain't one of them.

The year is still young.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 4:11 pm

Envious? No.

Let's be clear, $180,000 per year is not going to be enough to get you that house. And to earn the kind of money that would be required to buy that house, and pay for the staff that would be required for its upkeep, would require an income that would put severe strain on work-life balance.

As for the travel perks, I was a foreign service officer in my younger days, and spent a lot of time in the pointy end of airplanes. And as nice as a seat in first class is, 15 hours in a metal tube is still 15 hours in a metal tube. If I had to fly that much now, I would very much want to be in that part of the plane. But given the much lower travel demands I have now, I am not nearly so concerned.

I have a good, professional income, and my partner does, too. Together we have a nice house that is, perhaps, a little bigger than we need, but provides plenty of room for us to relax and share it with friends. More than that, I really don't need.

Miharu
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2011, 6:06 pm

pete1061 wrote:
The social circles of the wealthy are so much more superficial with tons of pointless etiquette.
Then there's all the stress and anxiety of maintaining a certain public "image", along with the worry of keeping all that material stuff. In these uncertain times, it would be really easy to lose all that stuff.
Then there are all the sharks and vultures out there working to take a bite out of what they have.
The more money somebody has, the more people come out of the woodwork, wanting some or all of that money.

I saw an interview once with this journalist (I don't remember who), he had traveled all around the world meeting people from many cultures & economic levels. He said it was those who has less money who smiled more.

I agree with you.

I've lived a wealthy life, and i've seen both sides. I have family here and family in Asia. My grandmother here, had a big nice house and money. She was always alone in the house. No friends. No one seemed to care for her or visitted her. It was a cold and sad place to be. Depressing. She started losing her memory, Her kids put her in a sanatorium. All they seem to care for was selling her house, selling her things and getting money. Even fighting over who of them gets what, what of her stuff, like she's already dead. My family here is cold. They have money, but so what. Everything feels cold. No love or warmth. Unhappy. Materialistic superficial morons who only care for money. I can't stand them.

My other grandmother lives in a small town, simple house. There are roaches all over the place and they have to flush the toilet with a bucket of water. But to me its one of the best and happiest place to be. Its full of love and warmth. People always come over. Neighbours and people randomly comming over. Everyone in that town knows each other. They always cook for her, visit her, bring her stuff. The table is always full of food. Someone is always there to help her. She has alot of family and grandkids who love her. No one would ever dare to dump her in a sanatorium. They're always laughing and smiling, Every single day happy. THAT i'm envious of. They have way more. There is no money in the world that can buy that kind of happiness.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 9:07 pm

If I was extremely wealthy I wouldn't give a crap about having a huge house. I'd still choose to live in a small cozy place. I'd spend my money on traveling around the world, seeking thrills or interesting things to do. What I didn't spend I'd give away to good people who need it more than me.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 9:12 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
Does anyone wish you had a big house like this one?

http://www.virginiamls.com/sales1/burke ... rounds.htm

One of mom's friends actually lives in this same area. HUGE HUGE house.

Do any of you envy people especially men who have wives and children that make at least $180,000 (US Dollars) a year? That means he, his wife and children can always fly first or business class. They can go on cruises at least twice a year. They can stay at fancy hotels or resorts that are at least 4 star. Of course flying first or business is comfortable. The seats are wider and you get better food and quicker access to bathroom and hardly screaming babies are in these type of classes. Cruises are so expensive, but the scenery can be pleasant and the tours that you can choose to go on. Staying in fancy hotels and resorts has got to be great, better food, better hotel rooms, etc.

My house might actually be that big, but we don't own it, the gov't rents it from someone.

As I deal with the incredibly wealthy all the time I'm extremely jealous of them.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 9:14 pm

Miharu wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

I agree with you.

I've lived a wealthy life, and i've seen both sides. I have family here and family in Asia. My grandmother here, had a big nice house and money. She was always alone in the house. No friends. No one seemed to care for her or visitted her. It was a cold and sad place to be. Depressing. She started losing her memory, Her kids put her in a sanatorium. All they seem to care for was selling her house, selling her things and getting money. Even fighting over who of them gets what, what of her stuff, like she's already dead. My family here is cold. They have money, but so what. Everything feels cold. No love or warmth. Unhappy. Materialistic superficial morons who only care for money. I can't stand them.

My other grandmother lives in a small town, simple house. There are roaches all over the place and they have to flush the toilet with a bucket of water. But to me its one of the best and happiest place to be. Its full of love and warmth. People always come over. Neighbours and people randomly comming over. Everyone in that town knows each other. They always cook for her, visit her, bring her stuff. The table is always full of food. Someone is always there to help her. She has alot of family and grandkids who love her. No one would ever dare to dump her in a sanatorium. They're always laughing and smiling, Every single day happy. THAT i'm envious of. They have way more. There is no money in the world that can buy that kind of happiness.

It's strange how that works. Isn't it?

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 10:11 pm

No how can you experience another culture in a 5 star hotel ?

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 10:18 pm

Not really. I'd rather work two days a week and live in a small house than work 6 days a week and live in a mansion.

Laziness FTW! :lol:

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2011, 7:42 am

SammichEater wrote:
Not really. I'd rather work two days a week and live in a small house than work 6 days a week and live in a mansion.

Laziness FTW! :lol:

I don't really like huge homes. Too much stuff to clean. Plus I really don't like Mercedes, BMW, Porchse. I'm happy with the car I have.

About traveling I would love to fly anywhere I want and in first or business class. The seats are comfortable and the service you get is nice. I have flown first plenty of times to Seattle from Dulles and its quite nice. I do remember flying from Dulles to San Diego in first class around my birthday, and the flight attendant gave me a bottle of wine. Now this was in 2001 but before 9/11 It was a 3 course meal too. I rarely travel international though. I don't mind staying in bed and breakfasts. In fact I think they are better than staying at a Ritz Carlton or any 4 star or above hotel.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)