Ever been mistaken for a homosexual?

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

puff
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2011, 1:11 am

My parents were "worried" I was gay. I guess I'm just not typical in gossiping over girls or caring about sex as my number one priority in life.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 1:16 am

Yes, people think I'm gay quite often. I don't mind, though. They're half right. :wink:

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 1:50 am

Yes. I guess I am sending out that kind of vibes.

My mother gave birth to four sons before me, so (at least some studies suggest, that) my brain could be more female than the average guy's brain.

I don't watch sports, nor do I fix cars or bikes. The stereotypical male role just does not fit me.

I have had romantic relationships solely with females. I have however kissed and cuddled with a guy sometimes, so I guess I am not strictly straight, eihter :)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 2:33 am

I've been asked if I was a lesbian so yeah. My mom said it was because I never hang out with anyone so they are going to think that.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 4:15 am

Yes. But then it is very obvious why.

So I'm never in a rush

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 8:11 am

Yes, I have been told "you're a fag" several times in my youth - the last time I recall hearing it was at the age of 23, and it started when I was 14. One guy at a house party at college, who'd been harassing me on and off about it, sarcastically yelled at me that he wanted to "do me up the a**" and got his imbecile buddies to laugh along, I guess he wanted an audience, but it sucked for me. :evil:

At the age of 18, another guy in a grocery store where I worked part-time would yell to my co-workers that I was a "limp-wrist" - it made no sense to me at the time, I thought mabye he's just a latent homosexual (which is true in many cases, the closet-case becomes the persecutor), but in retrospect I surmised that it had something to do with my nonverbal & motor-skill deficiencies being observed while I worked.

Remember what Seinfeld said: "guys who are thin, neat, and single are thought to be gay". Well, I was perpetually single, but well built, and not really neat - I was kind of messy like your absent-minded professor. I was also a moderate follower of sports, and enjoyed cars, and went to the gym fairly regularly. So, process of elimination, it clearly came down to my non-verbal and motor skill deficiencies.

whiteofmouth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2011, 8:17 am

This has only happened when I've been hit on by gay men, sorry fellas :(
On one occasion, it was a reasonably close and long-term buddy and he couldn't just be a friend which was a big bummer. Fit pants implicates being gay I guess?

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 8:33 am

Ive only been asked out once, by a guy :(
and one time i got 2 creepy calls from a guy in my old job that claimed to have wanted to hook up with me. Im not sure wether it was real or not but i did mess with his head.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Dec 2011, 10:56 am

There are other recent threads on this, so I'll give a quick answer here... YES! Many NTs have thought I was Gay, and I happen to be straight. And the odd thing is, that it was ONLY NTs who thought that. I have many Gay friends and acquaintances, and none of them thought I was Gay. I don't get it....

(If I were Gay, I'd be fine with it)

Charles

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 2:51 pm

People that often mistake others for being homosexual is a result of them being "gay minded" themselves.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 Dec 2011, 4:20 am

Quite a lot as a teen & by some girls I worked with till I asked them out & then they got b!thcy with me about it :(
~I HATE sports.
~I'm NOT into doing bro/guy stuff
~I'm sensitive.
~I'm very emotionally supportive.
~I'm sort of on the asexuality spectrum so I don't ogle women like guys are expected to.
~I like pop music & soft light rock love songs.
~I like some chick flicks & some TV shows straight guys are not supposed to like.
~I sometimes move kinda awkwardly or say awkward things.

If I was a decade younger & dressed more like a girl; people would assume I'd be an EMO

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 4:51 am

I've gotten this one a few times, mostly online but sometimes off as well. It's much funnier offline, as my appearance is very masculine and I have stereotypically straight male habits and hobbies and people are usually embarrassed for having made the mistake when I point these out. I honestly think it's because of my earrings, I have 3 in my left ear and 1 in my left, and people actually think this is some sort of gay signal... :?

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 5:01 am

nick007 wrote:
~I'm sort of on the asexuality spectrum so I don't ogle women like guys are expected to.

I'm not asexual and also could never generate those "oh, I'd tap that!" kind of exclamations (nor the associated gesticulations).

dregj
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Aug 2016, 8:06 am

been mistaken by women a few times for being gay
i think they like me but they're only in it for the fashion tips
its can get awkward when i make a move
(im bi)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 10:19 am

Dox47 wrote:
I've gotten this one a few times, mostly online but sometimes off as well. It's much funnier offline, as my appearance is very masculine and I have stereotypically straight male habits and hobbies and people are usually embarrassed for having made the mistake when I point these out. I honestly think it's because of my earrings, I have 3 in my left ear and 1 in my left, and people actually think this is some sort of gay signal... :?

OMG, that's wild----I've had the same thing happen!! I don't know where your earrings are, cuz you said "left", twice----but, I have 3 or 4 in my RIGHT ear, and ONE in my LEFT, and my sister said: "Left is right, and right is wrong" (meaning, if it's [an additional earring] in your RIGHT ear, it means you are gay).

So, YEAH, in response to this really old, though still relevant, thread, I've had lots of people throughout my life, thinking I was gay----and also, those who actually ARE, never thought it!! I'm guessing it was because the only, sort-of, "girly" thing I did, was being into fashion. I thought hanging-out, talking about boys, and giggling was silly----I wanted to be with / around people from whom I could learn; for instance, I really LOVE cars, and used to race on a quarter-mile strip (street-legal), and that's almost ALL guys----but, I was LEARNING, so I did what I liked.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 11:09 am

My father, point-blank, asked me if I was gay when I was 19.

This was because I was having trouble finding a girlfriend. He thought I should had a girlfriend at that point.