Anyone like certain materials/fabrics?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 11:51 pm

I happen to find certain fabrics and materials (particularly the ones used to cover stuffed animals) very soothing to the touch, and cuddly. My plushie of Francesco Bernoulli from Cars 2 has this sort of "fake minky" feel to him, which is comforting when I've got his muzzle under my chin, and Dory, my dolphin, after years of love, has this kind of nice, nappy feel to her fabric. :)

The irony is that some folks in plush - collecting circles lament that the Disney Store doesn't have the same quality of materials in regards to their plush that they used to, but as for me, I kind of like the minky - ish fabrics they use these days. I really don't mind... :D My Mater Pillow Pet also has the same nice, soft, plushy fabric as Francesco does (or used to), only a tad thicker.

I recently found a plushie of the Chief of the Meanies from the movie Yellow Submarine and I LOVE HIM....in the actual film, the Chief (and the rest of the Meanies) are covered in thick blue wool (which they tend to puff out in a rather cat - like fashion when they become angry :lol: ), and this was sort of replicated in the design on the plushie...I love how the plushie feels; the woolly feel is very nice to the touch, and during the nights when I become depressed, I've been finding him sitting on my lap to comfort me, with his slightly deranged, yellow - toothed smile reassuring me that I shouldn't be sad.... :D

Does anyone else have a specific material/fabric/surface that they like?

Anyway, here's a pic of my Meanie plushie that I talked about - apologies in advance if this guy scares anyone...

[img][img]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/lilpinkcoupe/meaniechief001.jpg[/img][/img]

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 12:03 am

I like metal.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 12:21 am

I like metal, as well - It has a nice cool feel to it. :)

That could be why I like die cast cars....they feel cool to the touch, and have a nice weight to them. I was a bit disappointed when the die cast toys for the Cars 2 characters felt more "plastic" than anything else...

Sorry, I'm sort of rambling... :oops:

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 12:26 am

Oh, I hate when metal things feel like plastic! Bleh.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

28 Dec 2011, 12:31 am

.I love the feel of:
silk against my skin
swimming underwater like a dolfin...coming up only for breath,
buried neck deep in warm sand,
rich dirt between my fingers,
the wind on a hot day,
the tingly feeling of a thunderstorm,
the feel of great carpet beneath my bare feet.
The warmth of thick blankets on a cold night.
the feeling of divinely inspired creativity flowing through me like a river into my poetry.
the unexplainable bond I feel with my fellow aspies
the softness of my dog's fur cuddled up to me at night.
tingly bubbles of carbonated drinks playing jazz on my tongue
the crisp cool air of fall
the warmth in my solar plexus when I think of those I love

Jojo

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 12:39 am

I spent the past week casting various objects in metal with my uncle. It's one of my favorite hobbies! Acorns are particularly satisfactory to own in solid silver... shiny, yet rough, round, yet pointed. I understand your feelings about metal.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 12:43 am

I like the feel of soft denim-it feels very nice and the feel of nylon soccer shorts.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 12:58 am

Polyester is my favorite fabric. It is incredibly soft and retains body heat well. I have a pair of pajamas, a blanket, two plushies, and a Snuggie that are all made of polyester, and I absolutely love cuddling/wearing them!

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 1:06 am

IdahoRose wrote:
Polyester is my favorite fabric. It is incredibly soft and retains body heat well. I have a pair of pajamas, a blanket, two plushies, and a Snuggie that are all made of polyester, and I absolutely love cuddling/wearing them!

I like the idea of polyester, but I am sadly very allergic! :(
It took me a long time to figure that out actually...

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2011, 1:12 am

I like metal also, and wood - real wood, not the fake stuff. I also like cotton/denim, and don't like that fleecy synthetic stuff. Kraft paper - I like the rougher texture. Cats - I love petting cats, their fur is very nice.

I don't like that micro-fibre cloth at all, it feels prickly and weird. We got some micro-fibre wash cloths and I can't use them.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 1:13 am

I think I enjoy all sorts of textures: wood that has been worn smooth from aging and use, stones collected from mountain streams, running rough natural rope through my fingers, jostling ball bearings together in your hand. Can't think of anything else, but I am often fidgeting with something with my hands.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 2:22 am

i like hessian, calico, embroidery fabric, wood with a matt laquer and those silky teddy bears.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 2:33 am

Fern wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:

I like the idea of polyester, but I am sadly very allergic! :(
It took me a long time to figure that out actually...

Ohh I'm sorry! It's terrible to be denied such a comforting fabric. :(

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 12:02 pm

I really like the feel of different fabrics.
Sometimes I like to go through department stores, touching all the different clothes. I don't do it too often because I don't want people to think I'm weird. Women really got the better deal clothing-wise, you ladies have such an amazing array of stuff you can wear. Us guys don't really have many choices at all for clothes, I just stick with cotton. Anyhow for the purposes of actually wearing, cotton is the best for me. Though a lot of stuff feels great to the touch, many of those fabrics hold heat too well. Cotton breathes and keeps me cool. I've had some shirts that are amazingly soft, but I sweat like crazy when I wear them.

As far as other materials go.
Yes, metals are awesome! So is porcelain, I like marble too.

I love sand at the beach, wet sand is best. But I don't like it when it gets under my fingernails.
I like mud too.

Memory foam is fascinating stuff.
And I enjoy cardboard. I like the smell of cardboard.

Diagnosed in 2005

Rhiannon0828
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Dec 2011, 10:31 am

I like lots of fabrics. Silk, satin, velvet, suede microfiber (more so than real suede), chamois, soft leather, pretty much all animal fur and horse hair (still attached to the animal), really soft well worn denim, thick-napped carpet, the thick, kind of furry stuff a lot of baby blankets are made from now- I'm not sure what it's called; flannel. I also like some hard and rough textures like polished concrete and stone and rough textured plaster walls; and some squishy stuff like koosh balls, soft rubber toys, mud, play-doh. I'm very tactile.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 10:35 am

Cotton. My clothes are all cotton.