Page 2 of 401 [ 6413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 401  Next

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 10:50 am

Grisha wrote:
I can't really think of who the "popular" ones are - I guess I just don't think in those terms.

I don't perceive a social hierarchy, although I may relate to some member's posts more than others.

I'm sorry that some people feel left out though, I really don't think it's intentional...

I second this

Also to me "unpopular" implies disliked or to be avoided... I can't say anyone in this thread fits this description! You should rename your club the "Possibly obscure but definitely awesome group" :P

PM
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 10:59 am

Az29 wrote:

PM - I drew a blank when first signing up here, I didn't want to use my usual online name because I wasn't sure what this place would be like and to be honest I didn't want people from other forums I use to know I have AS....at least not until I get an official diagnosis. Have you asked the mods if it's possible to change your name?

I cannot remember what exactly I was thinking when I chose my name. Alas, it is not possible for Moderators to change names with this forum software (phpBB2) and I think that name changes may interfere with the database in some way. I'm OK with my name as it stands, but if given the opportunity, I would change it.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 11:12 am

I'd probably change my name to Conefreak :P

Hey there Az29, I've enjoyed traffic cones for 7 months, they're brilliant

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 11:15 am

b9 wrote:
the reason i am unpopular is because i am uninclined to see my responsibility to reply to people who want to be my friend. it is completely my fault that i am unpopular.

but i wish that i did not shirk my responsibility to reply to friendly replies. i can not help it.

it seems to be a self fulfilling prophesy for me that i will not be liked because i do nothing at all to cultivate friendship.

i see people say "wow b9...etc" and i simply think "well there one goes".

in a deep way, it is like i am watching all my life on a screen, and i think it is not necessary to interact continuously because if people seem to like me, then that will be the case forever even if i do nothing more to cultivate it.

i do not have a great deal of understanding that things change and move on, and if someone liked me yesterday, they will not necessarily like me forever if i do not provide any further input.

life is dynamic, but in my brain it is static, and that is my fundamental problem.

so i can not be a member of this new "club" because i am solitary and not reciprocal to any fertile degree.

This is similiar to me. Except overall I don't really care if I have some random person over the internet's approval. On some days I must admit I see other members as a group of collective programs sent to interact. Why would I care for inanimate objects interacting to express pleasure/ displeasure over me. In lots of the treads here it it hundreds of pages of idle compliments back and forth with the sole purpose to facilitate other bot like members to respond with bot like regularity. I would love to say I can bow out of the approval matrix of others but sometimes when feeling down it is easy to post a picture and get idle comments which you know are forced even for a simple ego boost. Then if a genuine comment is made, it is special.

I dont think anyone here is popular or unpopular. I just think some people have more sense then to entre the endless threads that seek approval of others. Considering this thread will be exactly the same way I wish for no responce.

So I'm never in a rush

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 11:57 am

I've never been popular in real life, but I like it that way. Less people to deal with.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 12:04 pm

If people join a club, do they automatically become popular?

Which means they would need to be kicked out of the club, as they would no longer fit the criteria for joining.

Which would make them unpopular again, and thus eligible for membership once more... and so on...

This could result in dizziness.

I think that WP is like any other social setting. People get to know each other, might even regard each other as friends, and will be more likely to focus on each other's posts. I think it's not a matter of popularity, more of familiarity. There's a heck of a lot of people on this site. It's hard to keep track of more than a few people. It is for me anyway.

Toxicity
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2012, 12:12 pm

No-body notices me on this or in real life......

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 12:13 pm

Henbane wrote:
I think that WP is like any other social setting. People get to know each other, might even regard each other as friends, and will be more likely to focus on each other's posts. I think it's not a matter of popularity, more of familiarity. There's a heck of a lot of people on this site. It's hard to keep track of more than a few people. It is for me anyway.

Yep. Post counts in threads within the same group can help. Then there is the problem of finding like minds as culture, experience (age), and personality type/knowledge play out too.

It's a natural human dynamic.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 12:16 pm

Toxicity wrote:
No-body notices me on this or in real life......

Hello. :)

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 2:42 pm

Quote:
If people join a club, do they automatically become popular?

Which means they would need to be kicked out of the club, as they would no longer fit the criteria for joining.

Which would make them unpopular again, and thus eligible for membership once more... and so on...

This could result in dizziness.

What I was thinking.

Last edited by jmnixon95 on 30 Jan 2012, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 2:44 pm

Henbane wrote:
Hello. :)

Word in your shell-like, if you'd be so kind, Henbane...

...do you feel unpopular here or in life generally?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 3:01 pm

Quote:
League_girl - Another familiar name and interesting user. Are you a fan of the film titanic or is it one of the specific actors /actresses? My daughter really wants to see the film, she's been learning about the titanic at school, so thank you your avatar has reminded me to order the dvd.

I am fan of the film and the ship. She can watch a bunch of videos about it on youtube and some old movies on it too.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 3:02 pm

Giftorcurse wrote:
I need some luvin. :(

I keep misreading your name as "Giftcourse" and then "giftcurse."

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 3:04 pm

Hello to the new people in this thread.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 3:12 pm

Tequila wrote:
Word in your shell-like, if you'd be so kind, Henbane...

...do you feel unpopular here or in life generally?

Popular isn't really a word I'd use for WP or for life generally. It seems like an American High School sort of word. (my racism emerges once more).

I have some friends on here, who I care about, and I think they don't mind me too much.
There are other people who might vaguely recognise me and have no particular opinion about me one way or another.
And the majority, who haven't ever noticed my existence, or who can't stand me.

That kind of applies to the rest of life too.

To answer your question as I think you probably intended it, and without the overly analytical response, I don't feel popular or unpopular on here, but I feel unpopular in 'real life'.

Do you feel popular Tequila?

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 3:19 pm

Az29 wrote:

Hello Keeno :D Can't say I've seen you around here, are you a fan of jack black?

Not so much a fan of Jack Black, but I chose my avatar because I could actually have been inadvertently in Gulliver's Travels. I walked right past the crew when they were filming in New York. Alas, I didn't see myself in the film.

How's your evening Az29? And hello to everyone who's joined the thread during the day. :D