Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 3:48 am

What do ya reckon? The late Bill Hicks, was he Aspergian?

He has the angelic face and desire to speak truth.

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 5:46 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14[/youtube]

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jan 2011, 7:09 am

Bill Hicks had an angelic face? :?

He strikes me as just being quite bitter and angry.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 7:14 am

Ah_Q wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14[/youtube]

Sorry for being off-topic here, but that video is EPIC WIN. 8O :D 8O :D

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 8:19 am

Having lived through Hicks' era, and being pretty familiar with his stuff, I would say...um, possibly.

It always struck me as very sad that for a comic who was so revered in his lifetime, who many of contemporaries admired, ended up dying in his parents' basement, with most of those admirers not even aware he was that sick. The comedy world usually is a pretty closeknit, highly social community. Hicks must have kept himself apart somehow, like simply not maintained contact with people, to have had such a high profile career and then simply slipped off of everyone's radar like that. There was a journalist from Chicago who had tracked him down during the last year of Hicks' life, only to find no one among the comedy scene knew where he went, that he was so severely ill and that no one had tried to contact him for a considerable length of time.

Quote:
Bill Hicks had an angelic face? Confused

Actually he did have a youthful face for his age, until his started getting sick.

Hicks had issues, yes, and to dismiss him as simply angry and bitter--well, look at WP. You'd have to dismiss about 3/4 of he people here on those grounds. Hicks' primary problem was, it seemed, that he could not reconcile the mass hypocrisy. contradictions, irrationality and self-deceit of people around him. That was the root of his comedy. He did desire that things be clear, be consistent, be transparent, be logical. He also had social anxiety issues well into adulthood, hence the smoking and problems making eye contact.

Asperger's could possibly account for many things I've observed about Hicks and the polarizing way people react to him. I've never been a big fan of his comedy, but I have longed admired him as someone who was very authentic and his own person in a time being authentic and your own person wasn't fashionable at all. It was as if he couldn't help himself, that he couldn't have conformed if he wanted, and the world was nasty to him because of it, so he just got out there and said what he had to say, the world be damned.

IvyMike
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jan 2011, 1:42 pm

Bill Hicks really was Chomsky with dick jokes basically. He was like a philosopher, a lot of his message still holds true today. Bill Hicks without a doubt is my favorite comedian.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 1:58 pm

He's got a couple of traits. Maybe.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 4:31 pm

Mercurial wrote:
Having lived through Hicks' era, and being pretty familiar with his stuff, I would say...um, possibly.

It always struck me as very sad that for a comic who was so revered in his lifetime, who many of contemporaries admired, ended up dying in his parents' basement, with most of those admirers not even aware he was that sick. The comedy world usually is a pretty closeknit, highly social community. Hicks must have kept himself apart somehow, like simply not maintained contact with people, to have had such a high profile career and then simply slipped off of everyone's radar like that. There was a journalist from Chicago who had tracked him down during the last year of Hicks' life, only to find no one among the comedy scene knew where he went, that he was so severely ill and that no one had tried to contact him for a considerable length of time.

Quote:

Actually he did have a youthful face for his age, until his started getting sick.

Hicks had issues, yes, and to dismiss him as simply angry and bitter--well, look at WP. You'd have to dismiss about 3/4 of he people here on those grounds. Hicks' primary problem was, it seemed, that he could not reconcile the mass hypocrisy. contradictions, irrationality and self-deceit of people around him. That was the root of his comedy. He did desire that things be clear, be consistent, be transparent, be logical. He also had social anxiety issues well into adulthood, hence the smoking and problems making eye contact.

Asperger's could possibly account for many things I've observed about Hicks and the polarizing way people react to him. I've never been a big fan of his comedy, but I have longed admired him as someone who was very authentic and his own person in a time being authentic and your own person wasn't fashionable at all. It was as if he couldn't help himself, that he couldn't have conformed if he wanted, and the world was nasty to him because of it, so he just got out there and said what he had to say, the world be damned.

I've been thinking about Bill lately. Andy irons passed recently (#2 world champion surfer after Kelly Slater) I reckon he was aspergian too.

Andy died all alone in a Texas hotel. Sad sad sad

Both died as addicts.

A few years back when I nosed around addiction recovery and the 12 step movement, many sufferers had autistic traits.....no recognition of autism is imputed into recovery modalities.

What a bunch of f**king as*holes leaving the autistic community to struggle on their own with misinformation. What a waste of time and money going round and round in circles without a realisation of autism in the addict. EVEN NOW NEXT TO NOTHING AUTISTIC IS CONSIDERED BY ADDICTION THERAPY

Hell, it seems even many here on WP can not even see it in others. Meh

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 7:30 pm

No. Stop trying to make everyone into an Aspie as its devalues the struggle of people who do have it.

I love Bill Hicks' comedy though.

Ah_Q
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 11:29 pm

Surfman wrote:
A few years back when I nosed around addiction recovery and the 12 step movement, many sufferers had autistic traits.....no recognition of autism is imputed into recovery modalities.

That's because having autistic traits is not the same thing as actually having autism.

Surfman wrote:

I guess we're all "as*holes" now because we don't instantly agree with someone's speculation on some celebrity.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 11:48 pm

Ah_Q wrote:
That's because having autistic traits is not the same thing as actually having autism.

Makes sense to me

I was referring to the addiction industry when I said as*holes.... and in light of the fact that high functioning autistics are grouped with neurotypical when seeking treatment within addiction services.... it still stands.

I was not referring to those here who disagree with me on whether someone is AS or not.

Many would disagree with me and thats fine. Wink

wrendy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2012, 3:03 am

Hello! I have been studying Bill Hicks' face, because he appears to have a type of expression disorder (like my own) that, oddly, seems to incite an autistic-like inability to interpret emotions IN OTHERS. In other words, he is the anti-autistic disorder, which I call "Expression/Microexpression disorder."

The face moves in a manner that resembles rapid expressions, but is motivated mainly by bilaterally asymmetric control of the eyelids and other facial muscles. It causes an "uncanny valley" effect in other people (WIKIPEDIA) whereby they assume that something is "going on" inside the other person's mind.

Best wishes, Wendy Renee

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 3:45 am

It's definitely possible, some are more Aspie than others. I've often thought Doug Stanhope as someone with Asperger's.
It might sound slightly dumb, but Aspie or not, if you're quite familiar with LSD, you can generally spot others who are too. It really does change how you think.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZKH2PGA8g[/youtube]

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 12:26 pm

Doubtful

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 1:26 pm

Well he might have at least been on the wrong planet.

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 3:39 pm

Surfman wrote:
Mercurial wrote:

Quote:

I've been thinking about Bill lately. Andy irons passed recently (#2 world champion surfer after Kelly Slater) I reckon he was aspergian too.

Andy died all alone in a Texas hotel. Sad sad sad

Both died as addicts.

What a bunch of f**king as*holes leaving the autistic community to struggle on their own with misinformation. What a waste of time and money going round and round in circles without a realisation of autism in the addict. EVEN NOW NEXT TO NOTHING AUTISTIC IS CONSIDERED BY ADDICTION THERAPY

your going a bit far w/ addiction(if you want a debate on hicks your in over your head w/ me, i know all about him, he is my god and mentor) he died of cancer, he didn't hide, he went to die like a man, not looking for attention. if you look into it he did a lot of film work during his leave from the stage(10 days of wako, for 1)
he may have been autistic, but we will never know. he hated peer presure(well just didn't care about it) hated people in general. and could not understand why the world was so conservative. he had few friends and loved them blindly.sometimes people go a bit far suggesting people have autism, think of the mind w/ endless personality options, we know very little about the brain,neroscience is opening the door, but we have a long way to go.many traits look autistic(if you research into it, it can read like a horiscope,many people fit many atrabutes) but are not, i was told i was nld in my youth, and there is still a debate about wiether or not it is autistic.know who and what you are.......to draw lines to people you admire is common, but it doesn't make it right