What would you call this? (dream topic)

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 12:30 am

When I was 6 I went to bed one night (top bunk) but I did not go to sleep. I saw That the carpet appeared to be waves. The Pirate ship toy chest that we had could shoot cannon balls out of the front post of wood (odd I know). The Cassettes on the dresser were set up like AT-ST's (2 of them) that could shoot lasers. And my 90's style jacket was a cat.

I am pretty sure I was saying out loud what should happen, like when the ship should shoot cannon balls, but mostly I watched, might have just thought it and it happened. The reason I know I was awake is that I called my parents in at least 3 times because it was really cool. As soon as they turned the light on then it turned back to normal. This does not seem like a lucid dream because I was awake during this. Obviously at 6 years old I wasn't taking any drugs, just don't know what this would be called and always thought this memory was really odd.

Or has anyone experienced something like this?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 12:37 am

I had weird experiences like that when I was a little kid as well, not sure what caused it...closest I can get to any of those weird experiences I had then would be to take psychedelics.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 1:05 am

Alexender, it sounds like you had some hypnagogic hallucinations. some people have those before they fall asleep (i used to have them as a child, and i would get scared).

http://www.sleep.com/content/hypnagogic-hallucinations

i find this idea fascinating (as an adult) because it's a strange dreamlike state that is neither awake nor fully asleep.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 1:14 am

I had a lot of those as a child.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 1:19 am

@hyperlexian - Sounds like something to look up, but feeling too tired right now.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 2:01 am

hyperlexian wrote:
Alexender, it sounds like you had some hypnagogic hallucinations. some people have those before they fall asleep (i used to have them as a child, and i would get scared).

i find this idea fascinating (as an adult) because it's a strange dreamlike state that is neither awake nor fully asleep.

That happened to me often as a kid, too. It still does sometimes.

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 2:24 am

hyperlexian wrote:

Neat! That handily explains why I hear music so often just as I'm dropping off. Nothing to worry about, just a little auditory hallucination :lol:

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 11:01 am

hyperlexian wrote:

That part of what you said sounds exactly like hypnotism, which is different than what I described but kind of similar. When you are hypnotized your brain waves are at the same level as if you are dreaming but you are awake.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 2:18 pm

hyperlexian wrote:

You mean this is not "normal?" 8O

I've had this happen all of my life from a very young age. It never really bothered me. I thought it happened to everyone. Huh.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...