Are you afraid of spiders and snakes?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 10:54 am

spiders have the potential to creep me out,

snakes, not so much, im used to handling them, we had them in my preschool and after that i have taken every oppertunity i can to handle them.
got a cool pic somewhere of me with a rather large python.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jul 2012, 11:48 am

No, but I am afraid of bees, wasps and hornets. I'd be in a world of terror if I were afraid of spiders or snakes... We have thousands of black widow spiders, as well as plenty of other breeds, and also plenty of rattle snakes (poisonous, and will bite if you surprise them), and gopher snakes (can bite, but aren't poisonous and prefer not to bite) .

For anyone with a fear who would like to overcome it, I recommend knowledge. If you understand the habits and lifestyles of snakes and spiders, you can predict how they'll react to things you do, and how NOT to make them panicked or angry. There's not a day that goes by, that I don't have contact with some kind of spider, snake, rat, mouse, skunk, coyote, mountain lion or even once in a rare while, a bear. They're all around here where we live.

Snakes seem to love kitchen drawers, and the black widows love to spin webs in low corners in dark places, and they get annoyed when you blunder into the web. So the simple answer is to watch where you're going. The rattle snakes nest under logs and rocks, so you don't just go poking your hand into a pile of rocks, or kick a log out of the way. In the day time, the rattle snakes will be asleep in the sun, so just watch out not to rush up to rocks, asphalt, concrete, etc, without looking where you're walking. And if you leave a door open on a warm summer night, beware that gopher snakes love to sneak into bed and cuddle with warm humans uninvited!

Charles

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 12:02 pm

^
reminds me of an experience from a couple decades back. Was camping out in the deset & unbeknownst to me during the night a huge tarantula had crawled into my sleeping bag with me. I was too warm when i woke up, threw open my bag and whoa! There was a spider the size of my fist next to my bare tummy. I held very still, & it slowly walked across me, off my sleeping bag & away into the wilds.
:sunny:

AngelofDreams
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2012, 12:08 pm

I'm scared of most kinds of bugs, including spiders.
I am pretty scared of snakes too, but spiders are the worst!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 12:17 pm

I'm not afraid of snakes, but I am spiders. I hate spiders, I have nightmares about them a lot, and sometimes even wake up thinking there's one in my room, which makes me run up and switch my light on, only to realise I was just dreaming.

With snakes, a lot of people think that just because I'm a girl it means I'm going to be afraid of snakes. My friend was talking about getting a pet snake, and after he said it he looked at me as if to say ''I bet you're afraid of snakes?'' and so before he asked, I said, ''cool, I like snakes, just not the poison ones. But nobody likes poison ones.''

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 12:39 pm

depends on how poisenous they are, the common european adder wont do much to most people even if they are bitten.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

06 Jul 2012, 2:23 pm

Spiders don't scare me, and neither do snakes.

Giant lizards on the other hand... Keep those things away from me. :lol:

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 3:44 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm not afraid of snakes, but I am spiders. I hate spiders, I have nightmares about them a lot, and sometimes even wake up thinking there's one in my room, which makes me run up and switch my light on, only to realise I was just dreaming.

With snakes, a lot of people think that just because I'm a girl it means I'm going to be afraid of snakes. My friend was talking about getting a pet snake, and after he said it he looked at me as if to say ''I bet you're afraid of snakes?'' and so before he asked, I said, ''cool, I like snakes, just not the poison ones. But nobody likes poison ones.''

I have to conduct a "spider search" of my room prior to sleeping. Snakes (for me, anyways) are easier to spot and not as sneaky as spiders. I've never had a snake crawl up my pants and bite my legs several times, unlike spiders.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 4:59 pm

CyborgUprising wrote:
I love snakes but loathe spiders. Even pseudoarachnids like the pholcidae or opiliones terrify me :pale: .

ditto. Snakes feel really smooth and cold. But spiders give me major heebie jeebies.

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 10:24 pm

I'm not afraid of snakes, but I'm a little afraid of spiders because a Brown Recluse bit me when I was younger.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2012, 11:35 pm

I live in Australia. We eat snakes and spiders for breakfast. :lol:

Nah, I'm not scared of any animals. I just have respect for them and stay away from the deadly things as best I can (though I recently managed to have a redback spider crawl up my arm when I was trying to photograph it). I keep non-deadly snakes as pets.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 12:03 am

I hate spiders - they are one of those things that will send me running and screaming.

I love snakes though, they're awesome. I've kept quite a few as pets in the past.

Cesar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2012, 7:49 pm

I wouldn't eat them....

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 8:00 pm

I'm not scared of spiders or snakes in the slightest. Well, if the snake was especially venomous or was a HUGE constrictor (reticulated python or something) I might be perturbed but I think that is pretty healthy. But spiders definitely not at all. I actually have 5 pet spiders. The link below is a picture of one of them. If you are terrified of spiders and seeing a big one on the screen would make you freak: DO NOT CLICK THE LINK

http://postimage.org/image/t7pmeexar/

meems
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 9:09 pm

Spiders freak me out, the bigger, more docile ones are fine. Snakes are fine unless it's potentially dangerous. My dad has always had pet snakes. Huge, huge snakes. I guess I never developed a proper fear. I occasionally encounter rattlesnakes in my yard or neighborhood and they're dangerous, so I kill them whenever possible. Too many kids and small animals in my neighborhood to leave them to their own.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 9:19 pm

Usually spiders don't tend to be that big here, so I'm not particularly scared of them. If they were the size of invisiblesilent's spider, that would be a different story :lol: Not a fan of snakes either.