Would you like to be able to see air?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 6:06 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
Jitro wrote:
Would you like to be able to see air? I wouldn't, because I'd never be able to see anything else if I did.

Well I think I can. I can always see this kind of grainy texture, I ignore it most of the time because you have to but when I think about it I become very aware of it. It's not dust motes in the sunlight, it's this kind of molecule-y type of graininess in the atmosphere. I don't have vision problems and have regular eye tests. It's just an awareness of the texture of the air. Probably sounds weird to most people.

You hockey puck!

Thats not air that you're seeing.

Thats the rods and cones (light receptors) in the back of your own eyes!

Kind of the equivalent of grains in a photograph ( in old fashioned film photography), or the dots that make up photographs in newspapers and in magazines because of the printing process.

Everybody sees that.

Also- if you stare at the blank blue sky long enough you can see the ghostly shapes of disk shaped things that look like life savers. coursing around. Those are red blood cells circulating in the front of your eyes.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 9:03 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
Jitro wrote:
Would you like to be able to see air? I wouldn't, because I'd never be able to see anything else if I did.

Well I think I can. I can always see this kind of grainy texture, I ignore it most of the time because you have to but when I think about it I become very aware of it. It's not dust motes in the sunlight, it's this kind of molecule-y type of graininess in the atmosphere. I don't have vision problems and have regular eye tests. It's just an awareness of the texture of the air. Probably sounds weird to most people.

My daughter (6 ASD) claims she can see air. I know as a kid I could, too. I cannot anymore, though. But I have a vague memory of what it was like and it is as you described. A texture.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 9:04 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Thats not air that you're seeing.

Thats the rods and cones (light receptors) in the back of your own eyes!

I can still make myself aware of that. But it is not the same as what I saw as a child.

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Aug 2012, 9:48 pm

The air does have a very slight color to it, the problem is that its not dense and not reflective enough to see it, unless you look up and see it multiplied by several miles of air. If you could somehow increase your eyes sensitivity by about 10000x you could see air easily, as well as everything else.

jetbuilder wrote:
I'd rather be able to see a broader portion of the EM spectrum.

This would be cool. Especially if it worked like with Gary on Alphas, where he can see cellphone and wifi signals, and understand what they are saying. Even without that, it would still be cool.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 12:19 am

I think I'd rather see through things that are opaque and dense though you'd have to have some control over it for it to be meaningful. Since matter is said to be essentially empty space, I should like to disappear without a trace and reform later. It would be a good party trick.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Aug 2012, 12:29 am

You can see air, it's just not opaque enough!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 12:50 pm

in the summerlands you can see the "air" as a bunch of sparkling bits of light.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

11 Aug 2012, 2:36 pm

ever notice how when you look into the distance objects look kinda bluish grey, thats air folks!

Jojo

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2012, 3:24 pm

I think you can in L.A.,but I don't know if that qualifies as air anymore.