What mystery would you most like to know the answer to?

Page 7 of 13 [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 10:19 am

b9 wrote:
i have no idea why humans have little hair on their bodies, yet their head hair (if left unchecked) will grow to a ridiculous degree and eventually weigh them down to the point of immobility. if humans did not possess exceptional intelligence (the ability to calculate that it should be cut, and the technology(blades) to do so) compared to most animals, then they would be extinct.

why does people's head hair grow continuously ?

Here's a question I actually have an answer to. I took 3 semesters of biochemistry classes in college from a professor whose previous job was doing research on hair for a shampoo company. He addressed every subject in biochemistry from the perspective of hair research. I learned so much about hair and some about biochemistry.

Somebody in class did ask why human head hair grows continuously unlike hair anywhere else on humans and unlike animal fur. This question has nothing to do with biochemistry but if a professor talks about hair for 3 semesters, the question inevitably comes up. He said that human head hair does not actually grow continuously. It just seems that way because the lifespan of each hair is so long and in some people the lifespan is long enough for the hair to reach a couple feet. But actually each hair has a lifespan and the individual hair will fall out when its lifespan is over and a new hair will grow in that same hair follicle. The lifespans are not synchronized so that all the various hairs on a head are in different phases of the lifespan which gives the illusion of continuous growth.

Every person has a different lifespan for their hair strands. This means that for every person there is a length that their hair will grow to and will not exceed because the strands will fall out in an unsynchronized manner. If a person never cuts their hair (and some people never do) it will reach the length that reflects each hair's lifespan and get no longer. With most people this turns out to be somewhere between halfway and all the way down their back.* There have been a few people here and there who have grown hair down to their feet but hair strand lifespan that long is pretty unusual. Hair scientists (like my former biochemistry professor) have been able to chart typical hair lengths because from time to time it is the fashion for women and sometimes men to grow hair until it reaches the end of its' lifespan. This was a common hippie fashion in the US in the late 60's and into the 70's. I remember some men who ceased cutting their hair entirely but couldn't get it past their middle back. One man got it down to his lower back.

He said that it was sexual selection that drove the length of human head hair. Lots of head hair has been considered sexually attractive for millenia, apparently.

*edited to add that for people with kinky hair, the hair grows longer and longer to its lifespan but will seem to grow out rather than down, as in the giant afros of the 60's and 70's.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 11:01 am

Nice to know that some of these questions actually have an answer.

(Generally speaking, I find women with longer hair more attractive.)

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 3:47 am

Sikhs are not allowed to cut their hair.

Crystal Gayle grew her hair to floor length.

Sylkat

b9
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 6:25 am

Janissy wrote:
b9 wrote:
i have no idea why humans have little hair on their bodies, yet their head hair (if left unchecked) will grow to a ridiculous degree and eventually weigh them down to the point of immobility. if humans did not possess exceptional intelligence (the ability to calculate that it should be cut, and the technology(blades) to do so) compared to most animals, then they would be extinct.

why does people's head hair grow continuously ?

Here's a question I actually have an answer to. I took 3 semesters of biochemistry classes in college from a professor whose previous job was doing research on hair for a shampoo company. He addressed every subject in biochemistry from the perspective of hair research. I learned so much about hair and some about biochemistry.

Somebody in class did ask why human head hair grows continuously unlike hair anywhere else on humans and unlike animal fur. This question has nothing to do with biochemistry but if a professor talks about hair for 3 semesters, the question inevitably comes up. He said that human head hair does not actually grow continuously. It just seems that way because the lifespan of each hair is so long and in some people the lifespan is long enough for the hair to reach a couple feet. But actually each hair has a lifespan and the individual hair will fall out when its lifespan is over and a new hair will grow in that same hair follicle. The lifespans are not synchronized so that all the various hairs on a head are in different phases of the lifespan which gives the illusion of continuous growth.

Every person has a different lifespan for their hair strands. This means that for every person there is a length that their hair will grow to and will not exceed because the strands will fall out in an unsynchronized manner. If a person never cuts their hair (and some people never do) it will reach the length that reflects each hair's lifespan and get no longer. With most people this turns out to be somewhere between halfway and all the way down their back.* There have been a few people here and there who have grown hair down to their feet but hair strand lifespan that long is pretty unusual. Hair scientists (like my former biochemistry professor) have been able to chart typical hair lengths because from time to time it is the fashion for women and sometimes men to grow hair until it reaches the end of its' lifespan. This was a common hippie fashion in the US in the late 60's and into the 70's. I remember some men who ceased cutting their hair entirely but couldn't get it past their middle back. One man got it down to his lower back.

He said that it was sexual selection that drove the length of human head hair. Lots of head hair has been considered sexually attractive for millenia, apparently.

*edited to add that for people with kinky hair, the hair grows longer and longer to its lifespan but will seem to grow out rather than down, as in the giant afros of the 60's and 70's.

thank you for your answer.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 7:42 am

Hobbits have hairy feet.

Sylkat

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 10:55 am

Why do foods that are bad for you taste the best? Shouldn't the mind want things that are healthy and repair the body the most efficiently?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 3:50 pm

What exactly makes NT hard for us to understand and the physical differences between AS and NT brains.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 4:53 pm

Who were the inhabitants of Pumapunku? Why are the stone ruins shaped so oddly? What did the buildings look like? What disaster befell them that scattered the stones like we find then today?

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 5:13 pm

sluice wrote:
Why do foods that are bad for you taste the best? Shouldn't the mind want things that are healthy and repair the body the most efficiently?

Because until maybe 10000-15000 years ago we were not widely settled. Humans then would have been nomadic hunter-gatherers. Being a hunter-gatherer is a hard existence and food resources were scarce. We would have basically been living on a knife edge between survival and death quite often. In that situation survival is largely about getting as many calories inside you as possible; you can survive for years without proper nutrition as long as you are getting a good number of calories. So, the common human taste for unhealthy i.e. sugary and fatty foods is an adaptation to the life our species lived for most of our evolutionary history - for most of our existence there was never an excess of sugary, fatty food and it made good survival sense to get as much of it in us as possible when the opportunity presented itself. Back then those were *healthy* foods. Nowadays of course the opposite is true - sugary, fatty food is everywhere - but evolution didn't catch up yet.

Last edited by invisiblesilent on 16 Sep 2012, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackDwarf
Toucan
Toucan

16 Sep 2012, 5:14 pm

Why do holes keep appearing in my socks.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 8:14 pm

Perhaps those are not holes at all;
Perhaps they are portals to other dimensions......

Sylkat 8O

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 2:01 am

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 3:45 am

The pterodactyl.

Sylkat

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 5:31 am

Here's on I DARE you to answer.

Who is Sylkat?
And what year did you graduate from Miskatonic University?

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 7:50 am

Me.

And:
Same questions for you......

Sylkat

BlackDwarf
Toucan
Toucan

17 Sep 2012, 8:03 am

Sylkat wrote:
Perhaps those are not holes at all;
Perhaps they are portals to other dimensions......

Sylkat 8O

Well these portals are costing me a fortune.