Page 4 of 13 [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 6:14 am

Do I remember VHS? I remember the days before VHS, when, if you wanted to see something on TV, you had to be in when it was shown. Some neighbours had them when I was about 7, but I'm sure I was about 16 when my parents finally got one (when my husband appeared on the scene and introduced us to all the newfangled ideas). At that time, I had an old record player and, for Christmas, he bought me a midi system (with turntable and tape decks).

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 6:27 am

I have a VHS recorder set up with my TV and Cable box. Than there is a build in one on my TV in the livingroom. I was born long before VHS players or recorders went on the market. TV sets were just barely coming into the home when I was born. Yeah, those analog jobs with only 2 or 3 stations and had round little screens. I was one of the first people in my town to own a personal home computer as well. It didn't even have a hard drive and as long as it was left on the data was stored in chips. Back then, if I didn't want to lose the programs I worked so hard on I either had to print them out on these funky little printers that look more like adding machines or record them on a tape recorder. Talk about feeling old. LOL

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 6:30 am

AliceInAspieland wrote:
I remember VHS! I also remember putting crackers in the video slot. I thought it was some special mailbox and that if you put things in there it got sent to the people on the TV. I worked out that they were connected somehow.

Anyone remember cassette tapes? Records? Analog Photography or Cameras?

I know what a record is.

I also remember cassette tapes. I don't use those anymore either.

Last edited by KyleTheGhost on 20 Sep 2012, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 10:28 am

AliceInAspieland wrote:
I remember VHS! I also remember putting crackers in the video slot. I thought it was some special mailbox and that if you put things in there it got sent to the people on the TV. I worked out that they were connected somehow.

I once put coke can pieces in the VCR and my dad started cursing.

We still have cameras but they are digital now. I remember the film ones and you had to take them to get them developed and if you messed up with a photo, that photo was wasted. Now today you can just delete it off your card.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 10:29 am

nick007 wrote:
AliceInAspieland wrote:

I didn't get a CD player till I was in 7th or 8th grade; it was a big stereo thing& I still have it. I quit listening to my cassettes along time ago. I still have them but I think they're going to get donated to Good Will next time my parents drop off stuff there; I pirated the 1s I really liked online.
I had a record player when I was little but I only had a couple records & they were kiddie type 1s. I gave it back to my parents when I was little too or maybe it broke then.
I knew of analog photography & cameras but I never used them; I have vision problems. I never even used the camera on my droid4 that I 've been having a few months

I was in six grade when I got mine. It was just a portable one.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 10:32 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
Do I remember VHS? I remember the days before VHS, when, if you wanted to see something on TV, you had to be in when it was shown. Some neighbours had them when I was about 7, but I'm sure I was about 16 when my parents finally got one (when my husband appeared on the scene and introduced us to all the newfangled ideas). At that time, I had an old record player and, for Christmas, he bought me a midi system (with turntable and tape decks).

I remember my parents saying you had to go to the movie theater to see a movie. I am sure lot of movies were re released back then and now today it's rare. But the hardest part is if you wanted to see a specific movie, you were screwed because it wasn't always playing in theaters. I wonder if they showed movies on TV back in the days?

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2012, 3:02 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

I remember my parents saying you had to go to the movie theater to see a movie. I am sure lot of movies were re released back then and now today it's rare. But the hardest part is if you wanted to see a specific movie, you were screwed because it wasn't always playing in theaters. I wonder if they showed movies on TV back in the days?

According to my dad they did show movies on TV.

I still use VHS occasionally, since my stepdad has all of monty python on VHS.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 5:20 pm

I had a BetaMax. I was sure that would win out over VHS. I still, to this day, have Beta tapes I made of some interesting TV programmmes. (I keep believing that one fine day I'll meet someone with a functioning BetaMax.)

japan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2012, 6:00 pm

Yep. I still have a VHS player and several movies too. It makes me feel old...

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 5:53 pm

VHS=Video Home System

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 5:59 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:
AliceInAspieland wrote:

I know a record is.

I also remember cassette tapes. I don't use those anymore either.

My mom has loads of cassette tapes and records along with a record player. She doesn't use the record player anymore because she believes using one makes her feel weird.

Anyone still have a Walkman or a Discman? A Boom Box maybe?

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 10:03 pm

I do! I do! Me me me! *Raises hand in the air and waves it around*

I had a TON of VHS tapes when I was a kid (mostly Disney and Land Before Time ones) and when the animated show Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was on Cartoon Network every Friday night, I would tape the episodes on VHs's, too. I think they're still at my parents' house. :D I'm still keeping them around, tho, cuz I found a combo DVD/VHS player a year or so ago. I have, however, gotten DVD versions of some of my favorite movies, such as Chicken Run and The Brave Little Toaster. I still want to get DVD versions of the first Land Before Time, Finding Nemo, and The Prince of Egypt, too.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 1:12 pm

For a time I sold VHS movies on Ebay. I managed to rack up a 100% positive rating, which is helpful on Ebay. But now I still have a shelf loaded with them, and my player has no audio. And I'm no longer interested in selling them for next to nothing and boxing them up for shipping.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 5:00 pm

I use VHS tapes all of the time.
Have one of those combo TV's that has both tape and a DVD player built into the TV set.

I tape shows all of the time.
Just taped an interview with the late Chuck Brown from local tv.

And half or more of my movie collection is on VHS.

So VHS tapes are still very much in the present tense in my life.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 6:19 pm

I remember them very well, but I'm not a fan. There were sort of a luxury when I was born.

I still play most of my music on vinyl, though - but I wouldn't dream of going back to cassettes.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 1:33 am

Yep. I remember when my parents and I got our first VHS VCR. I was about 10 or 11 at the time and thought it was the coolest thing ever. 8)

I recorded a LOT of shows I wanted to keep. I remember attempting to get all of FRAGGLE ROCK when it aired on TNT, but at a certain point they stopped, so I didn't get the entire series. I think I'm missing the last season and a half--yes, I still have them, somewhere, even though I haven't attempted to play them in years, and I do have a combination VCR/DVD.

I was also deeply annoyed when the video rental stores started phasing out VHS tapes in favor of DVDs. (I felt the same way about the disappearance of 3.5" floppy disks, too.)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17