Page 4 of 13 [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 9:19 pm

I've got a drawer full of VHS tapes and a few audio cassette tapes that are even older. Many of them I've ripped to digital files because they won't last forever and my VCR does not work as well as it used to.

VHS did have its advantages. It was cheaper than DVD initially, and was better to have around kids (provided that they did not put foreign objects into the VCR) - the big tapes were easier to handle and less prone to scratching than DVDs. The same goes for cassettes - I got a cassette recorder for my 7th birthday, which meant that my brothers and I could listen to Little Red Riding Hood or Thundercats whenever we wanted to - my parents wouldn't let us touch the CDs

Parasol
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 9:27 pm

I remember VHS when I was young. My mom and I would go into a rental store and rent a VHS or a DVD. Heck, I still have some VHS with me still and that rewind machine. Don't see any VHS or any rental stores anymore. I miss them and I don't want to use Netflix. I think I got rid of a lot of VHS movies when I got older because I didn't like the movies at all.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 9:36 pm

In '88 I bought a 4 head HI-FI VCR for a load of cash. It had a built in mirror for checking the drive mechanism while playing. I remember having to demagnetize the head with a "demagnetizer." :lol: I had a separate rewinder to rewind the tapes ( at high speed) and this saved the wear on the unit.

How many here remember the Beta Max or the eight track tapes in cars? auntblabby raises hand. :lol:

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2012, 11:03 pm

Mdyar wrote:
"demagnetizer."

or a "degausser"

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 11:19 pm

Mdyar wrote:
In '88 I bought a 4 head HI-FI VCR for a load of cash. It had a built in mirror for checking the drive mechanism while playing. I remember having to demagnetize the head with a "demagnetizer." :lol: I had a separate rewinder to rewind the tapes ( at high speed) and this saved the wear on the unit.

How many here remember the Beta Max or the eight track tapes in cars? auntblabby raises hand. :lol:

i just googled in to be sure, glad i did.

i know of and own a 4 track and know of 8 track studio multitrack recorders, not the same as the casettes.

all before ym time though.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Sep 2012, 11:29 pm

My mom actually still uses VCRs to record live TV. Mom likes being able to record different shows on different VCRs & then being able to being the tapes to different rooms to watch latter instead of being onlay able to watch in the room she recorded in in. Mom also likes being able to bring tapes to my grandma's house if my grandma missed out on watching the soapopera mom watches that she taped or if mom tapped something on the food network that my grandma may like; my mom doesn't like watching live TV much. Her & dad also don't want to have to learn or buy new technology or have to pay a subscription fee for anything

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 11:36 pm

Still have all the above and they work fine but I also have a Kindle and an iPod.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 1:16 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
I mentioned this before, but I still walk around with a Sony Discman. I dunno, I just like having something with substance in my pocket. I don't care that it can only carry 17-20 tracks max on one disc, I don't need a hundred songs when I'm taking a 40-minute walk.

Also, I think I mentioned this before, but I recently had to explain to a co-worker who is 6 years younger than I am, what a Super NES is. The first console he played was an N64. :D

I was born in 1985 and I didn't even know the old NES exist until I was 13. I asked what the old Nintendo looked like when I ask what the old Nintendo was. SNES was the farthest back I knew.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

hakunamatata
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Sep 2012, 1:20 am

some of my favorite movies are on VHS at my grandparents' house... Fantasia, The Neverending Story, Secret Garden, etc. I am overflowing with bittersweet nostalgia now.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 1:25 am

I am playing the Teletubbies VHS tape for my son right now.

AliceInAspieland
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Sep 2012, 2:29 am

I remember VHS! I also remember putting crackers in the video slot. I thought it was some special mailbox and that if you put things in there it got sent to the people on the TV. I worked out that they were connected somehow.

Anyone remember cassette tapes? Records? Analog Photography or Cameras?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Sep 2012, 3:40 am

AliceInAspieland wrote:

I didn't get a CD player till I was in 7th or 8th grade; it was a big stereo thing& I still have it. I quit listening to my cassettes along time ago. I still have them but I think they're going to get donated to Good Will next time my parents drop off stuff there; I pirated the 1s I really liked online.
I had a record player when I was little but I only had a couple records & they were kiddie type 1s. I gave it back to my parents when I was little too or maybe it broke then.
I knew of analog photography & cameras but I never used them; I have vision problems. I never even used the camera on my droid4 that I 've been having a few months

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 6:14 am

Do I remember VHS? I remember the days before VHS, when, if you wanted to see something on TV, you had to be in when it was shown. Some neighbours had them when I was about 7, but I'm sure I was about 16 when my parents finally got one (when my husband appeared on the scene and introduced us to all the newfangled ideas). At that time, I had an old record player and, for Christmas, he bought me a midi system (with turntable and tape decks).

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 6:27 am

I have a VHS recorder set up with my TV and Cable box. Than there is a build in one on my TV in the livingroom. I was born long before VHS players or recorders went on the market. TV sets were just barely coming into the home when I was born. Yeah, those analog jobs with only 2 or 3 stations and had round little screens. I was one of the first people in my town to own a personal home computer as well. It didn't even have a hard drive and as long as it was left on the data was stored in chips. Back then, if I didn't want to lose the programs I worked so hard on I either had to print them out on these funky little printers that look more like adding machines or record them on a tape recorder. Talk about feeling old. LOL

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 6:30 am

AliceInAspieland wrote:
I remember VHS! I also remember putting crackers in the video slot. I thought it was some special mailbox and that if you put things in there it got sent to the people on the TV. I worked out that they were connected somehow.

I know what a record is.

I also remember cassette tapes. I don't use those anymore either.

Last edited by KyleTheGhost on 20 Sep 2012, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 10:28 am

AliceInAspieland wrote:

I once put coke can pieces in the VCR and my dad started cursing.

We still have cameras but they are digital now. I remember the film ones and you had to take them to get them developed and if you messed up with a photo, that photo was wasted. Now today you can just delete it off your card.