Page 9 of 13 [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 7:40 pm

collectoritis wrote:
BASF 5 hr tapes was the worst crap *ever* , always faulty........I always used to joke that the germans invented those (out of spite) cuz they lost the war :lol:

I remember those...and I agree wholeheartedly. Right out of the plastic wrap, whatever I recorded on them looked awful. Kodak, Sony and Magnavox tapes worked better.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 7:41 pm

conundrum wrote:
collectoritis wrote:
BASF 5 hr tapes was the worst crap *ever* , always faulty........I always used to joke that the germans invented those (out of spite) cuz they lost the war :lol:

I remember those...and I agree wholeheartedly. Right out of the plastic wrap, whatever I recorded on them looked awful. Kodak, Sony and Magnavox tapes worked better.

I'm glad I never ran into that problem with them.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 7:18 am

I found TDK 4 hr tapes the best :)

Trivia : Aki's white Toyota 2000 GT had a VHS recorder in 007 YOLT , quite amazing in 1966 ;)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 12:44 pm

I just gave away a box of VHS tapes unused, wish some of you were closer to me so I coulda given 'em to you all.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 4:02 pm

My mother and sister still have a lot of VHS tapes, though they don't watch many of them anymore. They do still tape TV shows off cable when they can, but even new blank VHS tapes (yes, they're still made) play nowhere near the same as the actual broadcast. I think its a digital-to-analog issue, personally.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 4:07 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
My mother and sister still have a lot of VHS tapes, though they don't watch many of them anymore. They do still tape TV shows off cable when they can, but even new blank VHS tapes (yes, they're still made) play nowhere near the same as the actual broadcast. I think its a digital-to-analog issue, personally.

it is mainly a resolution issue- VHS tops out at around 250 lines of resolution whereas digital is 480. it is something like taking a picture with a 110 camera as opposed to a 35 mm camera.

a_subtle_presence
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Apr 2014, 8:14 pm

Do I remember VCRs? Yeah. Born in '96 and very proud to say I do remember them. My favorite tape was a Winnie the Pooh storybook thing.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 9:12 pm

I remember VCRs, although I am not astonished at the idea that 'modern' kids don't really know about them. Mainly it's because they haven't lived long enough to know many things yet or have been exposed to it, not because they are unable to or that they might have gadgets that would be considered fantastical 20 years ago. I didn't know about the common tech of the 70s (8-Tracks) until I was a bit older (maybe 14-15) but that was because most people didn't keep the stuff around or that it was stored away once the 'newer and better' stuff (cassette tapes) came out.

If their parents kept one out and used it, the kid would know about it as well as anyone older who grew up with the technology when it was more common. If I had kids and a phonograph, the kids would know about the phonograph as well as anyone who was around when they were more widely used (late 1800s.)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 9:16 pm

as a child of the 60s and 70s I was exposed to 78 rpm phonograph recordings and got to hear an acoustic 78 rpm phonograph in action.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 6:26 am

I like to consider myself a VHS child. 8)

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 7:37 am

I stumbled across a VHS while going through some boxes the other day. I know the content and do not want to throw it out, but I'm not interested enough to pursue getting it transferred to digital either. I do still have some cassette tapes that one day I may (or may not) care enough about to digitize them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 4:13 pm

I thought it was a marvel that one could watch a TV show after the show was actually shown. In 1981, there was no such thing as a "video store" like Blockbuster. By 1983, they were ubiquitous.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 4:17 pm

what I have found to be the case, is that whenever a given technology is on the verge of obsolescence, last minute breakthroughs render it in a perfected mode, almost like a last gasp. for example, the last 8-tracks sold incorporated a tangle-free technology which also greatly improved the playability of the cartridge. new high-bias tape formulations and dolby B noise reduction rendered the sound quality very close to open reel quality. VHS at the last had a quasi high-band mode which gave it 400 lines of resolution and greatly improved noise performance. compact cassettes were all using dolby S noise reduction [Dolby's condition for S licensure was improved heads and improved tape handling performance/low wow and flutter] and high-bias also, with results equal to open reel. Phillips, in another last gasp attempt to lengthen the lifespan of cassette tape technology, introduced the Digital Compact Cassette which was backwards compatible with older analog cassettes, it had excellent CD-quality sound and was recordable to boot, alas, it was all too late.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 12:17 am

I wished I had video tapes of shows I watched in the 70s.

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

14 Feb 2018, 7:37 pm

Oh my gosh, I had hundreds, maybe even a THOUSAND VHS tapes when I was young. Nearly every Disney movie and kids movie you could think of, as well as a few obscure direct-to-video titles like Annabelle's Wish and some Italian Ali Baba cartoon.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 7:42 pm

Who remembers what an 8-track tape player is?

Who remembers what a "portable record player" looks like.

VCR's were absolutely the cutting edge when I was an adolescent/young adult.