Page 7 of 13 [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 2:30 pm

I would expect kids not knowing what a VHS is given that they were very little when they were still being made and they might not remember them. Some born later may only grow up with a DVD player and not know what a VCR is or a VHS. My son might know what they are because we still have one and our VHS movies. I knew what an 8 track was because my parents had one. Then I knew what records were too because I had seen them on TV and my teacher had one. But when I saw a beta tape, I thought it was a smaller VHS tape. I would expect kids to think a laser disc is a huge DVD if they saw one.

In fact when I first saw DVDs when I was 12, I didn't even know what they were. This was in 1997 and I can remember the days when stores had a small section of them and the majority were still VHS tapes and then it was half and then it was mostly DVDs by the time I was in high school and they still sold VHS. Then around 2006, all the VHS tapes disappeared from stores overnight. I can remember some people at work making a big deal about it because they didn't have much money and it was an issue for them they stopped making them. I wonder if they still make the players. Once ours breaks, time to get rid of our VHS tapes if they don't make them anymore.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 4:01 pm

VHS????

I even know what a BETA MAX is!

Though I never owned a beta tape (not sure if ive ever even handled one-maybe in a second hand store).

They were a physically slightly smaller tape format that competed with VHS.

I'm still catching up on my collection of VHS movies.

Have a TV set with both built in VHS, and DVD player.

Just saw Cider House Rules, on VHS.

One more down, several more VHS's to go.

Then I can start on my back copies of DVD's.

I'll reach the 21st Centurey yet!

I remember the brief moment when there were "Laser Discs"- twelve inch precusers of DVD's for movies. We saw them demonstrated on an automatic player at Woodward and Lothrop in the early Nineties. We were awestruck. Remember thinking that they were like having a movie projector that could double as a slide projector. A reel of movie film has thousands of frames. But if you stop the film with light at full intenisity it just burns a hole in the film. But these new fangled laserdiscs could be used either way- for moving pictures- or to store thousands of stills- so you could do a slide-show of every painting in the Louvre- as easily as you could run a feature length movie.

Like most folks we never bought a laser disc player. A fortnight after they were invented someone figured out how to put the same data on to a five inch disc- and we had modern DVD's.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 7:17 pm

I remember when I was in elementary school having a huge collection of Disney Movies and the original Star Wars trilogy Special Edition + Phantom Menace.
I had an obsession with pushing the rewind and fast forward button when watching Star Wars.
One of the tapes had 3 movies: Aladdin, Aladdin and the King of Thieves, and Oliver and Company on it.
Every morning on weekends I would sneak into the movie cabinet, grab a random tape and watch it.
In 2004 or 05 we got rid of the VCR because everything was turning to DVD. The VHS tapes went with it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 8:24 pm

I saw my first VCR in 1977. It was a Betamax. It cost about $2000. It wasn't mine. The first movie I ever saw on a VCR was "Oh God," with George Burns on that same Betamax, which weighed about 40 pounds,

Who remembers 8-track tapes? And combination TV's-Stereo-radios also known as Consoles? In order to see those Consoles, you have to watch old "Let's Make a Deal" tapings on YouTube. They were actually nice

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 10:36 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Vh7E8v_0A[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fMdq2aOJVg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzTikmbyoAE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8h5OEivJdA[/youtube]

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 11:27 pm

You'd have to be under a media free rock to not know what came before CDs.

VHS [and cassettes] would still be the best for recording things for playback in regards to reliability.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 11:47 pm

I only watched them when I was little. Now I hardly even use DVDs. I just stream stuff online instead.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 1:19 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I saw my first VCR in 1977. It was a Betamax. It cost about $2000. It wasn't mine. The first movie I ever saw on a VCR was "Oh God," with George Burns on that same Betamax, which weighed about 40 pounds,

Who remembers 8-track tapes? And combination TV's-Stereo-radios also known as Consoles? In order to see those Consoles, you have to watch old "Let's Make a Deal" tapings on YouTube. They were actually nice

The first movie my husband saw on VHS was Dumbo for his 8th birthday and he rented the machine and the movie.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 1:23 am

One of the first VHS vidoes I watched was Disney's sing along songs Zip a Dee Doo Dah and Heigh Ho. Then I got Bambi for Christmas in 1989 along with some Golden storybook videos. I also had that Nursery Rhyme video tape. We mostly rented movies then or taped movies off of the TV channels.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 2:39 am

the first pre-recorded VHS I ever saw was a pink picture, in 1984. didn't see my first mainstream movie until I was in the army circa 1985. I saw my first sony Betamax in action at the seattle uwajimayas store in 1975, and I remember being amazed and impressed with the picture quality on a sony Trinitron 19" set that was playing the tape.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 2:40 am

One of the first videos I watched was "Back to the future". My father had borrowed it from a colleague.

There were 3 videos I played over and over as a child. "Mystery at Castle House" (Aussie kiddie movie), "Lassie Rescue Ranger" cartoon, and Pink Floyd's "The Wall" (which really annoyed my father, who owned the latter, but I liked it so much so I still played it when I thought he wouldn't find out).

kraftiekortie wrote:
Who remembers what a record player is?

Of course I remember record players. My father had one, I actually think it's still in the basement, along with a lot of records.
They could be a little hard to use, it was easy to let go of the 'arm' too quickly so the stylus could make a dent in the record. I damaged one of my favorite records that way. :cry:

There was one record with a fairy tale that I loved playing when I was eating eggs. It had nothing to do with eggs, but for some reason I connected the two. This would be when I was just about the age of first grade.

Quote:
Who remembers 8-track tapes? And combination TV's-Stereo-radios also known as Consoles?

I don't know if any of them ever were available here in Norway. If they were, they weren't owned by anyone in my family.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 2:44 am

Skilpadde wrote:
Quote:
Who remembers 8-track tapes? And combination TV's-Stereo-radios also known as Consoles?

I don't know if any of them ever were available here in Norway. If they were, they weren't owned by anyone in my family.

I remember working in a radio shack store in 1978 and the 8 track machines of the day sounded better than 99% of the cassette machines. and my parents had a huge old sears silvertone console, its sound quality was far from silver, however- muffled and grungy with boomy bass.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 1:47 pm

I remember VHS very well; my family only got rid of our player and most tapes this time last year (save family videos). I was also learned how to use cassettes as a 5 year old, and still have my CD Walkman (which I used on a car trip last summer because my iPod died). I also found my dads surprisingly well-preserved record collection and we've resolved to buy a turntable sometime soon.

I actually remember my first DVD. When I was 7 (early 2004), we went to Target, bought a VHS/DVD combo player, and got the oh-so memorable Disney Peter Pan sequel (you know, one of those straight-to-video Disney movies). A week later my mom signed up for Netflix and the first thing we got was Pollyanna.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 2:47 pm

I've got boxes full of VHS tapes that I have to make myself dub onto DVD-R someday soon. like a time capsule they contain 1980s television programming on them, commercials and all.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 5:01 am

Yeah, hell I even remember what beta is!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 6:26 am

We didn't get a VCR until I was primary school aged. My family wasn't that well off. I remember using it all the time to record the Rage top 50 off the TV on a saturday morning.