Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 12:35 am

That's all thats being made now and it's real hard to find real bulbs. I already stocked up on real ones though so I'm safe for a while.

The new ones will look terrible in some light fixtures where the bulbs are seen. I've seen them in someone elses ceiling fan. It's horrible looking. I'll have to get globes for my fan lights when I run out of real bulbs, instead of the open glass things I have for it.

Thats not the problem thats been bugging me about them though. What I want to know is whats going to happen to the Easy Bake Oven now? Those twisty bulbs don't heat up. You can't bake a four inch round cake with one of those! Really, how are they going to work this?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Sep 2012, 12:41 am

My dad filled up lots of storage bins with the old kind when they were on sale. I hate the new 1s because the light isn't as good. The old 1s had to go because the new 1s were supposedly better for the environment but they have hazardous materials in them that require special disposal. I think the politicians who pushed the new 1s were getting money from the people who made the new kind

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 1:04 am

The new ones are worse for the environment just in a different way. They contain mercury. Some states won't even let you throw them in the trash and make you take them to the dump. Also, breaking one can cause toxic levels of mercury in your house. But hey, for the environment, right?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

22 Sep 2012, 1:06 am

I use those. Yeah, the mercury problem is a trade off, I guess; swap one problem from another; you go from using too much power to being a chemical hazard.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 1:18 am

Yes, the chemicals are bad. We've already had two break. Not to mention, those are florescent, and are major triggers for those of us w/ light sensitivity. The only cool thing about them is that they are twisty.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 1:34 am

metaldanielle wrote:
Yes, the chemicals are bad. We've already had two break. Not to mention, those are florescent, and are major triggers for those of us w/ light sensitivity. The only cool thing about them is that they are twisty.
I was going to say something similar, not good for people who have migraines.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 1:51 am

1000Knives wrote:
The new ones are worse for the environment just in a different way. They contain mercury. Some states won't even let you throw them in the trash and make you take them to the dump. Also, breaking one can cause toxic levels of mercury in your house. But hey, for the environment, right?

For the natural one but not for the household one

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 2:20 am

The heat that come from the bulbs is even less compared to other bulbs with the same wattage...

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 2:29 am

I'm not driving out to the dump for light bulbs. I will put them in the garbage can and put that bag in my garbage can outside and the garbage men can take it to the dump because thats their job.

You are also not supposed to throw paint cans (empty or full) in the garbage but everybody I know does.

I want to know what will happen to the Easy Bake Oven!

Also, I have some small lamps that have shades that clip onto the bulb with a wire inside them. That wont work on the twisty ones.

What about Christmas lights and decorative bulbs like the flame shaped ones in chandeliers?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Sep 2012, 10:09 am

Those CFL bulbs were the #1 cause of household electrical fires in Ventura County, CA for 2010 or so. VERY dangerous! They can short out and burst into flames. I had this happen, and God bless, it was in our barn, which is steel with concrete floors. Even when they don't manage to burst into flames, they can stink up the whole house with acrid smoke, and I've had several of them do that (before the barn incident).

Charles

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2012, 11:50 am

I personally believe CFL technology is a transition between incandescent and LED. Good enough LEDs when available can be so much as solar powered, which will mean death to the natural resource tycoons in that regard. But they will have already made their money anyhow, so I guess everyone will win.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 12:11 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
What about Christmas lights and decorative bulbs like the flame shaped ones in chandeliers?

I heard specialty type lightbulbs can still be made the old way

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 12:44 pm

The other bulbs that'll still be incandescent are industrial incandescent bulbs, that have a longer life than household ones. So the easy bake oven will still work, but yeah. Industrial bulbs are expensive, though, like $2-3 per bulb.

I got the bulbs in my house, but I think it's a dumb plan. LED ones will be better, I'm sure, but, CFLs are crap.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm

If they ever decide to make Christmas lights like that, I'm going to have a fit.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 12:49 pm

I thought my tired eyes were seeing "Those new tasty light bulbs..." If by "twisty" you mean CFLs, I have to say on the record that those are the most abysmal lightbulbs ever produced. Our university used them in the apartments and dorms. They couldn't even put out enough light to power the solar calculators we had to purchase. I had to take an LED flashlight to turn on my calculator. The rooms looked blue-ish and dim, so painting was an issue since the colors never appeared correctly. Not to mention the so-called "green" bulbs contain mercury and cannot be tossed in the garbage.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2012, 12:55 pm

CyborgUprising wrote:
I thought my tired eyes were seeing "Those new tasty light bulbs..." If by "twisty" you mean CFLs, I have to say on the record that those are the most abysmal lightbulbs ever produced. Our university used them in the apartments and dorms. They couldn't even put out enough light to power the solar calculators we had to purchase. I had to take an LED flashlight to turn on my calculator. The rooms looked blue-ish and dim, so painting was an issue since the colors never appeared correctly. Not to mention the so-called "green" bulbs contain mercury and cannot be tossed in the garbage.

What I don't get is that they are supposed to use less power but you get crappy light from them so you have to use more of them to get close to the same ammount of light that you would with the old type of bulbs. How are you saving power when your having to use 2wice as many :?: :duh: