Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

patdbunny
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Oct 2012, 1:21 pm

Pretend you're in First Grade.

You move to another country.

At school, you and your classmates gather around the flag pole to do the pledge of allegiance to ___ (insert new country here) __.

What do you do?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 1:23 pm

I copy them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Oct 2012, 1:28 pm

i respectfully stand quietly while they do their flag ritual.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 2:00 pm

I stare at them wondering what they're doing, thinking them weird and silly. I stand about passively, not copying them, not asking any questions, and once they're done, I'll feel confused and unimpressed with their rituals, which I would no doubt find as boring and lame as I did the church services elementary school forced us to go to.
I wouldn't pick up on saying it no matter how many years I spent in school in that country. Just like I didn't sing in music, and didn't mutter good morning when the teacher greeted us daily.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Last edited by Skilpadde on 27 Oct 2012, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 2:06 pm

MaKin wrote:
i respectfully stand quietly while they do their flag ritual.

^^^ This

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 10:53 am

If I understood the language, I'd probably go along with it. I'm just a kid, after all.
If I didn't understand the language, I'd just stand there and watch.

patdbunny

25 Oct 2012, 11:11 am

Thanks for the responses so far. Please keep them coming.
I've given this hypothetical to everyone I know and I'm still gathering data.
Mindsigh - To clarify, yes, "you" do understand and can communicate in the language of the new country.

I actually went through this and in hindsight my reaction was a bit bizarre for a 5/6 year old. Not sure if it has anything to do with AS.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 1:07 pm

patdbunny wrote:
I actually went through this and in hindsight my reaction was a bit bizarre for a 5/6 year old. Not sure if it has anything to do with AS.

Now I'm curious. I look forward to hearing what you did, patdbunny!

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 1:31 am

Skilpadde wrote:
I stare at them wondering what they're doing, thinking them weird and silly. I stand about passively, not copying them, not asking any questions, and once they're done, I'll feel confused and unimpressed with their rituals, which I would no doubt find as boring and lame as I did the church services elementary school forced us to go to.
I wouldn't pick up on saying it no matter how many years I spent in school in that country. Just like I didn't sing in music, and didn't mutter good morning when the teacher greeted us daily.

mostly that. as a kid i thought it was stupid to have to declare allegiance to a country. what if you didn't identify as belonging to it? what if you thought what it did was wrong or stupid? what if you just hated it? i do not like declaring my fealty to a government or country. this is why i did not like the guide promise when i was a kid. it is kinda similar to a pledge: "i promise to do my best to serve the queen and my country". i am glad i do not live in america or i would have been forced into doing just that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 7:39 am

Never understood it, and never even understood that I didnt understand it.

In gradeschool it was what we did.
Though I had trouble with the concept of how America could be "one nation INVISIBLE, with liberty and justice blah blah".

Like.. does that mean if you were driving north from Mexico and crossed the Rio Grande you would just magically appear in Canada without having seen the USA? How did the USA keep itsself 'invisible'?

Our Fifth Grade teacher (the only male teacher I had in gradeschool-not that that particularly relevent) was a maverich and replied "its just standing up and mumbling a bunch of words you dont know the meaning of" when asked why we didnt do the pledge in his class.

But if I were in Ethiopia and all the other six year olds were pledging allegiance- I would do it too- cause it would be the thing to do- cause I would be just a six year old myself with no opinion and no attitude about it.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 10:06 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Though I had trouble with the concept of how America could be "one nation INVISIBLE, with liberty and justice blah blah".

That sounds so much cooler than the original!

I've never been a follower so I stand by my original reply. I should add that I'm not American, so I don't have to think "what if I wasn't used to this?". I'm not used to it, we have never done anything like that. We have no pledge of allegiance and we never assembled by the flag pole.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2012, 10:13 am

Face east and mutter "Allahu Akbah ... Allahu Akbah ... Allahu Akbah ... Allahu Akbah ... Allahu Akbah ..." until the teacher tells me to shut up.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 12:49 am

Skilpadde wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

That sounds so much cooler than the original!

I've never been a follower so I stand by my original reply. I should add that I'm not American, so I don't have to think "what if I wasn't used to this?". I'm not used to it, we have never done anything like that. We have no pledge of allegiance and we never assembled by the flag pole.

Well, the way it was done was that there was a little flag hanging in each classroom-were the blackboard is. We would all stand up, and put our hands on our hearts, and say the pledge. Then sit down and start the day. You didnt have to go outside and gather around a big flag pole.

But glad that you like my version. I actually remember asking my mom what "invisible" had to do with anything (after saying it that way 100's of times in class). She had to explain that it was "in-DI-visable".

But i remember seeing a flim clip school kids in Ethiopia, outdoors in front of thier thatched hut school house, reciting their pledge of allegiance (they were gathered around a flagpole). So it not just an american thing. Though I dont think that do it so much anymore. That maverick teacher I had was ahead of his time is dispensing with the practice.