Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Dec 2010, 11:10 pm

I struggled with sever depression for years & when I wasn't depressed; I was usually angry, frustrated or anxious. I've been in a good mood lately thou & I'm hoping that I'm over it(knock on wood). After my mood improved some people have been telling me things like I'm not acting my age, I need to grow up, I need to get a real life because I am living in a fantasy world, I'm acting like a kid, I'm too immature ect ect. They're right because I am very immature & some of my interest are more immature now than when I was depressed. I think being immature makes me happier. I know some people may not understand it but when I was depressed they weren't OK with it either because they kept telling me that I needed to cheer up & start enjoying life but now that I'm finally feeling happy & good for a while they have a problem with it to. So what if they don't understand it or have a problem with it? That's their problem.

I'm posting this in the Random section because I'm not looking for advice or anything like that. If you immature or have some immature interest that makes you happy; Post about it.
I'll start it off by saying that I really like bubblegum pop music & playing the old-skewl Pokemon game-boy games

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHybxGEcbZY[/youtube]

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kruger4
Toucan
Toucan

19 Dec 2010, 10:40 am

Immaturity will definitely hurt you in the long run, sure it's harder being mature but the benefits that come with it definitely make you a more happy person. If you want to stay immature that's fine but if people tell you that you need to grow up etc... then it's obvious that you need to change something about yourself. When people tell you these things they're not saying them to hurt you, they actually want to help you get on the right path and I don't think you're fully aware of that.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 10:53 am

That video ends with a graduation ceremony ... thereby at least implying a time to move along into maturity.

I still occasionally allow myself (or even insist) to "just be myself" at whatever level of maturity, but I do that while nevertheless trying to also keep reality in perspective. I will likely go to my grave still being a "little boy in an old man's body", but much pain in life has now knocked away my old "ignorance is bliss" kind of thinking.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 7:29 pm

kruger4 wrote:
Immaturity will definitely hurt you in the long run, sure it's harder being mature but the benefits that come with it definitely make you a more happy person. If you want to stay immature that's fine but if people tell you that you need to grow up etc... then it's obvious that you need to change something about yourself. When people tell you these things they're not saying them to hurt you, they actually want to help you get on the right path and I don't think you're fully aware of that.

I understand what your saying but I think that might be fairly common with Aspergers. I think the issue is that I'm NOT like most people & I can NOT conform to them & being different from others like being immature causes problems. I think part of the rezone I was so depressed & stuff was because I kept trying to change myself into being something others wanted me to be instead of being happy with myself the way I was. People didn't like me then either because they kept telling me to cheer-up & stuff. Being my immature self makes me happy right now

Dalton_Man321
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2010, 8:19 pm

Put it this way:

Pee Wee Herman's immature and has a childish personality right? If he was like that all the time in real life he wouldn't be able to afford his playhouse, keep it tidy, buy anthropomorphic food, pay his Picturephone bill, pay Jambi his salary for wish-granting services (it's not cheap you know), and things like that. He would be evicted and possibly become bankrupt.

There's a time and place for that.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 8:50 pm

Dalton_Man321 wrote:
There's a time and place for that.

Your absolutely right about that. There's a difference between being immature & being irrepressible thou. People think I'm immature simply because of my interest thou & I'm not being irrepressible about it & it's not costing me anything. I don't see what difference it makes to my family & others what types of TV, movies, music, video-games, comedy ect I enjoy

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 9:18 pm

I can be a troll sometimes, I still laugh at prank calls .. It's like finding apart of my childhood in immaturity, but theirs a time and place for everything. Most of the time in real life I'm a overly serious person with no personality .. so online I compensate and it's fun to connect with people and act silly.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 9:31 pm

Raymond_Fawkes wrote:
Most of the time in real life I'm a overly serious person with no personality .. so online I compensate and it's fun to connect with people and act silly.

Same here for me. I never goofed off or wasted time when I was working but I can be kinda goofy at times with the rite people

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2010, 3:54 pm

Been trolling before there was the word trolling. Been trolling since I got out of the womb.

Jessi_in_wonderland
Toucan
Toucan

31 Dec 2010, 8:52 am

I'm glad that you're feeling happy and don't listen to them. They think immaturity is not good because they are unfamiliar with it and don't possess it. It can be a comfortable thing to have. I was surprised that they used the phrase "fantasy world" because people have used that exact phrase when talking to me, too. Stay in your fantasy world! Don't feed in to their negativity!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2010, 3:03 pm

Jessi_in_wonderland wrote:
I'm glad that you're feeling happy and don't listen to them. They think immaturity is not good because they are unfamiliar with it and don't possess it. It can be a comfortable thing to have. I was surprised that they used the phrase "fantasy world" because people have used that exact phrase when talking to me, too. Stay in your fantasy world! Don't feed in to their negativity!

I've been living in a fantasy world most all my life. If the real world was more accepting; I wouldn't want/need to escape as much. Some people are probably telling me that stuff because they are trying to help me because they think that I'll be better off in life if I am aware of my problems & can learn to change/adapt but they are making things worse because they are buying into & feeding that negative stereotype.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwJazZIWNgg[/youtube]

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2011, 7:39 pm

It sounds like you're equating maturity with being depressed, and that's not true at all.

There are other possibilities besides "depressed" and "immature".

countfred
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2011, 7:46 pm

I just got a book from my friend called The Quarterlife Crisis
You are about my age
and thats where I am
Its what everyone goes through when leaving the nest
but as an aspie it feels worse
I see everyone moving on and I am stuck
I also equate this to disillusionment
I find every new piece of info chips my pre adult illusion of people and the world and its harder to enjoy stuff
But when I embrace my aspieness and dont try supressing it I feel better
but I am told at the same time I am acting strange and immature

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2011, 7:58 pm

Immature people seem to be happier and they don't seem to argue as much.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2011, 8:23 pm

countfred wrote:
I just got a book from my friend called The Quarterlife Crisis
You are about my age
and thats where I am
Its what everyone goes through when leaving the nest
but as an aspie it feels worse
I see everyone moving on and I am stuck
I also equate this to disillusionment
I find every new piece of info chips my pre adult illusion of people and the world and its harder to enjoy stuff
But when I embrace my aspieness and dont try supressing it I feel better
but I am told at the same time I am acting strange and immature

That makes sense. I never heard of that book before but it sounds interesting

CockneyRebel wrote:
Immature people seem to be happier and they don't seem to argue as much.

I've known some little kids who argue a lot & I argue a lot as well

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2011, 9:52 pm

"Grow up"

translates to

"Give up on your personality, principles, and dreams and become the amoral rat-race conformist society expects you to be!"

at least, judging by the context I've always seen it used in, that's what it means.