Page 1 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 1:54 pm

What current trends or fads in today's society would you like to go away?

Personally, I'd like to following to go away:

Tea Party

Skinny jeans

Popularity of hipster culture

Justin Bieber's fan base

Words made from other words

Fan base of Miley Cyrus

People trying to bring back values/fashion of the 1980s

Most reality TV shows

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 2:36 pm

Most of the above will go away. Be patient. The first to go away will be Justin Bieber's fan base. They will get tired of him in probably a year or two.

One thing on your list will never go away. Words made from other words. That's just how language evolves. But the rest? It wuill be gone and some of it very soon. :sunny:

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2010, 4:07 pm

Tea Party is on the rise. I'd say it's peak will be the next election. Then it'll dwindle down afterward. If a Neo Con right wing extremist does win, expect a ton of backlash from the media and from the general populace.

Skinny jeans will last 3-5 more years at the most.

Modern (or postmodern lol) Hipster culture is at its peak right now. It'll start evolving once hipsters start hating the state of hipster culture (which many ironically do). Beatniks became hippies so today's Hipsters are sort of at that transitioning phase from beatnik to hippies.

Justin Bieber. They'll find someone new to replace him in about a year or less. Though, he's only like thirteen, maybe he grows up and becomes great lol?

Words made from other words. See Hipster culture.

Fans of Miley Cyrus. Almost faded away. Some teenage girls (and guys) still like her. But it won't last too long anymore. She'll still be popular with a certain crowd but never will she be at her height.

1980's. Yeah, this just sucks. But I don't see it becoming as popular within this state of Hipster culture, which relies on 50's and 60's props such as plaid, fedoras, pea coats, etc rather than the plastic superficiality of the 80's. This fad is more popular with Hip-hop cultures who also mix with Hipsters. So, I say it'll change once the next popular hip-hop sub genre came along (2000's started with the "end" of gangsta rap, then went to crunk, a little bit of hyphy, and now a more hipster/rockish/softer hip-hop).

Reality TV shows. Never will go away unfortunately. And now with the diversifying of media, expect more reality shows because people will demand them. Money made from the masses outweigh quality television with low ratings.

Last edited by Synecdoche on 29 Sep 2010, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 4:08 pm

Oh, a thread being the opposite of mine :D

I agree about Miley and Justin. I would add also Lady Gaga and Twilight (though I would love Harry Potter to come back, a couple of years back it didn't seem possible the teenage wizard would EVER pall on people).

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 5:12 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Tea Party

Justin Bieber's fan base

Words made from other words

Fan base of Miley Cyrus

Most reality TV shows

I agree on all those things - plus, I'd like to see guys stop wearing their pants sagging off their asses.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 5:25 pm

Fads don't bother me. They are followed by large numbers of people who I don't care about and who don't influence my life, so why should I get my knickers in a twist over them?

If there was a fad that involved punching me in the nose, I imagine that I would soon tire of it and wish for its end.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

BigJohnnyCool
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2010, 7:30 pm

Phineas and Ferb
iCarly
Fred
Annoying Orage

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 7:57 pm

American Idol
Justin Beiber

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 9:57 pm

Personally, I want Crocs to go out of style. I just think they look so stupid and ugly.

Talis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2010, 10:19 pm

Fads that need to die...

I wish Nintendo would shove a Wii remote up it's ass and get over motion gaming. There's really no challenge in motion games >_< Of course Sony and Microsoft are running right behind them with their own motion gimmic crap.

I wish 3D movies would go away too. I tire of seeing something so old waved in my face. 3D movies are ancient technology and now it's all over the damn place like it's something new. Additionally, those damn glasses give me migraines and crossed eyes.

Music that isn't music. I'm only 23... I shouldn't have to say "Well in my day music meant something."

I don't know what else I'd like to go away but I'm sure there's a long list.

And who the heck is Justin Beiber? Is that that kid with the r-tarded bowl cut? If it is... that kid needs to die too :evil:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Sep 2010, 11:35 pm

Teenagers having babies is a trend I want to go away. Lots of teens think having a baby is cool. They think of a baby as a fashion accessory like carrying a poodle in a purse.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ReverendRedMage
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Sep 2010, 12:07 am

Definitely Justin Bieber. He recently compared himself to Kurt Cobain. Now I want to kick his head in.

Another fad that needs to die; "I approve this message" in political ads. It's especially stupid when the person that the ad is promoting, who actually narrates a portion of the ad, actually says that he/she approves the message. Well freakin' duh!! That's like someone forcing me to compliment myself and then saying that I approve what I just said.

Crazy bands. We need to put these all in a pile and burn them. They're a waste of space and money; aren't rubber bands supposed to hold things together? And when they do, aren't they stretched out? Does anyone actually care what shape they're in?

And finally, FarmVille (and all its offspring). I need not say more.

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 3:35 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
Fads don't bother me. They are followed by large numbers of people who I don't care about and who don't influence my life, so why should I get my knickers in a twist over them?

Agreed. My knickers could never get twisted over other people's interests, entirely up to them!

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 4:03 am

People saying "of a" when they mean "a."

The logical fallacy "you don't like (group A), (group A) are brown people, therefore you do not like people because they are brown" (the majority of people on Earth are brown; assume a random distribution of dislikable people and of course they'll mostly be brown) :roll: that I keep seeing all over the place where people are making a misguided (and itself subtly racist, in that it presupposes "brown people" is a meaningful concept) attempt to be PC.

Gratuitous vocoding.

Pop-culture worship of the 1960s as a mythical Golden Age, especially when people celebrate good music from that time without remembering the dross.

Cloud computing.

Bolivia's Got Strictly Celebrity Antique Get Me Out Of The Ice Dancing Challenge Chef Talent Factor LXIX.

Twitter.

Thank you for running the installer for (Useful Product A) which now automatically installs (Useless Product B)!

DLC as often practised - DLC is a good thing, but the way some of it is done is blatantly grasping - saw a game release the other day for which there was DLC available the day it released. 8O

"This is our new product, the i(Product Name.)"

"We bring you the news of the latest scandal, (Scandal Name)Gate."

"Are you involved in the most tangential way with this news story? Do you know someone you think might be involved in the most tangential way with this news story? Text in now and tell us what you think so we can regurgitate your vapid thoughts to our viewers!"

The year is still young.

JimTr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Sep 2010, 6:00 am

Justin Bieber and just about anyone who records with him.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 6:20 am

At least Kurt Cobain was cool. 8)