Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2013, 10:17 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
I would love to live in a cave! Converted into a house with all the modern appliances and such, but with the natural cave walls. That'd be super-cool! Now I wouldn't do it for isolation or anything, just for the coolness factor of it! Could go on cave strolls in the evening, make echos when I'm bored, go fishing for those blind cave fish...the possibilities are endless!!

That actually does sound kind of cool.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 12:05 am

I wanted to do an experiment. I read somewhere about sleeping with an impending sense of danger. I got the idea that maybe we sleep more lightly so we can get up and run in the case of danger.

I decided to see if my sleep experience or dreams were noticably different while sleeping in the ravine. I wasn't expecting to disturb a whole bunch of birds before I could even get to the spot I scouted out in the daytime. I couldn't sneak out of the house until my parents were asleep at around 11:30 pm. Maybe if I could've gotten settled by 6:00 pm and stayed in the spot the birds wouldn't have settled down for the night where I was since there was already a human there.

Anyway, I chickened out when I heard the birds going mad. I really thought they were going to hurt me to defend their nests. I couldn't even see how many there were. The amount of noise they made made it seem like there was a lot of them.

I was prepared to deal with the cold and sleep on the hard ground but I hadn't braced myself for animal encounters. I chose the spot because I knew people had slept there before. The particular clearing in the middle of the brush that I chose already had abandoned hobo shelters. People had stayed there before.

Recently I've been thinking about running away so my family doesn't have to deal with the things I'm going to be doing to myself. I was going to live in the forest as long as I could that way there'd be no way of my parents finding me. If I took out money there'd be a record of it. If I went anywhere near a store I could wind up on camera. If I crossed the border with my passport it'd give me away. I was going to go to British Columbia and use the rocky mountain range in the continental interior to try and sneak across the border that way my parents and the police assume I'm still in Canada. I'd end up living in a similar way as someone living in a cave. I'd probably be dead within the year.

I wouldn't know what to eat. I figure that if I was willing to sink low enough I could dig for and eat worms. It's meat isn't it? It's food. I'd be willing to resort to that if I had to. I'd be willing to do a lot of things depending on the situation I'm in.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 2:57 am

Dillogic wrote:
Not many natural caves out there. You'd have to make one, which would be far more effort than making a simple log cabin (which are quite livable).

Tennessee has around 10,000 natural caves, stretching several hundred miles in total. Now if I could just secure one of those for myself....bwahaha! I think that the state/federal governments are running most of them as tourist attractions, but I could be wrong. And yeah even with a natural cave, it'd probably be fairly difficult to convert it to a livable space (aka, a comfortable/modern living space).

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 12:30 pm

Now that you mentioned the Tennessee caves I realized that there are no real caves in Scandinavia. Funny.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 1:09 pm

I think it would be nice if I could have a modern house in a cave, with the entrance door to the house within the cave, with all the essentials included such as the fridge, mobile, Internet etc. Ideally in a quiet location close to a big shopping center and a train station.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 5:56 pm

I'd much rather live in a (properly-constructed) bunker with blast doors built to withstand blast overpressure of at least 1000 psi.

Arkio
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 6:04 pm

No, I just want to live in a house alone with maybe a farm.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 9:19 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
Tennessee has around 10,000 natural caves, ... .

Probably not many on private land though. And properties that have a cave are probably far too expensive to purchase for most people.

You could make a "bunker" underground though, which is a cave in a way (same effect). Lots of work compared to a simple cabin though.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 9:41 pm

You would have to find a"dry" cave,many drip lots of water in the rainy season.They are damp and chilly.Stuff would mold and rot.There are some dry shelters but they usually have openings that are pretty big,you'd still need a wind block and you would want to be south facing.There are some luxury cave houses here,The Beckham Creek Cave House,that was featured on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.It even leaks,I know,I've been in it.
And other things live in caves,bats,salamanders and maybe even a bear.And when it gets hot,snakes like to cool off in them.
A dry bluff shelter facing south,with a spring near would be a good choice.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 10:41 am

Moppy wrote:
Any of you ever thought of living in the woods, or a cave, or digging yourself a bunker and becoming a proper hermit?

That would be an acceptable option. I'd be quite happy living in a proper cave, fix it up and all that. Temperature wouldn't fluctuate too much it should stay nice and cool, which would be a bonus.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Feb 2013, 12:45 pm

I've never considered it as if "in the wilderness" without conveniences, but I am very happily blessed to live on a farm now, and cannot see or hear my nearest neighbor. The house sits in the middle of 20 acres, and is on a hill, so I can see anyone approaching ahead of time. I grew up in a densely-populated part of Los Angeles, and the thought of ever having lived in a place like that is unthinkable anymore.

If I did take it a step further and disconnect from society, I don't think I'd be happy. I like all the modern conveniences, heating & air conditioning, refrigeration and indoor cooking, good plumbing, and etc.

Charles

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 10:29 am

^ I live in the 'dense'. I wish I had twenty acres, you're lucky.

GralienTourist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2013, 12:11 am

I would love to live in a cave. I would need some things, like running water, ventilation, and a working door I guess. And lights, but still a cave would be super cool. :P

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 10:16 pm

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 10:20 pm

This is a couple miles from my home,it started being owned by the owner of Celestial Seasonings tea.You can live in a cave with all the luxuries.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 12:51 am

Literally, or figuratively :wink: