Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2013, 1:47 pm

Anyone here live in Seattle I am seriously considering moving there from Iowa in about a year or two. Any advice personal experiences with the city good and bad. How's the weather? Where is a good neighborhood to live, I am a straight edge sort of person and wonder how to meet others like that. I have heard there is a big straight edge micro culture there. how easy is it for people like ourselves to find jobs and friends and so forth in the city

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 9:19 pm

I live in Seattle; Wallingford to be exact. Its on district (15 min by foot) away from the University District of Seattle. Wallingford is pretty affluent, as is Ravenna ...and of course Bellvue. There are a lot of subcultures and different ethnic cultures in this city -it makes for a very interesting conglomerate culture setting. What kind of work do you do for a living?

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2013, 9:22 pm

Well Im a senior at the university of iowa and I am looking to go to graduate school for library science at the university of Washington its my top pick. Even if I don't get in I would like to move to Seattle anyway because I hear it has good public transport and a straight edge scene. I guess i should mention i might be on a bit of budget, so i would like to live somewhere in an apartment/studio in a good but affordable area near the university. if you don't know what straight edge is refer to Wikipedia its a bit in depth too much for what i want to type on a post. My main concern really is the weather I hear its very dreary there for a good portion of the year. and what is the crime like?
I have lived in a relatively small sheltered town with not much experience with dealing with crime or living in a big city such as Seattle. its smaller than the capital city des moines.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 1:26 am

of course there is a severe shortage of affordable [to average wage-earners] housing in all of king county, and forget about affordable [unless you are a 6-figure man] anywhere in seattle. that is why I5 is so jammed most of the time, with commuters who work in the city but can't afford to live there. and parking is very dear. the tow trucks are always busy. even if you can afford real estate or rent in seattle, the cost of living [food, taxes et al] is notably steeper than nearby tacoma. i comparison-shopped and noticed that groceries on average were about 30-50% more expensive in seattle than tacoma. the seattle traffic is maddening, also.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 1:33 am

The last thing I think of when I hear WA is straight edge. especially Seattle. Seattle is somewhat known for the large amount of hippies, ravers, stoners, and everything in between living there . There is a HXC "hardcore music" scene though, that is straight edge or they are for the most part.

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2013, 1:17 pm

Pondering wrote:
The last thing I think of when I hear WA is straight edge. especially Seattle. Seattle is somewhat known for the large amount of hippies, ravers, stoners, and everything in between living there . There is a HXC "hardcore music" scene though, that is straight edge or they are for the most part.

I have someone of a friend who is a punk/straight edge aficionado who says theres a big straight edge scene there. How big is the punk scene in seattle?

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2013, 1:21 pm

auntblabby wrote:
of course there is a severe shortage of affordable [to average wage-earners] housing in all of king county, and forget about affordable [unless you are a 6-figure man] anywhere in seattle. that is why I5 is so jammed most of the time, with commuters who work in the city but can't afford to live there. and parking is very dear. the tow trucks are always busy. even if you can afford real estate or rent in seattle, the cost of living [food, taxes et al] is notably steeper than nearby tacoma. i comparison-shopped and noticed that groceries on average were about 30-50% more expensive in Seattle than Tacoma. the Seattle traffic is maddening, also.

Well recently I found a site called city data forum and one thing everyone says is not to come to Seattle without a job or something to do. How much Seattle costs exactly is widely debated although everyone says it is more expensive and it is tough to find a job unless one is a tech man. It was kind of depressing to see my long laid dreams become less and less practical in light of reality.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 8:25 pm

Some of the bands in Seattle are pretty good. To wit:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fnezdn6Diw[/youtube]
I think they have an excellent guitarist!

Anyway, I guess Seattle is what you make it. Yes, you need a little money here to enjoy yourself as the plethora of restaurants can set you back a bit. Some attractions (SAM, Space Needle) are a little dear but SAM does have a freebie Thursday. Lots of nightclubs, too. Folk, country, punk, indie. Around the corner from me is Q Café. Like others, they don't serve alcohol and have poetry readings and live bands. The tony neighbourhoods include Wallingford, Ballard, Columbia City, University District, Capitol Hill, Belltown, Greenlake and the Ventral District. Capitol Hill, Belltown and the Central District have crime issues but they're working on it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 8:57 pm

the average schoolteacher can barely afford to live in seattle, whereas in tacoma they can live quite comfortably on their middle-class salary.

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2013, 8:58 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the average schoolteacher can barely afford to live in seattle, whereas in tacoma they can live quite comfortably on their middle-class salary.

[quote="redrobin62"] Anyway, I guess Seattle is what you make it. Yes, you need a little money here to enjoy yourself as the plethora of restaurants can set you back a bit.

Could you or anyone who reads this for that matter define a 'a little money" Here in iowa I pay about maybe 300 for groceries a month and 455 for rent(a room in a house with other roommates) that includes all utlitlies heat/water/gas stove&heat/internet. it would be 15 bucks cheaper but my other roommates are water hogs. I usually walk everywhere so I don't really use my car. only for trips and big groceries purchases. So I can live on a monthly budget of about 1000 bucks a month Rent+Food+ Miscellaneous. Im not really expecting to live right downtown. I will live off the island if the public transit will take me back and forth. but living downtown would be nice for the sake of spontaneity. I know the minute i ask this same question on the city data forum(which i intend to do anyway) im going to 100's impassioned opinions. I am seriously considered selling my car before I leave to have a 4 figure bulk of cash on reserve. i would just get to Seattle driving a moving truck. Also what are the typical weather patterns in seattle. i have heard there is lots of rain and downcast days. I really need the light of the sun. Here in iowa its sunny most of the day, even in winter the sun is really bright and visible before night fall.
To auntblabby I suppose 1000 a month wouldn't be enough to live in the seattle area? where near seattle could I live a thousand a month?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 9:22 pm

Mitrovah wrote:
Could you or anyone who reads this for that matter define a 'a little money" Here in iowa I pay about maybe 300 for groceries a month and 455 for rent(a room in a house with other roommates) that includes all utlitlies heat/water/gas stove&heat/internet. it would be 15 bucks cheaper but my other roommates are water hogs. I usually walk everywhere so I don't really use my car. only for trips and big groceries purchases. So I can live on a monthly budget of about 1000 bucks a month Rent+Food+ Miscellaneous. Im not really expecting to live right downtown. I will live off the island if the public transit will take me back and forth. but living downtown would be nice for the sake of spontaneity. I know the minute i ask this same question on the city data forum(which i intend to do anyway) im going to 100's impassioned opinions. I am seriously considered selling my car before I leave to have a 4 figure bulk of cash on reserve. i would just get to Seattle driving a moving truck. Also what are the typical weather patterns in seattle. i have heard there is lots of rain and downcast days. I really need the light of the sun. Here in iowa its sunny most of the day, even in winter the sun is really bright and visible before night fall. To auntblabby I suppose 1000 a month wouldn't be enough to live in the seattle area? where near seattle could I live a thousand a month?

seattle has the benefit of the urban island [weather] effect, so it averages a bit less rain than surrounding burgs, at between 35-40" annually, it is sunnier more often [at least part of the day] than tacoma, for example. aside from the weather- as of december 2012, average rent for an apartment within 10 miles of seattle proper is $1517. add utilities, food, insurance, first and last month's rent and things start adding up. west seattle, maple leaf and downtown neighborhoods are the least expensive. the average landlord would not consider a tenant who did not net an income of at least $50k per annum. so even many teachers and nurses must live outside of seattle and commute. seattle has been mostly gentrified. unless one has a renumerative university degree [IOW a profession such as doctor/lawyer/engineer/microsofty et al] one simply can't afford to live in seattle or even king county as a whole. seattle is jammed with people and cars as it is. all things considered, i would reconsider the move to seattle, and try a pierce county city [such as tacoma] or a thurston county city such as olympia [very livable, btw] instead.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 1:14 am

Luckily, Mitrovah, Seattle has apartment buildings set aside for low income on Capitol Hill and Belltown. The link to the renters is attached for your convenience.
Capitol Hill Housing

Chinatown also has a few buildings that are low income. They charge about $450/$500 month rent. My apartment costs $850/month but I don't live in Chinatown.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 1:21 am

Go for it! :D

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2013, 8:16 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Luckily, Mitrovah, Seattle has apartment buildings set aside for low income on Capitol Hill and Belltown. The link to the renters is attached for your convenience.
Capitol Hill Housing

Chinatown also has a few buildings that are low income. They charge about $450/$500 month rent. My apartment costs $850/month but I don't live in Chinatown.

are those low rent areas dangerous? not to stereotype but that is what I think of low cost housing....

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 9:56 pm

You can actually rent a room pretty cheaply in the University District, which if you've been living with room mates might not be too bad of an option for you. Our public transportation is excellent, the crime, even in the lower income areas is pretty low (the whole city averages around 20 murders a year), and there are a lot of different scenes around town. The weather might be a dealbreaker for you, as though we don't actually get all that much rain in terms of total water volume, what we do get is spread out over most of the year, with a goodly portion of the year consisting of solid grey skies. I'll be honest, that can really get to you after a while, especially if you're sensitive to weird light conditions. Also, there's this thing called the Seattle Freeze, which makes it notably hard to make friends in this town if you weren't born here. It's not like people will shun you on the street or anything, it's more like everyone is a total flake who will enthusiastically swap contact info and claim to want to do things, and then never contact you or return you calls ever. Basically, if you want a social life here, you're going to have to do most of the heavy lifting yourself. If you're a library science major, which I'm going out on a limb here and assuming means you enjoy reading and indoor pastimes, then the cruddy weather and cold shoulders might not be too much of an issue for you, but you should be aware of them before making the jump to moving here. On a personal note, I happen to run a largish (450+ members) Autism meetup group in the area, the Square Pegs, which if you do end up out here might be helpful for meeting other Aspies in the area.

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 11:34 pm

Dox47 wrote:
You can actually rent a room pretty cheaply in the University District, which if you've been living with room mates might not be too bad of an option for you. Our public transportation is excellent, the crime, even in the lower income areas is pretty low (the whole city averages around 20 murders a year), and there are a lot of different scenes around town. The weather might be a dealbreaker for you, as though we don't actually get all that much rain in terms of total water volume, what we do get is spread out over most of the year, with a goodly portion of the year consisting of solid grey skies. I'll be honest, that can really get to you after a while, especially if you're sensitive to weird light conditions. Also, there's this thing called the Seattle Freeze, which makes it notably hard to make friends in this town if you weren't born here. It's not like people will shun you on the street or anything, it's more like everyone is a total flake who will enthusiastically swap contact info and claim to want to do things, and then never contact you or return you calls ever. Basically, if you want a social life here, you're going to have to do most of the heavy lifting yourself. If you're a library science major, which I'm going out on a limb here and assuming means you enjoy reading and indoor pastimes, then the cruddy weather and cold shoulders might not be too much of an issue for you, but you should be aware of them before making the jump to moving here. On a personal note, I happen to run a largish (450+ members) Autism meetup group in the area, the Square Pegs, which if you do end up out here might be helpful for meeting other Aspies in the area.

So I havnt been imagining it after all. Seattle Freeze, so there is an actual term for it. I felt like people here have been distant and withholding in general. I've made friends, but I had to do most of the pursuing until we got to be closer. Also, yes, I live right next to the University District and I can agree and say that you can find a room in a house or share an apartment for $400 (lowest possible) to $600 a month. There are more than a few places for $500 ish, I pay $500 a month for a room in a house. I actually have one room (maybe two) opening up around May. maybe you can live here haha