Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:12 am

Why would someone give conflicting information on their profile and posts?

Like, for example, let us say that someone claims their birth year is 1979 in their profile.

Then in their posts they say they are 37 years old and diagnosed 7 years ago. Then in another post they say they were diagnosed 5 years ago.

Apart from these discrepancies, they come over as the nicest person ever. I don't know what to think of this, what would you think?

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:20 am

It is possible, very possible, if you read many people's posts here, to spend years of counseling and testing before a diagnosis of Autism or Asperger's is finally made.

Try reading some posts in The Haven...so many, many WP members were mis-diagnosed for years!

The individual you refer to could have begun seeing shrinks, and begun testing, which could have gone on for two years.

Sylkat

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 9:55 am

ok, but how do you miscalculate your own age?

2013 - 1979 = 37 ??

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Dec 2013, 1:47 pm

It's possible they were just estimating or quickly guessing when they listed years of things or they got the years confused. I do that sometimes & I'm dyslexic. I may say something was 5 years ago when it may be closer to 7 or vice-versa. I may say I was 21 when I had a breakdown but iI was really 20 but almost 21. I don't have an explanation for people getting their ages confused except maybe it could be a typo.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 4:53 pm

nick007 wrote:
It's possible they were just estimating or quickly guessing when they listed years of things or they got the years confused. I do that sometimes & I'm dyslexic. I may say something was 5 years ago when it may be closer to 7 or vice-versa. I may say I was 21 when I had a breakdown but iI was really 20 but almost 21. I don't have an explanation for people getting their ages confused except maybe it could be a typo.

I'm 53 and often forget exactly when things happened, so if I say something happened ten years ago it could be anywhere between 7 and 14 years ago! I remember events quite well but when they happened gets quite fuzzy sometimes.

The older I get and the more my diabetes messes with my brain the worse my memory is becoming. I sometimes notice my name on the WP forum index page as being the most recent poster in one of the forums but I've no idea what I've posted there! I have to click the link to remind me what the post was about! :lol:

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2013, 5:56 pm

Maybe they don't feel comfortable giving personal (it's not that personal, but personal enough I think) information on the internet, so they just make up numbers?

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 6:53 pm

UndeadToaster wrote:
Maybe they don't feel comfortable giving personal (it's not that personal, but personal enough I think) information on the internet, so they just make up numbers?

but why give it out at all then? it makes no sense. Maybe they are not aware that their age is displayed on their profile, but then why claim to be older by 3 years than they are in a post where they are listing things about themselves like their actual name and where they live etc. I just find it very odd.

And they are born in '79 so are 34 years old (or 37 if you go by their post) and have only just joined the forum so can't really blame the old age and dementia!

Ah well, maybe it's just 'one of those things' as they say.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 7:03 pm

Old fashioned lying method to confuse stalkers and hackers.

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 2:22 am

leafplant wrote:

Like, for example, let us say that someone claims their birth year is 1979 in their profile.

Then in their posts they say they are 37 years old and diagnosed 7 years ago. Then in another post they say they were diagnosed 5 years ago.

Apart from these discrepancies, they come over as the nicest person ever. I don't know what to think of this, what would you think?

Hi I think you might be talking about me lol.
I never enter my real birthdate on sites im irrationally paranoid bout info jackers. my age is 37 I generalise when my diagnosis was made because I cant really remember it was sometime in the last 8 years or so but I had been considered aspi like before that aswell. thanks for thinking im the nicest person ever. thanks for your posts :)

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 2:24 am

Uprising wrote:
Old fashioned lying method to confuse stalkers and hackers.

well I am an old fashioned guy :)

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 3:14 am

salamandaqwerty wrote:
leafplant wrote:

Hi I think you might be talking about me lol.
I never enter my real birthdate on sites im irrationally paranoid bout info jackers. my age is 37 I generalise when my diagnosis was made because I cant really remember it was sometime in the last 8 years or so but I had been considered aspi like before that aswell. thanks for thinking im the nicest person ever. thanks for your posts :)

That was unbelievably quick mate! lol

Thank you for coming out and for offering an explanation. And for making me paranoid about entering my information in the websites 8O

So, to the friendly hackers out there - may I take this moment to thank you for all the surprise money that shall be shortly coming my way? [/joke]

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 4:10 am

I have been on the computer pretty much the whole day. Trying to get some down time listening to music. posting on this site which is a bit of a lifeline for me as things have been rough lately.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 5:48 pm

I was dxd like a couple years ago. But Ive already lost track of exactly which year it was.

About age I dont know. If the person were sensitive about their age they could just leave it blank in their profile. But who knows?