Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 9:24 pm

I find there is something amazing about the state of Florida. I'm not even talking about all the beaches and amusement parks, but simply the geography of the state. I find it interesting how the penisula of this state sticks about 300 miles out into the ocean and is almost completely surrounded by vast distances of ocean. When ever I drive in the state knowing this almost gives me goose bumps kind of like the same feeling you get when your on an island. Do you feel this way too whenever you go to florida? particuarly the southern mid and southern part of the state?

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2013, 9:31 am

In the words of Homer Simpson "Florida is America's dong!"

I was into maps since I was a child, and made that same anatomical analogy myself early on- but never had the nerve to say it out loud.

I do get that feeling you're talking about when I am on a small island (like Nantucket, Okracoke, and Florida's own Key Largo). But the Florida mainland is so big that that gets a bit abstract. The Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico is about the same size as Florida and it doesnt feel insular either whe you travel there. But Florida is quite a place. The flora and fauna are curious.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 8:40 am

Sometimes I get the urge to just abandon my car on the side of the road and take off into the bush when I'm driving through central Florida--especially that bit between the interstate and the Turnpike. Yeehaw Junction. :lol:

I love Florida. I feel at home there.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2013, 4:25 pm

You must be talking about the Gulf Coast.

Drove the whole Atlantic Coast down to Lauderdale once. But never went through the northwest part of the state. Though I have a friend who has family on the panhandle (Panama City area) white beach zone.

I know the southern part best-both coasts.

Have a friend with a second home in suburban Lauderdale, and have tooled around the Lauderdale, W. Palm Beach, and the Miami area. And have driven Alligator Alley across the Everglades to Naples on the Gulf Coast.

I never get used to seeing banyan trees. Nothing like them in the temperate zone. Also known as 'stangler figs' I did some research to see if they were native to Florida- or imports. Turns ouit the answer is 'yes' to both. There are native caribean kinds in florida, but tycoons have imported species from India and other tropical places as well.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 9:59 am

I lived in Orlando for most of a year in 1986. When I drove to Ft. Lauderdale in 2003 I went from I-10 to I-75, then had to cut over and get on the turnpike at Yeehaw Junction to get to I-95. It's been nearly 10 years since I've done that. But I do love the Gulf Coast. There is a great campground in St. Joseph Peninsula State Park. If I had access to Flickr at work I could post some pictures.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 10:33 am

I like Florida well enough but, living there, don't know if I would wish to. Not full time. The giant roaches, the epidemic termites, the hurricanes, the constant damp, the blazing sun.

I much prefer cool misty grey weather.

I was impressed with southern Florida though in how green everything was. Such a brilliant emerald green.