Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2017, 5:47 pm

Anyone going out to watch the Persiods tonight?

BBC: Radio 4

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 5:53 pm

Voxish wrote:
Anyone going out to watch the Persiods tonight?

Saw it last night about 3.00 a.m. , saw about 10 before i went to bed. The moon was quite bright so I could only look at one half of the sky.
I'll definitely pop out later for another look.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 6:29 pm

I don't think the Persiods Shower will be coming over Portland, but the Orionids Shower I am looking forward to seeing as much as I am anticipating the Great American Eclipse.

Although Portland will not be in the path of absolute totality, my family and I will still watch the Great American Eclipse as a partial solar eclipse when it will happen on August 21st.

The Orionids Meteor Shower will begin on August 25th and will peak on October 22nd.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 7:52 pm

My window faces east and also a bunch of streetlights, and they said that east wouldn't be the best direction to see them. I can't be bothered to get dressed and go out into the night, so I guess I'm not going to see any. There is too much light pollution around where I live anyway. It's too dangerous to go at night alone to a more forested park area where I might have a better chance to see something.

I did once see a spectacular meteor shower though. The one that is visible in winter. It was December 1980 and there was a concert whose tickets were going to sell out fast (there was no online booking in those days) and hundreds of us literally camped out overnight in this large forest parkland. We were all lying in sleeping bags staring up at the night sky, and every few seconds we saw meteors any place we looked in the sky. It was amazing.