Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Charis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2013, 4:54 pm

I love driving at night, because it's not crowded, and the lights are all sparkly. It's daytime, that the sun gets too much for me.

You are very likely an Aspie

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 5:36 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
I have trouble driving at night in bright, busy places too because of the profusion of lights. Otherwise, I'm not bad at it.

I can even drive a stick-shift, drive on the freeway, in heavy traffic and in bad weather without much anxiety. But I can't parallel park to save my life.

Don't even get me near a stick shift. I'll have the tranny trashed in 2 minutes. I probably also flip the vehicle on its side, like I did with Dad's milk truck, when he was still doing home delivery for one of the local dairies.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 6:01 pm

I can usually do OK. I tend to drive fast and I'm usually pretty good at responding to stuff. What I have problems with are fine maneuvers: I'll usually turn into a parking space not lined up right, have trouble with parallel parking (which I rarely have to do where I live), maneuvering in and out of tight spots, etc.

Overall, I enjoy driving.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 6:13 pm

I have given up driving. I still keep renewing the license, but I don't think I remember how to drive. Having to make quick decisions, having to pay attention to multiple things in a very brief moment etc are just overwhelming for me. I'd die from anxiety if I'm on the road. I can easily sit in the front passenger seat because I wouldn't be blamed for it if an accident happens.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 6:59 pm

I generally like driving but all of my 4 accidents happened in the snow.

Forkliftoperator
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2013, 7:46 pm

I'm a pretty good driver with a clean record- I have to keep it that way since my job depends on it. I drive a company truck when I have to do company related errands. I can drive in all types of weather conditions ...I have no choice since the weather in Alberta gets crazy. It's not very fun driving in a blizzard but I can if I have to. That is one of the reasons why I drive a large 4 x4 SUV and plan on getting a large truck when hubby gets his green card and can work.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 9:15 pm

Anybody ride a motorcycle?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

25 Jul 2013, 9:16 pm

androbot2084 wrote:

I want to.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Oculus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2013, 10:43 pm

On one hand, I am very good at making the car do exactly what I want it to do. I can pick my way through San Francisco's rush-hour traffic quite well.

On the other hand, I get lost easily, and have trouble reading other drivers' intentions and anticipating their behavior.

Fortunately my wife is very good at these things, and acts as Navigator when she is a passenger, telling me which streets are best to use.

She also points out when my failure to read other drivers leads me to suboptimal driving decisions, and what I should have noticed. This helps me learn what to look for, and what to do when I recognize a cue. My reflexes save me from collisions, but it would be better if I anticipated and avoided situations rather than getting myself out of them.

Also, yes, it is very easy to get distracted by what's going on in my own head, and not pay enough attention to the road.

amaris74
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2013, 2:13 am

I don't drive. I have my learner's license and have driven (very occasionally) in the past, but I get anxious just thinking about driving. It really sucks, as I can't be as independent as I'd like to be.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 5:53 am

I LOVE to drive, just really enjoy the experience, and I feel I'm a fairly good, competent and confident driver. Yet I do have some anxiety when other drivers start pulling dangerous stunts -- I guess that's a normal reaction anyway.

And -- I think I'm unhealthily obsessed by being tailgated. I get really, really angry and upset when someone tailgates me in otherwise uncongested traffic; I feel like my territory and personal space is being "dissed" the same way as when someone stands to close to me in an otherwise uncrowded situation.

Harrison54

26 Jul 2013, 6:33 am

I got my motorbike license when I was 16 followed a year later with the car license. When I was 40 I took my heavy goods licenses and then my dangerous goods licenses so I can drive anything that uses the roads. Also hold a pilots license.

Love driving/flying because I feel in total control, almost like a meditation, although I dislike having passengers :) I've never succumbed to road rage since I was a kid but I am a very defensive driver so tend to avoid trouble.

Spent two years as a 'tramper' i.e. living in my truck and working around the country, one of the best times of my life :)

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 2:48 pm

Anyone else here think VW busses are our perfect daily?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Musicgirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 2:59 pm

amaris74 wrote:
I don't drive. I have my learner's license and have driven (very occasionally) in the past, but I get anxious just thinking about driving. It really sucks, as I can't be as independent as I'd like to be.

Same here. I have my learner's liscense, but I panic when I get in the driver's seat and can't learn to drive because my anxiety is so high. I am wanting to work on it though.

syndragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2013, 5:51 pm

Above average.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2013, 6:22 pm

androbot2084 wrote:

I have 5.
All old and British, I ride one to work every day, been riding since 76.
As for driving a car, I only needed 9 lessons to pass first time, during one of the lessons the instructor was particularly impressed when I was waiting to join a line of traffic from a side road, it was such a busy time of day that no large gap presented itself, now I wasn't going to waste my hours lesson sitting at a junction, so as soon as a gap large enough for a car presented itself, I accelerated and turned hard enough that the wheels were spinning and slotted right into that gap without the next car even having to slow down.