I had chicken feet today at a Chinese restaurant...

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,508
Location: Lancashire, UK

03 Aug 2013, 5:08 pm

...what else should I try?

I went here: http://www.tangktv.co.uk/en/

I rather liked them. The Chinese restaurateur was shocked and silenced that I liked them as much as I did. He stopped thinking I was a daft gweilo afterwards.

I'm going to ask for milk tea next.



TallyMan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,833

03 Aug 2013, 5:12 pm

Today I watched my chickens scratching about in the compost heap digging up various grubs with their feet. Can't say chicken feet look very appetising. Can't be much meat on them either?


_________________
I've left WP indefinitely.


Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,508
Location: Lancashire, UK

03 Aug 2013, 5:14 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Today I watched my chickens scratching about in the compost heap digging up various grubs with their feet. Can't say chicken feet look very appetising. Can't be much meat on them either?


They taste like chicken skin and gelatin, with a bit of meat. The feel of them is 'bubbly', I would say. Very soft.

It was only a snack as part of yum cha. :)



TallyMan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,833

03 Aug 2013, 5:18 pm

You are making my stomach feel "bubbly". I like to try different foods but would have a hard time tackling chicken feet. Give me a horse burger or frogs legs any day.


_________________
I've left WP indefinitely.


smudge
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Sep 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,124
Location: London

03 Aug 2013, 5:24 pm

Tequila wrote:
They taste like chicken skin and gelatin, with a bit of meat. The feel of them is 'bubbly', I would say. Very soft.

It was only a snack as part of yum cha. :)


I've still got that white pudding I bought from Morrisons to try out. I wonder where I could buy chicken feet from...I wonder how you cook them. Were they deep fried?



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,508
Location: Lancashire, UK

03 Aug 2013, 5:27 pm

TallyMan wrote:
You are making my stomach feel "bubbly". I like to try different foods but would have a hard time tackling chicken feet.


The white server looked at me with disgust when I told him about them and what they tasted like!

By far the strongest part of it was the chilli. It was 70% chilli, 30% meat flavour.



jk1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,255

03 Aug 2013, 5:37 pm

Chicken feet is one of the things I haven't been able to bring myself to try. Many people around me who have tried told me it's actually pretty good. It's just the image of it that puts me off.

Maybe you could try crocodile meat, escargots, cockroaches, grasshoppers etc if you want to try something different.



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,508
Location: Lancashire, UK

03 Aug 2013, 5:39 pm

jk1 wrote:
Maybe you could try crocodile meat, escargots, cockroaches, grasshoppers etc if you want to try something different.


Anything off the restaurant menu in the OP?

Milk tea is on my list.



jk1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,255

03 Aug 2013, 5:52 pm

Sorry, I didn't look at the menu initially.

I just had a look, but I couldn't find the dessert menu. It must be somewhere. Out of the main menu, I think E41M (squid with Szechuan sauce) would be nice. So many dishes look delicious.



alwaystomorrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jun 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 157
Location: Midgard

03 Aug 2013, 5:57 pm

I've had chicken feet in China, as part of a hotpot type dish ... loved them! Though I found the tiny bones challenging.

Man, just looking at that menu makes me hungry again, and I had home-made jiǎozi and chūnjuǎn for dinner just a few hours ago ...



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,508
Location: Lancashire, UK

03 Aug 2013, 6:12 pm

The food at Tang is very good indeed. It's considered to be the best Chinese restaurant in Preston.



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,508
Location: Lancashire, UK

03 Aug 2013, 6:19 pm

alwaystomorrow wrote:
Man, just looking at that menu makes me hungry again, and I had home-made jiǎozi and chūnjuǎn for dinner just a few hours ago ...


Oh, I had grilled meat guotie and shredded duck spring rolls.



xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 25 Jun 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 337

03 Aug 2013, 7:31 pm

I suspect chicken feet have, at some point in time, formed part of a Tesco beef lasagna.

I think I could eat them ok (assuming a decent restaurant was serving them) although eating something with toenails would be a bit offputting.

Quote:
I've still got that white pudding I bought from Morrisons to try out. I wonder where I could buy chicken feet from...I wonder how you cook them. Were they deep fried?


I suspect some Chinese Supermarkets will sell chicken feet although getting the sauce right is probably essential.

Smudge- are you going to work your way up through the puddings, advancing to those with less identifiable animal components?



collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2006
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 757

04 Aug 2013, 1:44 am

Web Page Name

Kareem : I ain't eatin no damn chicken legs , Bruce :lol:



Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2007
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,061
Location: Prussia

04 Aug 2013, 2:28 am

Tequila wrote:
...what else should I try?

.


How about trying a Japanese restaurant and going for the Wasp cakes?

Image