I had chicken feet today at a Chinese restaurant...

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 8:17 am

I'm guessing that chicken feet would actually taste good, considering that they are part of a chicken.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 8:17 am

TallyMan wrote:
Today I watched my chickens scratching about in the compost heap digging up various grubs with their feet. Can't say chicken feet look very appetising. Can't be much meat on them either?

sweet,never knew were a chicken owner tallyman.
got any photos to share? 8)

tequila,
those feet have been trodding in all sorts,its a weird part to eat but its a delicacy in china isnt it?

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 9:18 am

xmh wrote:
I suspect chicken feet have, at some point in time, formed part of a Tesco beef lasagna.

I think I could eat them ok (assuming a decent restaurant was serving them) although eating something with toenails would be a bit offputting.

Quote:
I've still got that white pudding I bought from Morrisons to try out. I wonder where I could buy chicken feet from...I wonder how you cook them. Were they deep fried?

I suspect some Chinese Supermarkets will sell chicken feet although getting the sauce right is probably essential.

Smudge- are you going to work your way up through the puddings, advancing to those with less identifiable animal components?

Haha, maybe! I thought there was only black and white pudding, though. Are there more varieties?

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2013, 9:57 am

According to Robert Burns the haggis is:

Quote:
Great chieftain o' the puddin'-race!

Most fish and chip shops round here will sell haggis (in both the sausage and traditional shape) along side black and white pudding (and anything else that can be cooked in a deep fryer).

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 10:02 am

There are people who eat chicken feet here in Brazil. I know that my grandmother liked it, but I have never seen her eat it. In fact, I have heard of many people who used to eat chicken feet, but never saw anyone doing that. As stupid as it sounds, I suspect that it was some kind of fade/custom that died in the last few decades (probably around the 70s).

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 10:35 am

smudge wrote:
Haha, maybe! I thought there was only black and white pudding, though. Are there more varieties?

There is also red pudding.

Hog's pudding is similar to white pudding, but is apparently much spicier.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 5:47 pm

I like fried chicken gizzards and livers with hot sauce.We used to get chicken necks and boil for the broth,I never see them in the store now.And hogs head souse is also good also known as head cheese.Pickled pigs feet,yum.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 5:50 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I like fried chicken gizzards and livers with hot sauce.We used to get chicken necks and boil for the broth,I never see them in the store now.And hogs head souse is also good also known as head cheese.Pickled pigs feet,yum.

Ah - head cheese (brawn)! I've had brawn before. Didn't think that much to it. Wasn't disgusted by it or anything, just didn't find it very interesting. I may have to try it again. :)

Chicken liver is lovely, mind you. :)

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 12:42 pm

Tequila wrote:
smudge wrote:

There is also red pudding.

Hog's pudding is similar to white pudding, but is apparently much spicier.

You mean you haven't tried it? What's red pudding like?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 1:47 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
Today I watched my chickens scratching about in the compost heap digging up various grubs with their feet. Can't say chicken feet look very appetising. Can't be much meat on them either?

sweet,never knew were a chicken owner tallyman.
got any photos to share? 8)

tequila,
those feet have been trodding in all sorts,its a weird part to eat but its a delicacy in china isnt it?

Yes, here is a recent photo of the chickens trying to get my attention. They always get a little soaked bread at midday and they are quite the bread addicts.

{link removed}

Last edited by TallyMan on 13 Aug 2013, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 1:50 pm

I like your chikens.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 1:56 pm

babybird wrote:
I like your chikens.

Thank you - but you can put your knife and fork down! :lol:

The one on the left is called Chatty Chook because she's always chucking away to herself or to me, the one on the ground is Little Chicken and the other one on the chair is one of the twins (There are two I can't tell apart).

I could never eat them, let alone their feet! They are like pets now and each has its own personality. They often come to talk to me and chuckle away at my feet. Sometimes I sit outside with them for a while and occasionally they jump onto my knee and watch my mouth while I talk to them; then they fly down and go in search of bugs and seeds. Fascinating to watch. Just wish they didn't put so much effort into hiding their eggs. We are missing around 20 eggs and they've outsmarted me with their latest hiding place.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 2:01 pm

I didn't know anyone who owns chikcens before. :D

alwaystomorrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2013, 3:06 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
its a weird part to eat but its a delicacy in china isnt it?
Not Tequila, hope you don't mind me answering -- it is! In fact, I suspect I only got lucky and got one because I was a guest -- we were an odd number of people at the table ... ;)

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 3:07 pm

If you are feeling really adventurous, you could have that Cold Sliced Jellyfish in Sesame and Chili Oil. 8)

Oh how I wish I lived near that restaurant, all that stuff looks so good! :D

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 3:09 pm

There's no way that I would eat a jelly fish. I wouldn't even eat jelly on its own.