Pros and cons of having rabbits as pets

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AshTrees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2013, 12:56 am

The other day I asked the same things about cats, but I like rabbits too.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 2:10 am

I had a rabbit for 2 years. Her name was Master & Commander. I named her after the movie. Why? She created a poopy nest out of a corner chair and, if I placed my hand near it, she'd peck me away like a bird. Very interesting, and protective of her spot, she was.

She did like to sleep on the bed with me but she pooped and urinated where she slept. Her urine was strong smelling, too.

She used to live little ball droppings all over the apartment. She did have her own litter box which she used intermittently, but since she had full run of the apartment, preferred to leave droppings everywhere.

One of the things she did the most that drove me crazy was biting things. She nibbled through electrical wire. She nibbled on the door molding. She nibbled on a counter over the bed.

She was a nervous little thing, too. Never cared too much for company. For the first time I actually saw her jump at a guest which caused the guest to leap onto a chair to get away. Pretty funny, actually.

She was easy to feed. Just give her all the celery and carrots she can muster and she'll love you forever.

I kept her water bottle dangling off a hook near the refrigerator. Sometimes she sat on my lap while she ate lettuce from my hands. That was cute.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 2:35 am

I have 2 currently but they are in a "tractor coop" out side to help mow the yard.

auf_ehre
Raven
Raven

19 Oct 2013, 9:19 am

If you get tired of putting up with rabbits, you can eat them.

http://www.food.com/recipes/rabbit

I've been to the Philippines and didn't like the taste of dog.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 10:07 am

I now have one,the neighbor couldn't eat this one for some reason.So they gave it to me.It has a small enclosed porch it lives on.It will eat out of my hand and let me pet it.Once you pick it up,it is okay with being stroked.I plan on using the droppings for fertilizer.
My cousin had two in her house,they did poop everywhere and she had to watch for them chewing electric cords.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 2:52 am

My experince with rabbits is they arn't as loving as cats or dogs can be and can be a real handful to keep under control and keep clean outside of the cage.

ExceladonCity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 11:43 am

I live with a couple that owns a rabbit...I want the damn thing to be eaten by a stoat.

StarCity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 12:46 pm

AshTrees wrote:
The other day I asked the same things about cats, but I like rabbits too.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hi AshTrees,

After my cat died 2 years ago I thought about getting another pet, but felt that getting a cat would be disloyal to my feline friend.
I thought about getting a ferret, but I found out that they are VERY destructive.

I don't know what you are looking for in a pet, but what I'd like is one that responds. One that I can cuddle. For that reason a goldfish and a hamster are not suitable.
Joanna Lumley has a pot bellied pig as a pet that lives with her in her appartment, but I'd prefer one that is more of the usual variety.
Maybe in time I'll get another cat as I do like cats the best. Or perhaps a dog of the Border Terrier variety.

It isn't natural for me, but it enables me to "fit in".
It is VERY tiring and draining, but at least we can appear like them even though it is an act. Like being on the stage.
They can't see it is emulation, and so we are accepted.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 2:02 pm

I have one. If you're thinking about getting one it would be best if you have some space outside your home, like a backyard, which should be well fenced. Keeping them in the home is not recommended since as a few other posters have eluded to they mess quite a bit and they bite wires and other stuff a lot. You can let them in your house when supervised. My rabbit is my first ever pet, so I just got one, but getting two at the same time is better, since they enjoy company and bringing in another one later on can be difficult if the first one rejects it. Their food demands aren't a problem. They like veggies and fruits and get them pallets and hay as well. If you can find a space for them to dig and burrow that would be a huge plus. A box of soil is best. They are affectionate but probably don't show it as well as other animals do. Usually the bigger they get the less likely it is for you to hold and play with them. A dwarf rabbit may be a better option if you're looking for something to cuddle.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

AshTrees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2013, 8:24 am

Nambo wrote:

8O Wow!
Is that a fluffy rabbit or a large ball of fluff with a rabbit inside it?

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 4:20 pm

I've never kept a rabbit for a pet, although I'd like to....I've always thought rabbits were adorable. :D The ones I've seen are quite placid and friendly, too (all except for an albino rabbit that hissed at me in a pet store once and scared the hee-haw out of me :lol:). Once when I was 15, my folks and I were driving home from Texas after visiting family, and we decided to take a break from driving and stop at a flea market going on at the offramp. This was a flea market with lots of animals, like baby chicks, ducklings, chinchillas, puppies, kittens, sugar gliders, and ...baby rabbits.

I cautiously approached the guy selling the rabbits, and he saw me and handed me the baby rabbit he was holding...I fell in love almost immediately (and the fact that I'd watched Watership Down in its entirety for the first time a couple months prior and was still awash in feels probably had something to do with it, too) and started petting the little fellow on his head. Then my dad walked over and told me that we should probably get back on the road, and I showed him the bunny I was holding and said, "Oh, hi, dad." He smiled at me good-naturedly and said, "No." :lol: So I gave the bunny back to the guy, but the bunny had its little toenails embedded into my shirt, so I had to unhook each one from the fabric before I could give him back. The bunny guy said, "Aaaww look, he wants to go home with you!" As I quickly unhooked toenails, I heard my father say in a polite yet somewhat exasperated tone, "Yes, thank you, sir."

So, yeah, that's pretty much the extent of my experience with rabbits...although offhand, I'd say that I really don't see how there could be many "cons" to having a rabbit as long as proper care is in place. :D

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 1:39 am

LtlPinkCoupe wrote:
The ones I've seen are quite placid and friendly, too (all except for an albino rabbit that hissed at me in a pet store once and scared the hee-haw out of me :lol:).

...although offhand, I'd say that I really don't see how there could be many "cons" to having a rabbit as long as proper care is in place. :D

Although its a very big "con" indeed!, (and it sounds like you had a narrow escape).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgj3nZWtOfA[/youtube]

bookwyrm
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Oct 2013, 2:05 pm

8) I hadn't seen that clip for ages. Love it.

I have several rabbits that previous owners have begged me to take as everyone in the family had been wounded by them. You have to admire small fluffy creatures that can intimidate humans. The grumpy ones have the best characters IMO.

I have one called Cookie Monster who chases me out of her run every morning biting at my ankles and who pulls my hat off and beats it up while I clean her hutch. It used to be quite scary cleaning her out, but she had misaligned front teeth and the vet removed them and now it only tickles when she gums you. She looks so puzzled when you don't howl when she bites you. But she also growls and lunges and scratches so she can still alarm people, particularly if she sneaks up on you.

Neptune is a giant rabbit who had biten and scratched his whole human family by the time he was eleven weeks old. I don't mess with that rabbit. He is bigger than some dogs. He lives in the courtyard between the kitchen and the living room, where we can see him. We like watching him with his little girly bun, but no one trys to stroke him.

Melody is similiar to Cookie but she has teeth. Last year she bit my hand and I couldn't feel my thumb for six months. She must have severed the nerve :? Its ok now though.

One of my first rabbits, Shadow, was a house rabbit. It amused me no end to hear people upstairs scream when she came put from under a bed of from behind the toilet and bit their ankles.

I could go on and on and on....

I have 105 rabbits at the moment. It is eight years since I had fewer than 100!

It is far more common for rabbits to be agressive than to be sweet and socialble. Out of the 105 rabbits only 2 like human attention but 10 are confirmed biters. And mine are all neutered which reduces agressive behaviour :?

bookwyrm

25 Oct 2013, 2:06 pm

oops doouble post

BrilliantLife
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2013, 9:11 pm

pro: If you have two rabbits you'll get more rabbits :D

They'd banish us, you know." - Emily Dickinson