Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 12:06 pm

JoeDaBro wrote:
The Great New Year's Bump

Don't bump threads or we (the mods) may lock them.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 12:14 pm

I got banned -by the court- from the whole of Manchester city centre when I was a kid.

I've never been banned from an internet forum though.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 12:34 pm

[quote="babybird"I've never been banned from an internet forum though.[/quote]

Where's my banhammer. :twisted: :P

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 12:37 pm

I always behave myself while I'm here. :D

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2014, 1:49 pm

Fnord wrote:
JoeDaBro wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
JoeDaBro wrote:
Fnord wrote:
JoeDaBro wrote:
... I got into a discussion, politely asked bronies just simply not to spam, then all the bronies lashed out on me. I kindly told them not to do stuff like this, and I got banned. See logic in that?

Yes, I do.

"Politely"? "Kindly"?

REALLY?

I'm being polite right now, yet I'm also telling you that we only have your side of the story, and that since you've been banned from many sites, it is most likely that YOU are the problem, and not the Internet.

So look to yourself first, before blaming others for not wanting you around.
What part of "Hey, um, Bronies, if you want to watch MLP, that's OK. If you want to go to brony conventions and have a fun time, that's OK as well. If you want to spam it everywhere, it would be cool if you stopped. Thanks." sounds like being rude, exactly?
It could come across as sounding like "STFU and don't post about stuff that I'm not interested in." If you see a MLP picture, just scroll past it. Problem solved.
Okay, dude, you're just trying to troll me...

No, blaming others for the problems they create for themselves is not 'trolling'; it is simply telling it like it is.

I agree with him, and suggest that if you see an MLP-based post, then just ignore it and move on.

Okay, I'll pretend they don't exist.
[10 minutes later]
The whole internet seems empty. There isn't anything on most websites anymore. Oh wait, I took something 10 minutes ago that made the internet look free of some dead meme or something.
[srs nao]
What I'm trying to get at is that MLP has replaced everything on the internet now. I really wish it could just be ignored and then end of story, but it isn't that way now. I'm being brutally honest here. If somebody just stripped MLP off the internet like tape on whatever, the internet would be deserted. I can appreciate people liking the show, but it really shouldn't be spammed.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:35 pm

JoeDaBro wrote:
What I'm trying to get at is that MLP has replaced everything on the internet now. I really wish it could just be ignored and then end of story, but it isn't that way now. I'm being brutally honest here. If somebody just stripped MLP off the internet like tape on whatever, the internet would be deserted. I can appreciate people liking the show, but it really shouldn't be spammed.

I've forgotten what the letters MLP stand for. In fact I come across it so infrequently I've forgotten what its about anyway... is it something to do with men manipulating women? If you think it is everywhere on the internet that must be reflected in the sites you visit. I've only ever seen MLP mentioned on this site and I participate in lots of sites. Must be a topic that doesn't interest me.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 4:55 pm

My Little Pony!

I've never seen it, but I think that's what he's talking about (I gather that from the threads on this site about it).

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 4:58 pm

Now I am at a loss :?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 5:00 pm

Max000 wrote:
LOL, yeah. Happens to me all the time. Here is one that I got from a Senior Moderator on a forum I post to. He basically admitted that the post I was responding to was complete idiocy. But he suspended me from the forum anyway for attacking the poster. I got over 30 positive rep points for that post from other members and an infraction from a Senior Moderator. :roll: Not only do the moderators on that site have no sense of humor, they are all right-wing nut jobs. So if I post anything in the political section, this is what happens.

Quote:
You have received an infraction

Reason: Personal attacks
-------
Even if you feel you're responding to bs or complete idiocy, that doesn't give you the right to attack the author of said bs. Ignore that post, debate the points made, provide links to prove him wrong etc - that's ok. What you posted didn't add to the topic in any way and only derailed the thread somewhat.
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:

U mad bro?

Take your meds. You'll feel better.

I would rather we move away from the debate tactics of asking our opponents to take their meds. It's insulting, and frankly, to be an ignoramus or a bigot does not require the presence of mental illness, and not all people with mental illness are like that.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 5:02 pm

I didn't realise My Little Pony was such a controversial subject.

RandyG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jan 2014, 5:04 pm

I'd like to ban the unreasonable part of the Internet, leaving only the reasonable portion behind. Of course it would be rather small. You could look at most of it in a weekend.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 5:47 pm

wozeree wrote:
My Little Pony!

I've never seen it, but I think that's what he's talking about (I gather that from the threads on this site about it).

Oh right! :lol: I must have mixed it up with PUA, that's the other acronym often used on here. I can't say I come across either anywhere else on the internet other than on WP, but then I don't frequent the sort of websites where those things are ever mentioned. Can't say I'm remotely interested in either topic.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 8:36 pm

beneficii wrote:
Max000 wrote:
LOL, yeah. Happens to me all the time. Here is one that I got from a Senior Moderator on a forum I post to. He basically admitted that the post I was responding to was complete idiocy. But he suspended me from the forum anyway for attacking the poster. I got over 30 positive rep points for that post from other members and an infraction from a Senior Moderator. :roll: Not only do the moderators on that site have no sense of humor, they are all right-wing nut jobs. So if I post anything in the political section, this is what happens.

Quote:
You have received an infraction

Reason: Personal attacks
-------
Even if you feel you're responding to bs or complete idiocy, that doesn't give you the right to attack the author of said bs. Ignore that post, debate the points made, provide links to prove him wrong etc - that's ok. What you posted didn't add to the topic in any way and only derailed the thread somewhat.
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:

U mad bro?

Take your meds. You'll feel better.

I would rather we move away from the debate tactics of asking our opponents to take their meds. It's insulting, and frankly, to be an ignoramus or a bigot does not require the presence of mental illness, and not all people with mental illness are like that.

Fair point. But do you really think it was necessary for the moderator to suspend me from that forum, for posting that? He didn't just remove my post, but he gave me an infraction and suspended me for it. Keeping in mind that it was posted in a political controversies sub-forum where certain posters routinely call others names like "liberals", and the moderators seem to let them get away with it, or even encourage it. But they suspend me for telling a very angry poster to take his meds. Does that really sound fair to you?

BTW I solved the problem. I simply don't read or post to that particular sub-forum anymore. I still post in other sub-forms (different moderators) on the same site, and don't have any problems, or get any infractions. But I do feel like the moderators infringed on my free speech (yes I know that free speech doesn't exist on a web site).

Maybe it is just me, but I started out on the internet a long time ago posting to Usenet. Which had no moderators and no rules. Everybody was free to post what ever they liked, including calling other people what ever names they wanted. The other party was free to respond and defend themselves, or they could just kill file the other poster, and never see their posts again. I kind of miss it. That type of system just seemed so much more free.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 8:59 pm

babybird wrote:
I didn't realise My Little Pony was such a controversial subject.

I think the problem is that some people get very obsessed with their interests, and then they start SPAMing that interest everywhere. I think it is basic human nature for people to get irritated when they keep hearing about a subject that they are not interested in, and don't want to hear about. There is a time and place to discuss everything. I should say a right time and a right place.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 8:27 am

Tallyman wrote:
I've forgotten what the letters MLP stand for. In fact I come across it so infrequently I've forgotten what its about anyway... is it something to do with men manipulating women? If you think it is everywhere on the internet that must be reflected in the sites you visit. I've only ever seen MLP mentioned on this site and I participate in lots of sites. Must be a topic that doesn't interest me.

Google is your friend:

MLP:
  • Members of Lower Parliament
  • Malta Labor Party
  • Mauritian Labor Party
  • Marcher Lord Press (Christian speculative fiction)
  • Money Laundering Prevention
  • Manitoba Liberal party
  • Multicultural Leadership Program
  • Marriage Law Project (est. 1996; Catholic University; Washington, DC)
  • Media Law Policy
  • Medical-Legal Partnership (various locations)
  • Maternity Leave Period (statutory allowance; UK)
  • Marxist-Leninist Party (various locations)
Yeah ... those PP&R discussions do seem to dominate the web at times. :lol:

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2014, 8:45 am

Fnord wrote:
[*] Mauritian Labor Party

That's the one! They all ride little ponies. :P