Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2007, 2:05 pm

Not sure if/where to post this, but an AS friend emailed me about it:

http://www.channel4.com/listings/C4/index.jsp

Quote:
21:00 Only Human
The Strangest Hotel in Britain
Situated on the seafront in Minehead, and where the majority of the staff have learning difficulties, Foxhills Hotel is open to fee-paying guests all year round and to students with special needs who stay for three years to learn all aspects of the hotel and catering industry.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2007, 2:17 pm

This looks very interesting. Actually, I'm on a ten-week course at the moment for people with sight difficulties and that is supposed to be teaching us new skills. I say "supposed to" as I'm not actually learning anything new. I need help with basic skills so that when the time comes I can assume greater self-confidence and independence. I think that is something that most of us on here strive for in one form or another.

I'll probably download this tomorrow when I get the time as it looks good.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2007, 2:23 pm

Yeah, I thought that looked interesting. Hope it's Basil Fawlty-esque. :D

lau
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2007, 5:43 pm

It was quite interesting. They seem to deal mainly with mid-range ASD teenagers. I couldn't get a good feel for exactly what the ratio of students to teachers/trainers/carers was. I did get the impression that the students did do the bulk of the graft work!

The pair of women who started it up and are still running it were telling various anecdotes, one of which sticks in my mind. A woman, who had come with a "Christian" party, was overheard saying something like "They really shouldn't be allowed near people. Why aren't they kept out in the country, away from everyone". They threw her out! Brilliant.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2007, 5:49 pm

Lau wrote:
It was quite interesting. They seem to deal mainly with mid-range ASD teenagers. I couldn't get a good feel for exactly what the ratio of students to teachers/trainers/carers was. I did get the impression that the students did do the bulk of the graft work!

The pair of women who started it up and are still running it were telling various anecdotes, one of which sticks in my mind. A woman, who had come with a "Christian" party, was overheard saying something like "They really shouldn't be allowed near people. Why aren't they kept out in the country, away from everyone". They threw her out! Brilliant.

Watched some of it. Did cringe a few times so eventually I turned it off. A very slimmed down roundabout version of this would probably be quite useful for many people with Asperger's Syndrome.

I didn't catch the anecdote but that sounds like utter genius! :lol:

lau
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2007, 6:39 pm

Tequila wrote:
Watched some of it. Did cringe a few times so eventually I turned it off.

I understand exactly what you mean. I nearly did too!
I guess I know what got you: where they had the emotional content, storyline, bits with the students.
I suspect they were very much staged - being on the spectrum doesn't mean you can't act. However, at times, I found it... unsettling?
I also watched David Tennant in "Recovery" last night. That had some "cringe" moments.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2007, 6:45 pm

Lau wrote:
I guess I know what got you: where they had the emotional content, storyline, bits with the students.

Not because it was an emotional part or because it showed you the students themselves. I quite like programmes that take a bit of interest in people. No, it was the cack-handed and frankly embarrassing way they happened to handle it.