Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2018, 1:41 pm

This is what it said on the cover of the Nirvana CD album when it was being sold in Walmart for the song "rape me". The song was still sung the same way however.

And it's not possible. Someone can't rape the willing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdSWaIvyQ3o

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2018, 2:44 pm

I don't want to listen to the song, so I don't really know the context, but I hear there's such a thing as rape fantasy.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jun 2018, 11:53 am

They had to change the word that was listed because it was too offensive from CrapMart. I think if they would of had to change the whole song or just have it taken off, Nirvana would of decided not to have the CD there. Good song & good band.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2018, 12:37 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I don't want to listen to the song, so I don't really know the context, but I hear there's such a thing as rape fantasy.

It's an anti-rape song.

Quote:
In a 1991 interview with NME, Cobain reflected a point of view about sexual assault which suggested that it was a “we” problem as opposed to just a “they” problem – something that highlighted how rape prevention was being treated just as one-sided as the AIDS epidemic had been.

“Rape is one of the most terrible crimes on earth. And it happens every few minutes,” Cobain said. “The problem with groups who deal with rape is that they try to educate women about how to defend themselves. What really needs to be done is teaching men not to rape. Go to the source and start there.”

At the time, the idea was that women needed to defend themselves through self-defense measures – a sort of “slut shaming” under the guise of female empowerment.

“I was talking to a friend of mine who went to a rape crisis center where women are taught judo and karate,” Cobain said. “She looked out the window and saw a football pitch full of boys, and thought those are the people that should really be in this class.”

Nirvana notably recorded songs which addressed the issue of sexual assault on “Rape Me” and “Polly” – spawned after reading about the rape of a 14-year-old girl in the news – and broader feminist rights on “Pennyroyal Tea,” and “Breed.” But it was Nevermind’s “Been a Son” which best addressed the nation’s sexist viewpoint at the time. Women weren’t just viewed as second-class citizens, Cobain argued that the public didn’t even want them.

Tori Amos, a victim of sexual assault who later touched on it her own song, “Me and a Gun,” spoke of the power of Nirvana’s own song on the topic, “Rape Me,” telling the New Musical Express in 1994, “I spoke publicly about that because I thought it was very clear what it was about. It was like ‘Go on, hit me! Rape me! You cross this line, Motherf***er, and I’ll kill you…you’ll never break my spirit.’ It’s a defiant song. But the scariest thing to a rape victim are the words ‘rape me’. When I first heard it I broke out in a cold sweat, but when you get over that you realize he’s turning it back on people.”

Inside the liner notes of the last album Nirvana ever released prior to his death, In Utero, Cobain solidified his willingness to put human rights over album sales, writing, “If you’re a sexist, racist, homophobe or basically an as*hole, don’t buy this CD. I don’t care if you like me, I hate you.”

Source

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 11:13 am

The title kind of sounds like they want to become a homeless, orphaned, and/or forsaken child.

spine
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2018, 3:27 am

Interesting. I knew Walmart always censored CDs but to change the title but not the track is an interesting choice.