Your Own Country / World / Universe

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Jun 2014, 9:32 pm

Hi...

I have posted a similar thread before, but a long time ago so it's buried deep in the archives...

Just wondering who else here has developed their own detailed country and/or world/s, anything from designing their own town or city maps / plans to a fully developed fantasy world, possible inventing new languages in the process as well.

I have detailed maps of my own country and in addition to that, have developed my own fantasy planet/s for a children's sci-fi and fantasy book series, which is a work in progress.

I'd love to hear from others who create their own worlds! I think it is linked to the spectrum, and would not be surprised if JRR Tolkien, for one example, would have been diagnosed as AS had it been tested in his day.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 12:03 am

i've been looking for a thread like this. time to show the world etronalienel, an ancient civilization started on the southeast edge of a continent, migrated onto an archipelago.

i've been developing fantasy words and maps for as long as i know; i created maps of my hometown in the 4th grade...
this is my current one. it's quite the work in progress...

part 1 of ??

[img][800:764]http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii601/hebikaltijdgeeerd/photo3_zps4deffbc4.jpg[/img]
^is this image rotated??^
the western part of etronalienel (pronounced et, ro, na, LEE ,nel [hyphen doesn't work]) also a work in progress.

[img][800:764]http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii601/hebikaltijdgeeerd/photo2_zps64e9236d.jpg[/img]
i made a much bigger version of the above too, this is a section of it. the core, if you say. this island is called taiseline. it has hanow, the capital of the entire 3,513 year old kingdom.

[img][800:764]http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii601/hebikaltijdgeeerd/photo1_zps969a4c8a.jpg[/img]
going east...this part is visible in the first photo above. this location was invaded in the late 1600s...needless to say the invaders got their a**es kicked!
many of the town names are inspired by people i know and places i've been to, or want to go to. One major city is named after a friends website.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 12:11 am

part 2

the sparsely populated east. poverty has been a problem in these areas (especially zodikat prefecture.) Imagen, and later Selaessie worked hard to crush human suffering and bad living conditions in this area. the east is also much colder than the west, thanks to currents.
also you can see Haisala prefecture, and in purple, a small, but very religiously important village called dDairvh, home to a monumant called Chaletieethaeie, a very very narrow mountain peak reaching 21,910 feet into the heavens.
if anyone was wondering, yes, this is where my location comes from.

a bit different, a "road map" of the center of hanow, the huge orange urban area in my above post. this. took. forever.

moving southwest, the notebook i did this on is pretty aged, it's showing sings of wear and tear. not good! :silent:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 12:16 am

part 3

see signature. heillese (demonym for etronalienel) monarchs usually get crowned here.

[img][800:764]http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii601/hebikaltijdgeeerd/photo51_zps87ec03f9.jpg[/img]
currently working on making a language for these peoples...it's in the early phase. i only have a writing system done and i have all the sounds to put in the language...but i just have to make a functioning language capable of having a conversation in.
i ordered a conlang book today...so i'm pretty exited. i've been working on this for a year. :lol:

also envirozentinel, i got your PM! enough about me...i would love to see your fictional worlds and creations!
they seem to be probably more developed than mine :o

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 2:48 am

This is called worldbuilding. I have thought about getting into it but I am not even remotely patient enough to create such detailed worlds. Heck, I spent almost a year struggling to create one single character, so obviously an entire world is beyond the scope of what my mind can do.

However, I am not devoid of creativity - I just need a "base" of sorts to work from. In other words, I like to build upon established characters, elaborating their personalities and tweaking them to my liking (for just one minor example, imagining that Willow from Don't Starve has pyrokinetic abilities similar to the "Firebenders" in "Avatar: The Last Airbender" instead of merely using a lighter as she does in canon).

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 6:12 am

I have a universe I've created that I write in. Go to my blog(link in sig). Click on the writing link at the top and scroll down to Amaranth. I've started writing some of the stories out. There are links to some of the chapters I've finished on the site I use. It's got LGBT elements in it. I have other universes I've created which are not LGBT centric but I've yet to write in them. I have a few maps, but none are posted anywhere.

I'm not really good at writing, but I've started and work to get better.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jun 2014, 1:58 pm

I like your maps and language Kipro, very innovative. I haven't scanned any of my maps in as yet but hope to do so soon, so you can see some of mine. My main country is English speaking but with a number of tribal languages in addition. The country is ruled by a Chancellor.

I also have the fantasy planet on which my children's sci-fi stories are based. (Radiant).

I imagine Etronalienel is a monarchy / empire ruled by a King or Emperor. Whose coronation is being referred to in your signature?

Does the photo you posted on another thread show you with suitable uniform (general / commissar cap...) holding the national flag of Etronalienel?

What is a conlang book? :?

It's so interesting to get an insight into each others worlds! It reminds me of NationStates, where virtual nations form federations, alliances and the like. I had one of two countries on there briefly but it requires lots of time to keep abreast of events there.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 9:21 pm

thank you very much!
and you're also partly right about it being a monarchy. it was one, but not since 1970. (revolution)
the one being mentioned in my sig is MVA, the 27 year old sucessor to the one who led said revolution. i guess she wanted to feel like a queen.

also, in the picture of me in the other thread, i was holding just a regular german flag. the heillese flag looks like this (quick sketch, you can kind of see it in my avatar):

and conlang means "constructed language". i ordered a tutorial-like book that would help me.
and yes, i'd like to see your stuff!

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jun 2014, 10:49 pm

Ah, I thought the flag you were holding resembled the German flag but I was not quite sure if it was, or just similar.

As soon as I get a chance (time) to do some scanning as well as a bit of selecting, I can show you some stuff of mine.

Any progress on Etronalienel's part towards a form of democracy since the revolution? Or is MVA an absolute ruler?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 11:57 pm

MVA has definitely more power than the old monarchs and prime minsters, but she's not a full blown dictator. there is a (rather weak) parliamentary system in place.
she is very popular for such a powerful head of state, but there is a bit of controversy surrounding her citizenship.
she wasn't exactly born in the country. she was born in Zweilpark, which is a heillese protectorate.
legally speaking, etronalienels laws (both before and after revolution) say she should be eligible to become head of state, but there are some who object to this. furthermore, ethnically she's only half heillese!

since i created these peoples and i oversee everything (8)) , the revolutuonary gov't will fall in 9 years. but they don't know this yet.

also, envirozentinel...how do you pronounce Qogqolobqo? just wondering. :mrgreen:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Jun 2014, 11:56 am

Qogqolobqo: hard g. Pronounced as in the Scottish loch, or in Van Gogh. All the o's are pronounced as in off.

Hope this helps?

I had a lot of fun developing the names for my country and some of the place names have changed quite a bit from what they were originally.

my sci-fi universe (planet Radiant) isn't really fully developed mapwise yet, but the main characters visit various places that have to come into the books and as they meet various odd characters, both good ones and villains, in the course of their adventures. I'm also developing the background story of Radiant and how the current system came about.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2014, 12:18 pm

@Kipro

Dude, that's amazing!

Ever since I was little, I've been building a Harry-Potter and LEGO-inspired world in my head. I don't build many buildings?mostly just people?but I've got all sorts of back stories and character development going on.

I want to try what Kipro did and make a map for the world I created for a creative writing story (which I hope to write sequels for), but I'm horrid at drawing.

And I also began inventing a dragon language. I should probably work some more on that, too.

Last edited by ReticentJaeger on 27 Jun 2014, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankReg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2014, 12:18 pm

I created a language in college, but nothing to the level of detail as this! I guess I sublimated all of that with pre-computer AD&D games.

However, I do have a dream city in which almost all my dreams take place. I have familiar landmarks, places I go back to, bad neighborhoods, good neighborhoods, transit systems, etc. In fact I just had a dream last night where I saw a music store which had been turned into a junk store.

Never thought of it as an AS trait before, but then I've only been diagnosed for a short while.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 6:17 pm

I used to dream in sequence. I didn't realize it until after several dreams (spaced out over months) - Each dream would be of a different place and they never actually joined each other. Each dream was of a separate, unconnected place (no place from one dream was in another) but after having several dreams, I decided to draw each place on separate pieces of paper.

Eventually after having many dreams and drawings of the places in the dreams, they eventually formed one big picture - the places matched up in a big oval shape and it formed one big place. It was like a big jigsaw puzzle that all fitted together made out of places in my dreams. This happened over the space of a couple of years worth of dreams. I sticky taped them together. I've still got the papers somewhere in a box in the garage.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2014, 11:03 am

I started my world few months ago, when I accidentally created a civilisation. Originally I just came up with some imaginary plants, not intending to create a world for them, but then I went into a lot of detail on how they were used, and ended up writing more about the people than the plants. I'm mainly working on maps and geography at the moment, using my dreams for inspiration. I'll post some pictures if I can find any that I like, but most of my drawings are unfinished.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2014, 1:49 am

ImAnAspie wrote:
I used to dream in sequence. I didn't realize it until after several dreams (spaced out over months) - Each dream would be of a different place and they never actually joined each other. Each dream was of a separate, unconnected place (no place from one dream was in another) but after having several dreams, I decided to draw each place on separate pieces of paper.

Eventually after having many dreams and drawings of the places in the dreams, they eventually formed one big picture - the places matched up in a big oval shape and it formed one big place. It was like a big jigsaw puzzle that all fitted together made out of places in my dreams. This happened over the space of a couple of years worth of dreams. I sticky taped them together. I've still got the papers somewhere in a box in the garage.

8O
wow. i don't think i can remember such things.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.