Are you accepted on other forums?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 3:32 am

For a long time I knew what forums were, but I never had actually joined any, I just occasionally visited one if I had a question that was relevant to that particular forum and thought maybe someone already asked what I was wondering. I don't know why the thought never occurred to me to join. I think I just didn't really entirely understand how forums work, and that there was more social interaction than I thought there would be.

The first forum I joined was made for a club at university (it was a general nerd/geek club, interests ranging from anime to Dr. Who to video games). To make a long story short, I was almost immediately suspected for having ulterior motives to joining the forum (to win a forum contest and that I had no intention of actually joining the club, even though I did plan on attending club events and had explained that on the introduction forum). I worked that out, but I still felt like I couldn't really get into the forum I guess. Like it seemed I was kind of ignored and I didn't really know how to join in on discussions and games and such, so I was kind of just there (similar to how I am at regular social events I guess). It was kind of weird, because I felt like I should at least fit in there with all the other weird people, but I guess I was still too awkward.

This is pretty much the only other forum I've joined, and I'm not sure I even want to join any others because I don't want to feel like the odd one out. It's harder to feel like that on here since everyone is pretty odd :D I joined almost immediately after reading a few threads, I just felt like I actually understood others on here, like what they said just clicked with me in a way that I'd never felt before, ever. It was definitely a foreign feeling to me.

But anyway, what are your experiences on other forums?

- Sherlock Holmes

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 3:38 am

Each forum seems to have its character and type of people who participate there. I'm a member of several eclectic forums and fit in quite well there. Other forums I don't bother to join as I wouldn't be a "good fit".

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 12:09 pm

I have never really understood people outside of WP forums, or felt that I had much to say to anyone online, except for WP.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 3:13 pm

On the a few forums I actively participate I am not only accepted but respected as well. If I am interested in something I research it, talk about it a lot and answer any question. So sooner or later I get the label of "the forum expert". I just can't stop myself from giving a lecture about my interest if I am allowed to so my posts tend to look like "little articles". :lol:
But it still surprises me when I enter a thread and see a post telling "Wait till Kiriae comes here, she will explain it to you, she is our expert about it.". :oops: It feels weird.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 5:59 pm

^that's great :D prestige is a nice thing to have.

this is really the only internet forum i've joined, and right now i have no interest in joining any others. i once considered joining a small forum for a game i liked to play back in '08 and '09, then i wanted to join, but for some reason i could not.

(when you create an account in the game, you are automatically given a set username for use in the forum but for some reason i couldn't log into mine. i was "minihorse")

this was probably good for the community seeing how much young(er) and naïve(er) i was, so i would have likely been a major thread killer. anyway that community is dead now. i joined this site in march and i did not reach 100 posts until may, even considering how recent both of those dates were i look back at my first posts and wish i had shown some more restraint.

as TallyMan said i would likely not be a good fit for many other forums, especially the ones that have a more hostile environment and corrupt mods.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 6:05 pm

I post on several other forums and the comments sections of a few websites (not YouTube... eugh...). I'm quite comfortable on a few of them.

When I first joined during my teens I was involved in a few forum incidents, but I learned how to stay out of trouble quickly enough and have had quite a bit of fun over the years. Once in awhile you find a truly toxic place that's best to avoid, but many forums can be worked with if you're cautious. I used to enjoy making friends, but I'm more of a talker (and nothing else) now. Too absent-minded and busy studying for the usual forum shenanigans and 10+ posts a day.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

25 Sep 2014, 6:38 pm

I only post on two other forums and the deviantART forums besides this one. It's about the same as here. Some people talk to me, others don't. I don't really care enough to try to feel noticed. :lol:

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 7:16 pm

I post on an ABBA blog regularly and I don't have any problems.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 12:27 pm

I tend to be well-liked on message boards that I frequently post on. There's a comic book forum where I've been posting since 2007, and the guys and girls there are basically my 'online family'. Way better than social media friends. :)

I've been posting on a Prince (The Artist Formerly Known As The Symbol) message board, and that's a pretty cool gang, and they seem to appreciate my input.

A couple of Indonesia-themed online communities, I'm also fairly popular and friendly with the regulars.

So yes, I think I do fine on any of these forums, just like here on Wrong Planet.

andyfzr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2014, 5:44 pm

I always get sarcastic comments or just plain nasty comments in other forums where at least in WP, everyone is polite to you.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 5:54 pm

andyfzr wrote:
at least in WP, everyone is polite to you.

Check out the "Politics, Philosophy, and Religion" forum sometime.

On second thought, don't.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 5:55 pm

I don't seem to get along with people that well.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 6:27 pm

Other forums? Heck, I don't know if I'm even accepted here yet, let alone the massive forum wasteland known as the Playstation Community.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 2:11 am

The Wikimapia forum has seen better days when people actually posted on there.
Then one day a new site design was rolled out, the site lost almost half of it's activity and everyone stopped posting on the forum as much as before. I became a moderator there and ended up becoming an active user there. Some other moderators then began to antagonize me in April and May last year until I finally snapped. I stopped posting there soon after.

Months later I realized I had a profile on here that I never used right after creating it and to my happiness found Wrong Planet to be a place where I can actually fit in.

Last edited by AntDog on 28 Sep 2014, 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Sep 2014, 8:57 am

I used to be accepted on some forums but it was before I became depressed & the forums weren't too clicky. WP is the only forum that really accepted me when I was going through the depression & it helped me sort things out & get over it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition