What's the meaning behind your WP moniker?

Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2014, 3:06 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
It makes me so happy that someone 71 stayed with us!! ! I've seen a couple of people who are in their eighties----and, even one in their nineties----and I think it's so cool that no matter your age, you can come here and finally have some answers!!

I like WP because, before coming here, I felt I had nothing in common with anybody.

But the thing I can't wrap my mind around (because I wasn't evaluated and noted until I was 69) is how it is to know, when you are yet young, how you differ from others, and then proceed on with your life. Is it especially hard knowing what your "difference" is?

I'm thinking everybody knows, their whole life, that they're different from everyone, else----like YOU said that you never had anything in common with anyone. It seems like most are RELIEVED when they find-out----the HARD part is getting others to understand us, and accept us, as we are.

If you don't mind my asking.... What made you decide to find-out why YOU were "different"?

It's a little embarassing. :oops:

Although I knew I was different and better or worse depending on brain work or a social interaction taking place I just tried to concentrate on what worked best for me and my family. This, plus the fact of growing up when AS was unknown and you were expected to pull yourself up by your own bootstraps, or be a failure, I just didn't have time to spend on myself.

But at 69 I read an article about being extroverted, and one thing just led to another. Although I was aware WP existed I mostly ignored it until making an emotional connection with another aspie, as I related. :D

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2014, 6:37 pm

It's interesting that an article about being extroverted would lead you to "Aspie"----so many are so introverted. You should do the post in my signature.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 1:20 am

I developed a strange affinity with sun showers, as I felt they were an outside representation of what was going on inside me. Their contradictory and strange nature symbolized a personality of simultaneous lights and darks/highs and lows/joy and sadness (joy represented by the sun, sadness represented by the rain). At the time I didn't know I had ultradian bipolar.

FedUpAsp
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2014, 6:20 am

FedUpAsp: Because I have AS and fed up with the way my life is going and want to do something about it!

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2014, 7:15 am

I named myself after Chuck Schuldiner, famous vocalist and guitarist of the band Death, known as "the father of death metal." Many band members went by dark or satanic stage names in the early days of the death metal scene. Schuldiner--either because he cared more about the quality than the image of his band, or simply couldn't think of anything better--just called himself Evil Chuck. :lol:

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 1:33 pm

Got banned from a certain site- had to come up with a new handle to sneak back on. Recalled the phrase from years ago. Also use it on this site.

Years ago I was reading a magazine article about the substence amber (derived from tree sap in the Baltic). The famous "lost amber room" and about the million year old bugs trapped in amber.

The magazine explained that chemically amber is "a kind of 'natural plastic' even though that sounds like a contradiction in terms".

Something about the phrase stunned me: "natural plastic"- it sounds cool, has a rythmn, and its a seeming contradiction of itsself. A great name for a rock band!

Then forgot about it, but it bubbled up from my unconscious years later when I needed a new internet handle.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 2:43 pm

Whoops, I changed my signature, ZenDen!! Here's the thread that I'm trying to get everybody to go to, to help-out a WP Aspie with a very important project regarding Aspie-ness:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt269691.html

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 9:11 pm

BlueOrchid wrote:
LOL.. Actually i got it from The White Stripes song that is called the exact same thing: Blue Orchid :lol: How "inventive" of me :roll: Not! :lol:

Why did you abandon the name DreamOperator?

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2014, 9:23 pm

I'm redundant. :mrgreen:

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 9:46 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
It's interesting that an article about being extroverted would lead you to "Aspie"----so many are so introverted. You should do the post in my signature.

It was quite interesting to me, also. :D

It began here: http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles ... -introvert

After reading this and thinking about it (for at least two weeks) I asked my wife (of 49 years,
at the time) to read it and her response to the article was "That's you!"

But when reading about introversion and known introverts I noticed the descriptions
were of people who avoided the "whirl" and chose friends according to their life style.

But I never had friends, whether in or before grade school (but met a lot of bullies
which changed my life for the worse), so it seemed there must be something I was
missing and before too long read about Asperger and the Syndrome, and every part
matched, and I began to understand why my life and it's "mysteries" had come about
the way it did.

And testing confirmed, in spades, what I'd learned: The over-protectiveness of my parents
which forced us to elope to marry; My being made to sit with the little kids while my
younger brother sat with the adults; my "natural" clumsiness being the cause for other
neighborhood kids to get into Little League and myself not (no matter how hard I tried).
I could go on-and-on boring you but you have plenty of the same stories yourself.

I don't know that learning about myself changed much. I still don't know my social a.h.
from my social elbow but just knowing the answers is so relieving it's hard to describe
the feeling. :D

BlueOrchid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Nov 2014, 10:36 am

Syd wrote:
BlueOrchid wrote:
LOL.. Actually i got it from The White Stripes song that is called the exact same thing: Blue Orchid :lol: How "inventive" of me :roll: Not! :lol:

Why did you abandon the name DreamOperator?

I liked that name (dreamoperator) more, but i hadn't been online for a good while, and by the time i wanted to start using WP again i had forgotten my password for that account :oops:
Something tells me i will go senile in a "early" age.. 8O :lol:

"Without deviation from the norm progress is not possible" | Frank Zappa

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 4:46 pm

My first pet rabbit was called Jenifer and her nickname became Jellybean. I thought it was cute, so used it as my moniker. Now that Jenifer has long since hopped over the rainbow bridge, it is kind of a tribute to her. I loved my little Jellybean!

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 5:05 pm

My friends used to call me Nambo as it was similar to the Alex Harvey band Super-hero Vambo who was always "coming to the rescue" which I used to do with mechanical problems they couldn't fix.
At the time I was a Naval Air Mechanic hence my rank was NAM

The picture is of my doppelganger, Tzar Nicholas, when I saw that picture I thought it was a picture of me.
Russians and Ukrainians at work insist on showing me to their families when ever they come over for a visit, I feel like a tourist attraction for Russians.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 5:37 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:

i was wondering about "MjrMajorMajor"...any reason why you abbreviated the first to "Mjr"?

now i am waiting for ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo to explain her name, it reminds me of bubbles. :D

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 9:48 pm

ZenDen wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

It was quite interesting to me, also.

It began here: http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles ... -introvert

After reading this and thinking about it (for at least two weeks) I asked my wife (of 49 years, at the time) to read it and her response to the article was "That's you!"

But when reading about introversion and known introverts I noticed the descriptions were of people who avoided the "whirl" and chose friends according to their life style.

But I never had friends, whether in or before grade school (but met a lot of bullies which changed my life for the worse), so it seemed there must be something I was missing and before too long read about Asperger and the Syndrome, and every part matched, and I began to understand why my life and it's "mysteries" had come about the way it did.

And testing confirmed, in spades, what I'd learned: The over-protectiveness of my parents which forced us to elope to marry; My being made to sit with the little kids while my younger brother sat with the adults; my "natural" clumsiness being the cause for other neighborhood kids to get into Little League and myself not (no matter how hard I tried). I could go on-and-on boring you but you have plenty of the same stories yourself.

I don't know that learning about myself changed much. I still don't know my social a.h. from my social elbow but just knowing the answers is so relieving it's hard to describe the feeling.

I want to read your article, but I don't have time, just now. Thankyou for posting it.

You're not boring me. I'm very happy to meet you / speak with you!!

I think I know the feeling when you found-out. It was a LIGHT feeling----like, the weight of the world had been lifted from your shoulders. Maybe, like you found that missing puzzle piece?

I'm so very happy for you!! ! ((((cyber hugs))))

I want you to go do what's on this thread:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt269691.html

Kiprobalhato wrote:
now i am waiting for ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo to explain her name, it reminds me of bubbles.

Yeah, I'd like to know that, TOO!! ! For ONE, it's a palindrome!!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 10:19 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:

i was wondering about "MjrMajorMajor"...any reason why you abbreviated the first to "Mjr"?

now i am waiting for ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo to explain her name, it reminds me of bubbles. :D

She explained it on another thread. The oh's are visual filagree. You're not supposed to pronounce them. So if you were wondering- No- it's not a reference to the classic hit by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. Maybe it is suposed to look like bubbles. But it must be hell logging in!