Is there any way to hinder a divorce?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 10:46 am

I'm hoping that with more time my wife might be able to forgive me and speak with me again and we can repair and rebuild our relationship, but is there any possible way - some random arbitrary form or something - to impede a divorce initiated by one's spouse?

elysian1969
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2015, 11:20 am

That depends on what state you live in. I know in Ohio divorce is fairly easy unless there are minor children are involved.

This might sound a bit sad, but by the time I filed on my ex-husband there was no repairing anything. I was done. Going through the delay and expense of the mandatory parenting crud classes the state of Ohio makes you go to- the ones where you are supposed to learn to be all civil about visitation and support (my son was 2 at the time) only made things worse. My ex didn't want visitation and the minute my second (and still current) husband wanted to adopt my son, my ex signed off his rights so he wouldn't have to pay support.

All I wanted was to get away from his craziness and get him away from my son who he never wanted to begin with. My ex was a hyper-controlling, OCD piece of work. Nothing could have convinced me to put up with him another day.

So my experience was that the faster and less complicated things could be the better.

I hate to put it like this, but if she has made up her mind, beating a dead horse will only make things more painful in the end.

It may be time for you to move on. :heart: :skull:

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 11:45 am

How much money do you want to waste fighting the inevitable? People only contest divorces these days when they can't mutually agree on the division of property, alimony, and custody/visitation. Child supoirt is pretty much set according to the formula that most states use. If one spouse wants to end a marriage and the other doesn't, not much is going to stop it. By the time one spouse files, there isn't a realistic chance at reconciliation.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits