did you play with human-shaped toys as a child?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 4:08 am

I didnt like the dolls my parents got me and played only with animal-shaped toys. so my parents stopped buying me dolls, and honestly, I dont remember where I dumped them. my parents got me finger-sized plastic jungle animals of all kinds and stuffed toys. I was happy to play with them and had no idea was little girls were supposed to do with their dolls.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 4:16 am

felinesaresuperior wrote:
I didnt like the dolls my parents got me and played only with animal-shaped toys. so my parents stopped buying me dolls, and honestly, I dont remember where I dumped them. my parents got me finger-sized plastic jungle animals of all kinds and stuffed toys. I was happy to play with them and had no idea was little girls were supposed to do with their dolls.

I had Sindy dolls but never really played with them. I really wanted Lego Technic but was always reminded how that was not a girls toy. Never really played with my Playmobil either. Had a big stuffed cow in my room that I would sit on and ride but never had animal toys that I remember beyond that.
I loved jigsaw puzzles, reading and a game called Jumbo Jet which I would play on my own most of the time.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 5:46 am

I didn't play dolls much but I loved crafting a house for them since very young age (perhaps 5 year old?).

There was a huge drawer under my bed and I turned it into a dolls house("The Sims" game style - view from up) using anything I could find (paper, cards, pieces of cloth, trash...). I crafted every possible room and customized them a lot. Whenever I found another trash I was thinking what could I make of it to get my dolls house even better.
I also liked crafting clothes for dolls.
And making houses from Lego.

However I can't say I didn't play dolls at all. When another child come to my house I was playing with them using the dolls I had. But I rather avoided playing dolls all by myself. Sometimes I could get my favorite doll outside for adventures such as walking in the "grass forest" or swimming in the "pond lake" all by myself, imagining how the world would look like if I were her size. But I still liked crafting the house and clothes more than actually playing.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 9:09 am

I played with Barbie dolls----but, only for the fashion aspect of it, because I always wanted to be a Fashion Designer. I didn't, though, imagine she was going on vacation, having a family, going to work, etc.

Other than that, I played with cars----could NOT get ENOUGH of cars----and always wanted a "Hot Wheels" racetrack and cars, but never got it----BUT, I DID race "street-legal" on a quarter-mile strip, as an adult!

Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 9:15 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
[color=#9932CC][b]I played with Barbie dolls----but, only for the fashion aspect of it, because I always wanted to be a Fashion Designer. I didn't, though, imagine she was going on vacation, having a family, going to work, etc.

I did the same for the same reason :)
I also made paper dolls so I could make different outfits for them.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 2:02 pm

Ever since I was a kid if a toy wasn't a doll or plushie of a humanoid or animal creature, I had little to no interest in it since it didn't encourage role-play, unless it was something I could draw or paint on or craft into a character. My mother didn't like my wanting dolls and plushies much for some reason, she seemed to think such toys were useless. But she didn't usually have a problem with crafting toys because I was an ARTIST - give me some drawing paper or some clay and I was a happy kid. But some of the crafting toys I had as a kid didn't live up to their advertising - like the DAS modeling clay kits. I once got a kit where you made figures of Smurfette and I was like awesome a village of Smurfettes instead of Smurfs, but the clay took days to dry and it wouldn't dry evenly and it would be brittle and break easily. Failure. :smurfin: :thumbdown:

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 4:38 pm

I enjoyed playing with action figures as a kid. Ninja Turtles, Batman etc.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 4:38 pm

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 4:39 pm

I liked playing with dolls--developing their personalities and making up stories about them. I didn't like playing with other people, though.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 5:45 pm

felinesaresuperior wrote:

I played with both...I had barbie dolls and other dolls, and I found it kind of fun to dress them in different outfits...but I also loved action figures/figurine type toys human or animal or humanoid, and I also had a lot of hotwheels cars I liked to play with. My parents didn't really try to get me to specifically play with toys aimed at young girls which I am kind of glad for since I was much of the time more into things boys would be more intrested in than a typical girl.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 6:25 pm

I had barbie dolls I liked to put different clothes on them, I had one of those baby dolls but I didn't like it and I used to dump it on the floor face down.
I liked playing with cars and had a toy volkswagon car (I even took it to bed with me) :D.
When I didn't play with that I played with my toy animals I had a cat one called green fluffy I still have that somewhere.
I found dolls creepy with the exception of Barbie dolls.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 6:27 pm

Legos if those count. Except that not really, once my father gave me his old "G.I Joe" action figures but I didn't like them because I only liked fantasy and sci-fi at the time, not war and stuff.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 6:35 pm

I had GI Joes when they were still a foot tall. That was never one of my favorite toys, though. I do remember having a lot of little green army men and cowboys and Indians, along with Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys and Lego-like plastic bricks and building elaborate forts and villages and setting up dioramas, so they appeared to be doing things, but everything was just lined up and standing perfectly still. After I had to pick them all up, I'd come back the next day and reassemble the same scenarios, in exactly the same way.

CanisHumanis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Apr 2015, 7:52 pm

I loved stuffed animal toys and always arranged them under my covers to sleep with me at night.

Creepy Crawlers were the best when I was in 4th grade.

Legos were always a favorite and I enjoyed playing with them with my stepsons when I was older. Modeling clay was and is another favorite. I'm a polymer clay artist to this day.

Never took to dolls. I didn't like their staring eyes and rigid little bodies. I find them very creepy, along with clowns.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Apr 2015, 9:47 pm

NewTime wrote:
Same here & also Legos

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 10:34 pm

I played barbie dolls except those aren't mine. :twisted: I never play-pretend with those, I did was:

A. Change their clothes, and see what it'll be like.
B. Tear them from limb by limb and behead them. Put them on another severed doll. (And no, I don't imagine them being tortured. See A.) Just to see what it'll looked like. Then put them back.
C. Nothing. I just put it in a random display and draw their model. (Which is badly.)

Stuff toys, action figures, and pretty much anything I can't dress up or move it's limbs with ends up with C.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.