Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 6:47 pm

and i have no clue what to do with it. i've been looking up baby rats online and still i don't know what i'm supposed to be doing.

here's a picture of it: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/me ... CF3199.jpg

it moves around freely in the box.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

14 May 2007, 6:50 pm

it get rid of it. rats are not cute

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 6:51 pm

Wow that's really cute, it's all small and furry! :D
I don't know what you're supposed to do with it either... I assume it's an orphan rat though so that means you now need to look after it. It's your baby now.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 6:56 pm

That looks like a black rat. It was responsible for caring the bubonic plague in its fleas.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 7:02 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
That looks like a black rat. It was responsible for caring the bubonic plague in its fleas.

Haha
I was obsessed with the 1665 Plague when I was about 8.
I wouldn't wanna get bubonic plague though... :?

Avian
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2007, 7:02 pm

Domesticated rats make wonderful pets; as good as hamsters and gerbils.

They're also extremely intelligent and highly sociable.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 7:03 pm

Someone brought some dead rats into school once and then they were throwing them round our form room. Sick bastards.

cruimh_shionnachain
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 7:26 pm

Surprisingly enough, and I never thought I'd say this, but that rat is adorable!
I suggest going to the library and getting a book on rat-rearing.

Apathy is not a vice, it is a relieving and downright enjoyable life-choice.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

14 May 2007, 7:27 pm

cruimh_shionnachain wrote:
Surprisingly enough, and I never thought I'd say this, but that rat is adorable!
I suggest going to the library and getting a book on rat-rearing.
hahahahahahaha

krex
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 7:27 pm

I had two pet rats.They are very good pets.They also LOVE to chew and have very strong teeth/jaws,can gnaw through most anything except glass.I would get a fish tank to keep it in and they eat just about anything.....seeds,fruit and veggies,pet food at most stores(same as gerbil food,etc.)I uused to use mine as "garbage desposal" after my dinner.At this age it should bond to you easily,just get it used to being help(but not to much,I killed my first mouse by over stressing it with constant petting...I love fur).

Anyway,be a good mommy.If you have the money,you should take it to a vet that deals with small pets....many wild animals have flees and may need to be treated.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 7:33 pm

When I was visiting family in Canada, my cousins found one of those rats near my grandmother's cottage. Our parents told us not to hold it as they were afraid it might carry diseases. My cousins kept it for about a week, before it got sick and started to die. They fed it cheese and gave it water to drink. They kept it in a cardboard box, but then they let it out into the bushes when it started to die. I had two pet mice and two hamsters once before and now I want a pet hedgehog. I think you should consider visiting a pet store and asking the employees about caring for pet rats. You should probably buy a proper cage and some food and a water bottle. Make sure you clean the cage often, otherwise your rat may get sick or the cage will start to stink.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 7:37 pm

richardbenson wrote:
it get rid of it. rats are not cute

Baby rats are cute. But then again, they don't stay babies forever, and adult rats are definitely not cute. I hate their huge, fleshy, hairless tails.

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 7:44 pm

krex wrote:
I had two pet rats.They are very good pets.They also LOVE to chew and have very strong teeth/jaws,can gnaw through most anything except glass.

It can be very annoying to hear them chew at night especially if they live in a wire cage. They are also very good at escaping in the middle of the night.

I had a pet hamster named Sophie that my mum nicknamed Houdini. She got out in the middle of the night once, crawled up the stairs and onto my mum's bed, and then crawled on my mum's face. My mum screamed and threw Sophie away from her. When my mum turned on the light, Sophie was sitting on the edge of the bed looking shocked. I also once had a hamster named Fuzzy who got out in the middle of the night as well. One time she collected all these bits and pieces on the floor underneath furniture. She stored it all behind the toilet in the bathroom. My friend Katrina has two pet rats and one of them just had (a lot) of babies. Katrina doesn't want to sell them because she's afraid they'll be used as food. She keeps them in a cage in her bedroom and one time they all got out in the middle of the night and she had to round them all up.

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 7:51 pm

Well I hate to see any animal die, I would help it, if I had it here.

Here are some links-

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/orphans.htm

http://pages.interlog.com/~audiotre/rats/

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 7:55 pm

OK, if I found that in my house, I would kill it. But, I assume that's not an option, so get a critter-keeper (a big one) and get stuff for MICE for now. Then deal with it when it gets older as the time comes. Rats are great pets, and good luck.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 7:56 pm

Is it a boy rat or a girl rat?
And what is his/her name?