who here is left-handed or right-handed or ambidextrous?

Page 3 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

left-handed, right-handed, or ambidextrous?
I'm a leftie :alien: 17%  17%  [ 12 ]
I'm a rightie :arrow: 54%  54%  [ 39 ]
I'm somewhere in between/ambi :star: 24%  24%  [ 17 ]
I wanna nice yummy ice cream! :chef: 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 72

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2015, 5:52 pm

Definitely ambidextrous! I started out definitely a rightie, but using my left hand also felt natural, so I became more ambidextrous the older I've become. How's that for interesting? (by the way, My dad was a leftie, and my mom is a rightie)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 6:10 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Right-handed, though I do some things with my left hand. I did somewhat okay after I broke my right wrist in 1975. I was able to learn to write passably with my left hand(though I lost that ability later). It's possible that I was forced, to a certain extent, to be right-handed. I have a "left-bias" sometimes. I picked "ice cream," by the way.

can you feel the weather in your healed wrist? just curious. what flavor of ice cream do you like? I used to love chocolate malt and peanut butter-flavor :chef:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 6:11 pm

JWS wrote:
Definitely ambidextrous! I started out definitely a rightie, but using my left hand also felt natural, so I became more ambidextrous the older I've become. How's that for interesting? (by the way, My dad was a leftie, and my mom is a rightie)

are you the average or median of your parents in other areas as well? are either of your parents at least partly ambidextrous also?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 6:14 pm

I have no problems with that right wrist; paradoxically, I've had problems with the LEFT wrist since age 15.

I like Chocolate

Also: Raspberry with piece of chocolate.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 6:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I have no problems with that right wrist; paradoxically, I've had problems with the LEFT wrist since age 15. I like Chocolate Also: Raspberry with piece of chocolate.

hmmmm... :scratch: our bodies can be mysterious oft times. raspberry and chocolate, excellent combo :chef:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 6:29 pm

I'm mystified at how there's so relatively few aspie lefties :scratch:

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 9:02 pm

In between.

Up until I broke my arm and dislocated my wrist (simultaneously) when I was 9 years old I may have been leaning more towards being a lefty....not sure. I remember it being very hard to adjust to being unable to use my left arm but that would have been the case no matter what my hand dominance, and I'm pretty sure I didn't have fully developed hand dominance when I was nine because of things like how I routinely switched hands when writing (one would get tired or sore in this one place where the pencil/pen rubbed against my knuckle, so I would switch and it was nothing to do so -- I could write equally with each hand). But I do remember that when the cast came off I was trying to do a lot with my left hand (single-handed tasks, I mean) and was very upset about how I still couldn't use it normally because my muscles had atrophied.

Now there are some things I do better with my left hand and others that I do better with my right, and things I do equally well with either hand. I'm not sure what the distribution is between left/right/equal dominance because I don't often pay attention to which hand I use for things unless I have a specific reason (which I usually don't) or it's pointed out to me. (e.g. I'm a left-handed knitter and I wear my watch on my right wrist, but I would not have known those things without someone noticing them and pointing them out to me; With the watch it was pointed out as an anomoly because I write with my right hand unless it's injured or otherwise unavailable and apparently most righties wear their watch on their left hand; With knitting it was just a happy accident based on observation of me trying to knit -- it was very helpful because I hadn't been able to learn despite trying over and over and over again for years and once I got lefty-appropriate instruction that changed very quickly).

Love transcends all.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 9:08 pm

animalcrackers wrote:
In between. Up until I broke my arm and dislocated my wrist (simultaneously) when I was 9 years old I may have been leaning more towards being a lefty....not sure. I remember it being very hard to adjust to being unable to use my left arm but that would have been the case no matter what my hand dominance, and I'm pretty sure I didn't have fully developed hand dominance when I was nine because of things like how I routinely switched hands when writing (one would get tired or sore in this one place where the pencil/pen rubbed against my knuckle, so I would switch and it was nothing to do so -- I could write equally with each hand). But I do remember that when the cast came off I was trying to do a lot with my left hand (single-handed tasks, I mean) and was very upset about how I still couldn't use it normally because my muscles had atrophied.

I hope you were able to get sufficient physical therapy on that arm.

animalcrackers wrote:
Now there are some things I do better with my left hand and others that I do better with my right, and things I do equally well with either hand. I'm not sure what the distribution is between left/right/equal dominance because I don't often pay attention to which hand I use for things unless I have a specific reason (which I usually don't) or it's pointed out to me. (e.g. I'm a left-handed knitter and I wear my watch on my right wrist, but I would not have known those things without someone noticing them and pointing them out to me; With the watch it was pointed out as an anomoly because I write with my right hand unless it's injured or otherwise unavailable and apparently most righties wear their watch on their left hand; With knitting it was just a happy accident based on observation of me trying to knit -- it was very helpful because I hadn't been able to learn despite trying over and over and over again for years and once I got lefty-appropriate instruction that changed very quickly).

I also wear my watch [youngsters ask me, "gee, what's a 'watch'?" :scratch: ] on my left wrist also. in the army I had to shoot right-handed, but woulda shot leftie if they made rifles that were leftie].

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 1:15 am

...I'm not sinister 8) :lol: :wink: ...........

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 3:11 am

indubitably :star:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 4:24 am

I shoot a pistol left handed, so I guess that makes me such.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 4:26 am

Dillogic wrote:
I shoot a pistol left handed, so I guess that makes me such.

I guess the thing is, which side has most of your obvious fine motor control [writing, brushing, handling fine instruments et al] if there is a trend one to one side of the other. as for me, I am a rotten shot no matter which side I use. :oops:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 5:12 am

You can exchange "shoot a pistol" with writing, painting, throwing, and whatnot for me (kicking a ball too). I shoot rifles and bows left handed. I drink left handed. I pick things up left handed. Skateboard lefty.

I'm strongly left handed.

I think the only right handed thing I do exclusively would be batting/swinging. I use the computer mouse with my right hand, but I can use it left handed too (I guess ambidextrous there).

Last edited by Dillogic on 15 Aug 2015, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 5:15 am

have you ever had a serious injury to either your right or left arm/wrist/hand?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 5:19 am

auntblabby wrote:
have you ever had a serious injury to either your right or left arm/wrist/hand?

No

I just used my left hand when I was a little fella; I grabbed things from people and picked them up with my left hand.

My mother is a lefty too.

The only odd thing to me is that I swing a club (say, baseball or golf) the same as right handed people, and that's how I did it from the beginning.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 5:23 am

I just ask that question to see if there is anybody here with my experience with that. feels better to have company. the handedness thing is at least in part a mysterious mixture of nature and nurture. glad to see more lefties are filtering in. :)