Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 2:11 am

This is something that bothers me, probably due to my issues with my weight...

but...

Is it normal after having a mattress for a while to have slight dips in it where your hip and bonier/heavier parts of the body lay every night?

I have slight dips where my hip, feet and shoulder goes and it really irritates me...the mattress is almost a year old now and I pretty much stick to sleeping on the same side as the springs on the other side are more prominent.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

20 Apr 2007, 2:17 am

I have this too, and I'm practically Gollum in my muscle/fat amount. The middle of my bed is sunken compared to the edges.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 2:28 am

Thank God, lol.
I cannot figure out how my feet can leave such a large dent, but I am guessing it is due to sharpness. Someone once told me sharp things dig bigger holes.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 2:32 am

You should get a plush or a pillowtop mattress. They're perfect for thin people! I have a Simmons one and it's like practically sleeping on a cloud! Plus it doesn't dip down either. :)

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 2:35 am

Lightning88 wrote:
You should get a plush or a pillowtop mattress. They're perfect for thin people! I have a Simmons one and it's like practically sleeping on a cloud! Plus it doesn't dip down either. :)

That sounds good. I find mattresses so uncomfortable I have been considering sleeping on a pile of blankets on the floor. I like the sound of that foam that forms around the body actually...memory foam. That is supposed to be very good.

I just sick of seeing dips in my mattress tho to be honest.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 2:50 am

Graelwyn wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:

That sounds good. I find mattresses so uncomfortable I have been considering sleeping on a pile of blankets on the floor. I like the sound of that foam that forms around the body actually...memory foam. That is supposed to be very good.

I just sick of seeing dips in my mattress tho to be honest.

Back when I had my old mattress, I used to pile blankets and blankets on the top of it and I still felt uncomfortable! But it was also fourteen years old, so that probably wasn't helping matters. :wink: My mom also just got a Serta recently (pillowtop, I believe) and she really likes it, too. As for memory foam, I've tried it out and I didn't really care for it that much. Mom loved it though, so I guess it just depends on the person. There are also pillows like that, too, but I think they run around $80 which is just outrageous.

BenJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2007, 3:27 am

My brother's mattress is much the same as yours and he is a twig. Dont worry about it. Buy a new mattress if you are uncomfortable weight has nothing really to do with it.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Apr 2007, 2:58 pm

get yourself a good matress. that memory foam one. drop a bill son. get a good nites sleep

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 6:05 pm

I think all (conventional) mattresses get dips eventually, unless you never actually sleep on it.

I don't know why, but it might have something to do with the fact that you lay on it for several hours a night.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 6:08 pm

werbert wrote:
I think all (conventional) mattresses get dips eventually, unless you never actually sleep on it.

I don't know why, but it might have something to do with the fact that you lay on it for several hours a night.

True :P guess I just sort of expect them to bounce back into shape.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 7:31 pm

Try a "sleep number" air mattress. Not cheap. My sister and two of my friends love them. I slept several nights on one: loved it. An I doubt air will ever take a set.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 8:27 pm

You're supposed to turn your mattress on occasion. Put the head at the bottom, flip it over, etc.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 8:09 pm

Sometimes I prefer sleeping on the floor :P

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2007, 8:18 pm

This happened to my mattress. I kept falling off one side because it sloped down. Then I turned my mattress over so the dip was underneath and on the opposite side and now it's fine. If you do need to get a new mattress, you might want to try a firm one if you like the feel of it.

beaker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Apr 2007, 9:47 pm

I am not thin. I have a very comfortable dip in my bed. You should rotate the mattress and flip it over on occasion. Also move where you sleep on it. Wears it more evenly. Also once it is worn a bit like that, the bed will be more even.

TrishC7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2007, 10:23 pm

Yeah, a lot of people don't know about the mattress-rotation thing. Your mattress will last much longer that way. Sleep number beds can be pretty good (I used to have a similar product by a different maker no longer in business). The memory foam mattresses work well for some people. For me, though, when I turn over during the night, the foam takes too long to forget where my previous pressure points were. Didn't work for me when I tried it.