Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 12:43 pm

Are people with Aspergers statistically more likely to have a heart attack or other heart problems?
And how can you tell if you're going to have a heart attack?
Also, how likely is it for a young person (18-25) to have a heart attack?

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 1:07 pm

Sopho_Soph wrote:
Are people with Aspergers statistically more likely to have a heart attack or other heart problems?

I don't know. Perhaps from social stress.

Unlikely to get a heart attack until you're 35, I think.

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 1:14 pm

Anubis wrote:

Depends on your condition actually, when I was severely Ill I found out that 85% of anorexics die from heart attacks because you're body doesn't have enough energy to survive and thus your heart fails. After this was brought up I did realize how obvious this was.

Extreme anxiety can also cause heart failure even in the most healthiest of people. Thus, yes it would make sense that AS are more likely to have a heart attack, also so is everyone else who has an anxiety disorder. Genetic wise? Heart failure in the family would leave you more prone, ect. Being too slender can leave you vulnerable to cardiac arrest, being too big can do the same. Not all heart attacks are lethal and they happen for a variety of reasons.

I imagine and from word of mouth I've heard it generally feels like you've stopped breathing, probably because you've stopped breathing. The effects vary in the degree of it I would assume, I've been told from my grandfather that he didn't feel really anything other than short of breath and a slight pinch.

I myself have stopped breathing, it also didn't feel like much other than just that: stopping breathing.

Last edited by agentcyclosarin on 02 May 2007, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

02 May 2007, 1:14 pm

People routinely goto the hospital with panic/anxiety attacks thinking they have heart problems.

My Grand father died of a stroke and my father has had two heart attacks and bypass surgery. My blood pressure is often high but I have been exercises alot , reducing sodium and lost weight. Seems to be in control now. I do feel strange feelings in my chest which make me think sometimes I have some kind of defect but it may be mental.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 1:16 pm

agentcyclosarin wrote:
Anubis wrote:

Depends on your condition actually, when I was severely Ill I found out that 85% of anorexics die from heart attacks because you're body doesn't have enough energy to survive and thus your heart fails. After this was brought up I did realize how obvious this was.

Oh yes, and that. I meant the average person without heart defects.

ahayes
Banned
Banned

02 May 2007, 1:19 pm

a couple years ago I thought I was having a heart attack, but I think it was just a panic attack

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 1:22 pm

ahayes wrote:
a couple years ago I thought I was having a heart attack, but I think it was just a panic attack

Panic attacks as previously stated are often mistaken as heart attacks BUT they can lead to heart failure. A plain old heart attack though? Through experience and word, I've heard they're pretty painless.

TellerStar
Raven
Raven

02 May 2007, 2:24 pm

I do a lot of running some I hope that will stop me ever getting a heart attack. But I also panick a lot and get myself very stressed. :cry:

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 May 2007, 6:05 pm

agentcyclosarin wrote:
ahayes wrote:

Panic attacks as previously stated are often mistaken as heart attacks BUT they can lead to heart failure. A plain old heart attack though? Through experience and word, I've heard they're pretty painless.

"I've heard they're pretty painless." Mine was anything but painless. Almost Nine years
ago I had a heart attack. I had the classic symptoms: severe chest pains radiating into
both arms, shortness of breath, dizziness, and nausea. Coronary artery disease runs
in my fathers side of the family. My grandfather died of a heart attack and my father
died from arrhythmia following a triple bypass operation. As for myself I'm ok for now,
But THE BIG ONE is coming. 8O 8O

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 6:16 pm

Sopho_Soph wrote:

I don't think we know the answer to that, because researchers haven't gotten there yet. Autism researchers mostly focus on kids and cure (thanks to CAN et al.)
Quote:

See richie's response for classic heart attack symptoms. You can't tell if you're going to have one, but if you are having one, usually you'll have severe enough symptoms to warrant seeking medical help. Note however that women can present with different symptoms than men, such as abdominal pain instead of chest pain.
Quote:

Pretty unlikely, unless you were born with a congenital defect or some other rare medical condition.

Estrogen protects women from heart disease. Most women can be reassured that they will not have a heart attack until menopause. After menopause, I think the rates of men and women become equal.

Sophosoph, please don't worry about it. If it's panic attacks, see a doctor.
(I'm a registered nurse, by the way)

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 7:14 pm

richie wrote:
agentcyclosarin wrote:
ahayes wrote:

"I've heard they're pretty painless." Mine was anything but painless. Almost Nine years
ago I had a heart attack. I had the classic symptoms: severe chest pains radiating into
both arms, shortness of breath, dizziness, and nausea. Coronary artery disease runs
in my fathers side of the family. My grandfather died of a heart attack and my father
died from arrhythmia following a triple bypass operation. As for myself I'm ok for now,
But THE BIG ONE is coming. 8O 8O

I didn't think my tolerance of pain was THAT high. 8O
Perhaps it was just a panic attack than and simple.. heart failure?
As for my grandfather well.. he was nutty in the beginning.

ahayes
Banned
Banned

02 May 2007, 7:22 pm

8O I used to get panic attacks for no apparent reason.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 9:04 pm

Sopho_Soph,

You’re experiencing a lot of anxiety aren’t you?

I know your pain. :(

Myocardial infarction is usually due to a combination of factors; anxiety itself can acerbate an underlying condition, i.e., an arrhythmia which can lead to an acute MI under certain conditions.

I've got AVNRT, a type of atrial tachycardia that's made worst (more frequent) from anxiety; but since my heart is "fine" and I'm "young", I don't really have a greater risk than anyone in my age group; if I was 80 and had ventricular failure for example, sustained atrial tachy can lead to a MI (still rarely though).