Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 3:01 pm

Loading gear into my mariokart and ripping to Squamish to go do THIS in this majestically beeeeeeeeeeautiful place on this GORGEOUS smokin' hot Summer Saturday!

It's only my 4th time out this Summer as the weather hasn't been ideal AND I've been far too busy partying my face off for the last 6 weeks.. and there's another party starting tonight at Midnight *IF* I have the energy & will to go tonight.. hmm.

Anyways, time to rip to Squampton, then Maaaaaaaybe make it back down to Wreck Beach for sunset.. hope you're living it up on this gorgeous Summer Saturday! :D

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2016, 4:31 am

Had a really epic 3 hour session of dancing with the wind & waves! Then it ended with a bit of a kitemare when I got a line stuck on top of the only post sticking out of the water.. got rescued by the jet ski and my kite and lines are fine!! That's the FIRST kite Denim has rescued from that post that wasn't either completely destroyed or at least badly damaged. Time for a decent night's sleep so I can go give'er in the river again tmw! :D

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2016, 1:26 pm

I was tired last night so I only unloaded the wet gear to hang to dry a bit and just backed my car into the garage and closed it down so it's all preloaded and ready to roll out pretty quick!

Almost time to go make a rip up the world famous Sea to Sky highway (BEAUTIFUL beyond words scenic drive) until I get to Squamish, then hang a left towards the coast and roll down 4.2km of gravel road to The Spit where I'm gonna kite kite kite 'til I can't kite no more! Ha, like last night - SUCH a good session!!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 2:03 pm

Feeling a bit under the weather the last couple days.. but coffeeing up & cooking food to go. Planning on loading up my mariokart w/ gear, food, and water and making my way to Squampton for an afternooner session & then hopefully Howe Sound Brewing is playing the final Tragically Hip concert live on CBC at 5:30pm PST. (gotta make a phone call to double check! Otherwise I'll knock on a door on an Indian Reservation to watch it if I have to! :D ) Then I'll either pitch my tent or sleep in my car so I can kite again tmw.. after that, if I'm feeling up to it and really want to punish my body I miiiiight just head towards Whistler to have a beer with all the crazies wrapping up their week and a half of partying for Crankworx (biggest mountain bike festival in the world) before I roll back downhill to civilization and catch some zzz's for work... but chances are I won't do that last bit and I'll just make my way home and get some rest. It's a nice thought, though, especially since one of my high school buddy's older brother founded pinkbike.com and this is probably the biggest party they throw anywhere in the world.. however, if I go chances are I won't get a wink of sleep before work Monday morning and that wouldn't be very responsible. Mind you, I did only get an hour and a half's sleep before work after Pemberton Festival.. hmmmm - I guess it depends on whether I'm feeling worn out and ready to crash and burn Sunday night or revved up and ready to party regardless of what time I get home.

As for kiting, we're in the middle of a heatwave.. which means EPIC thermal winds and chances are good that there are ~100 kiters out there at The Spit today. I'm gonna leave within the hour I think. Hopefully my little mariokart continues to be of service to me - she's burning a LOT of oil.. so I just bought 20L yesterday lol. Go kitemobile go! Ideally you'll last the Winter for me before I have the budget to buy something I want vs. something I need. Heh, hope you're all having a fun Saturday/weekend.. and if you can't get out, for the love of all that is holy at LEAST hop online and stream the final Tragically Hip concert this evening!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... er-w435020

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2016, 3:05 pm

After a short but sweet session where I jumped the wake of a party boat a couple Saturday's ago, my main kite exploded in a bit of a crash landing on the beach because the guy landing my kite wasn't paying attention and missed it. :/ I had no time to get mad at him as I needed to make it to the pub to watch the final Tragically Hip concert so I just said "s**t happens, it's only money." and packed up my gear and left. I thought for sure my kite was totalled as it's so old it wouldn't be worth repairing.. but I took it in to the kite doctor's anyways and they were able to perform surgery and save it's life for less than the cost of buying a used rig! :D So, old patchy is all patched up (again) and ready to fly.. which is why I'm gearing up to head to Squamish this afternoon to kite today, sleep in my tent or car, and kite again tmw for this long wknd. 8) Hopefully the weather holds well enough that I can pitch my tent vs. sleep in my car as it'll be more comfortable... but w/e, that's what yoga's for. :P

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 12:59 am

Had my kite patched up at a sail shop and got out on it another Three days before the end of the official season! :D Had an absolute blast every time. So much fun, such cool friends. The last day was a little weak for wind, but it was picture perfect when I got there and there were 80-100 kites in the sky. Such a cool sight!

Now I might be packing my gear away until next Summer... ooooooorrrr I might buy an old used board and go kite in some storms this Fall. There's a regular crew that hit the storm winds up at a few different beaches less than 20km from me (vs. ~125km each way.) sooooooo I might just have to join them. Maybe. Depends on work/money/time commitments - basically I was planning on working my ass off all Fall & Winter to stack cash and just ignore sports for now. Hmmm. First world problems, I know. :D