Do you consider yourself as abnormal?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 6:03 pm

I know that there are a lot of people who say "there is no such thing as normal" or "I hate the word normal" or something similar. While I'm not trying to invalidate their opinions, I consider myself abnormal. I'm proud of the fact that almost everyone I've ever met has called me weird. What are your opinions about the word, "normal"?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 6:07 pm

I deviate from the "norm," yes.

I do consider myself "abnormal"--but I don't believe this is a reflection of my true worth.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 6:14 pm

People call me weird sometimes. It used to bother me, but I don't really care anymore. I am weird, but I think all people are in their own ways.

Quiet Water
Raven
Raven

04 Oct 2016, 6:27 pm

Considering the norms these days, I don't think abnormal's a bad thing, really.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 6:40 pm

Quiet Water wrote:
Considering the norms these days, I don't think abnormal's a bad thing, really.

So true.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 6:43 pm

I'm a normal Wolfman.

NRFPNEFLFIFCL
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Oct 2016, 6:46 pm

I don't even choose to see myself as a human. I'm an abstract concept.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 7:23 pm

I'm beyond abnormal. I'm absolutely freakish.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 7:33 pm

I think 'normalcy' comes in different flavors and is a gradient as opposed to being binary. Two people can be totally different yet both be relatively 'normal'. I think a better word people should use is 'common', except that loses it's connotation of putting the speaker in a superior position, but rather places you in the superior position.

To call someone 'normal' sounds, to most people, like a compliment, and is certainly intended as some dig in most cases when used 'you're weird/not normal'. However, simply replace it with common, and it makes you sound so much better. 'you're not common'... well, thank you, I don't want to be common.

Overall my patterns of thinking usually do not fit neatly into any classification of normal that I'm aware of. Many of by behaviors do not either, but mostly because I, like I'm sure most here, do not censor my behaviors in an NT way. In many ways I just let myself be, which blows some people's minds when they start to get to know me.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 7:36 pm

It's true that there's no such thing as normal, since we're all different. But I also know that I am different from other people--and I even feel different from other autistics. So yes, I do consider myself abnormal.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 9:14 pm

If abnormal is short for "above normal", then yes, and I'm not referring to body temperature. :P

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 12:51 am

I'm undeniably abnormal and not in a good way.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 1:12 am

there's a saying in my language: "from up close, nobody is normal". i guess in my case the only difference is that you only need to ask me a question or two to realize i'm no exception to that rule. most of the time, i'm not so visibly out of the ordinary (or at all), but friends and foes alike almost invariably say i'm weird once they get to know a little bit about me (or even after they have known me for a long time)

that's a good thing, as far as i'm concerned. because while i normally don't want to draw attention among strangers (at first sight, people usually think i'm a student), i don't want to be associated with any particular social group either. and that's what being "normal" means: being typically associated with a certain mainstream social group (and seeing yourself as such)

arachnids
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2016, 7:42 am

I class myself as a different species, so I'm only normal for my particular species. I know I appear abnormal to the majority of people (who belong to the other species).

I am not taking the damn Venlafaxine!

On Propranolol

I like cats, trees and spiders.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act' George Orwell

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2016, 7:51 am

"Abnormality" means "minority", nothing more, nothing less. So yes, I'm abnormal.
It's just that we shouldn't automatically attribute negative qualities to abnormality, and always equate it to disease, because that's how prejudice is generated.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 8:03 am

When I think of abnormal I think more of someone with abnormal interests or desires. I think I am pretty ordinary when comes to that.

But my outward behavior in appearance is plenty abnormal that's for sure.