Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 1:35 am

When I was growing up in the seventies there was a Barbie Doll I wanted called Malibu Barbie but I never got it, after seeing it on ebay I'm thinking of getting the original 1971 Malibu barbie does anyone think its silly to want to get a barbie doll that I wanted all those years ago?

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 4:00 am

i think that is beautiful.

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 9:35 am

Nah, I think it's awesome. :mrgreen:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 9:39 am

Not at all. Lots of non-children people are doll collectors. :)

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 9:50 am

You are an adult, act like one!

Now go buy that Malibu Barbie!! !! !

You should see the magnet toys spread all across my work desk :)

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 10:13 am

Are you trying to express your personal power, like, now that I'm older, I'll have what I couldn't have before?

Does it bring back nice childhood memories?

Is it about the doll itself and how much you still like it?

Anyhow, even if it is silly, is that a bad thing? I think if someone loses all their silliness, they're more likely to become a grumpy old man/woman before their time.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 6:41 pm

DataB4 wrote:
Are you trying to express your personal power, like, now that I'm older, I'll have what I couldn't have before?

Does it bring back nice childhood memories?

Is it about the doll itself and how much you still like it?

Anyhow, even if it is silly, is that a bad thing? I think if someone loses all their silliness, they're more likely to become a grumpy old man/woman before their time.

I think its about the fun times in my childhood when I had this friend who I used to play with and she had one.
She was the only friend I had in primary school and she tried to stop the other kids from bullying me.

I think they bring out reproductions so if I can't get any on ebay I could go looking.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Oct 2016, 6:48 pm

No. Go for it

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 6:51 pm

Totally not silly. One of the joys of being an adult is spoiling your inner child from time to time.

Pravda
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2016, 7:03 pm

Not at all. It's adorable. I've done plenty of things that I wanted to do when I was little but couldn't, and I think a lot of people can say the same thing. There's a great feeling that comes with finally accomplishing it, like fulfilling a long-standing goal, or relieving an itch that you've needed to scratch for ages.

Although honestly, this made me think of this from The Addams Family Values:

Don't believe the gender tag. I was born intersex and identify as queer, girl-leaning. So while I can sometimes present as an effeminate guy, that's less than half the time and if anything I'd prefer it say "female" of the two choices offered. I can't change it though, it's bugged.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 7:13 pm

Not silly at all :) I have done this with a couple of things from my childhood. Treat yourself!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 5:28 am

No, not at all. My mum and her 3 siblings grew up in the 60s-70s and they have just purchased each a soft toy of characters from 'Banana Splits', because they didn't have soft toys of those characters when they were children.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 5:51 am

i think that's the kind of thing that's really worth spending disproportionate money or time or effort on, for yourself or as a gift to someone you know well. nothing can replace that emotional link to your childhood

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 5:53 am

I finally got my baby bwue bwankie returned to me in my 40s, so there is IMHO nothing wrong with wanting your Malibu Barbie at the same age. :wtg:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 9:03 am

Buy it!! !! Not silly at all! :D

Because my family is fractured, parents died while I was still a young adult, family house was sold, I never got to keep any of my childhood stuff that even people of my age now probably still have at their elderly parents' house, I lost all my things I would have liked to still have, including a set of very nice books.

Those books are now highly prized by collectors. I wanted to "recreate" about ten years worth of the books I was given for Christmas each year, so I spent years on e-bay buying copies of the ones I remember and felt most nostalgic about.

It actually took ten years to do, as some of the prices are so high, I had to wait to get a bargain as I strictly limited myself on what I could spend. I love the fact that I "still have" those books even though I had to buy them again.

A family member stole a particular item from me that was a gift from a friend when my first kitten died. It took YEARS to find it on e-bay but one day there was another exactly like it, and I bought that too.

Go ahead and buy that thing from your childhood that you never got to have, or had and lost. I think more people do this kind of thing than we suspect, I sure did.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 10:23 am

That doesn't seem silly to me. It's natural to buy things to build the childhood that you wanted around you. I think you should buy it.