Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 10:12 am

Since the family doesn't wake up early outside of school/work on weekdays 5:30 AM was too early and OMG! I should sleep in. If they could they would OMG OMG! (was the message I got).

Yet 9AM/10AM I'm dragging myself and depressed don't feel like doing much of anything on these days of sleeping in late.

I hear success articles/videos about sleeping barely 2hrs. a night to gain success! WOW! When I started doing this 5:30 AM I was dead tired by 8PM ready to hit the bed. Great for NOW! Bad for the December cruise this year and midnight snacks or the 1AM comedy club Goes until about 1AM that is. (if you are physically tired by 8PM how are you going to do 1AM fun stuff???). Also YES I know you shouldn't eat/digest before bed but it's a cruise for fun. Cheat a little.

Any tips or ideas? What are your thoughts on waking up early?

I know some do 4AM or 4:30 even!! !!

Read some 3AM/3:30 articles too but it's FINDING SOMETHING TO DO AT THAT UNGODLY EARLY HOURS! That bores you! Turn off the alarm crawl back into bed sleep til 9 or 10AM again.

(Usually do this with the 5:30AM yet during the day TELL MYSELF I'll commit and DON'T!)

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 12:28 pm

Left to myself I will go to sleep around 1-2am and get up around 9-10am. Thanks to new neighbors at the back of my alley, I have been waking up around 8am and going to sleep around 11pm-midnight. They wake me up every morning like clockwork when they leave the house everyday. I need at least 8 hours of sleep at night to be something like functional the next day... and I still fall asleep most afternoons for an hour or two. I require a lot of sleep and I have always been this way. It amazes me how some people can function with 5 hours of sleep each night or less. I know some people can, but yeesh. Not everyone needs 8 hours and not everyone can be okay with less.

As for tips and tricks to get up early... I try to eliminate naps the day before so I will hopefully be tired that evening then try to go to bed early so I can try to be functional in the morning. That and coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. In theory, a little exercise should also help get you kick started in the morning, but if I have to get up at 5am the last thing in the world I am thinking about is exercise. Really though, if you want too get up earlier, maybe slowly work up to it. Instead of going from 9/10 am to 5 something, try a few days at 9am, then a few days at 8:30 and so on. Hopefully the time of night you go to sleep will kinda sync up with that and stay around 8 or however many hours you need per night.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 12:57 pm

I am not a morning person.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Oct 2016, 11:51 pm

I woke up early when I was lonely cuz I hated the idea of sleeping alone & my anxiety & OCD also kept me up sometimes. I sleep alot better now that I have a girlfriend I'm living with & I'm on a med for my anxiety & another one for my OCD. I'm also on the antidepressant Trazodone for a minor depression that not sleeping well was contributing too & it's used off-label for sleep more than it's used for depression. Some other meds I'm on might make me more tired too. I don't get up early unless I have to nowadays. I tend to want to sleep 9/10 hours but I do wake up abit sometimes.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 2:28 am

I set an alarm for 5.30am and start my day then. I only started about a month ago, but it's changed my life!

For the first week it was exhausting and I needed to be in bed by 7pm. I felt ill and shaky and couldn't keep my eyes open, but after that things did settle into place.

Now, I don't mind waking at 5.30am at all.

For me, I find that it really helps because it gives structure and routine to my day. We start straight away - no lying around thinking about how tired I am. I also use a sunrise alarm clock, which helps a little.

I get up at 5.30am, wake my daughter and we go straight down to breakfast. By the time we've finished breakfast, I feel much more awake and aware anyway. Then, we have half an hour in the lounge where she watches TV and I start my work for the day, then we get showered and dressed and we're ready by 8am. That gives us loads of time for a very productive day.

I'm thriving on the routine. I also have time to myself, which I didn't before. Even have time to go out cycling in the evening, now.

Until recently I was excessively tired, constantly. I would wake up begrudgingly at 7am. If I was offered a lie in, I could sleep until 11am and still feel just as exhausted as when I went to bed, but with the addition of a wasted day and nothing to show for it. My husband was constantly suggesting that I see a doctor because 'nobody should ever be that tired - something's wrong'.

It then occurred to me that it may have been an autistic thing. Perhaps I was shutting down, because my brain couldn't cope without structure and with no predictability, so I set the alarm for 5.30 and we have very structured days broken down into 30 minute slots. It's been amazing to experience the difference. I have had just one day when I didn't set my alarm, because I felt guilty about waking my husband so early on a Sunday, and I was absolutely right - I just felt exhausted all day, I burned out, I got really upset because there was no routine to my day, and by the end of the day I'd just wasted my time and I felt absolutely rubbish. So, the alarm no longer goes off - a 5.30am start on every day of the week.

chirpy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2016, 1:09 pm

I wake up at 6:30 am on days I have to go to university. That's not a problem because I've always had to wake up early ever since elementary school.
On other days, I wake up when I want/need to.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 3:33 pm

I have to for my son and my daughter sleeps in luckily.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 3:50 pm

Yes - even on weekend/non work days. (A couple non work days I actually went to a 5:30 A. M. Spin/cycle classes, last summer. )

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 3:58 pm

I always wake up at 6.

Always. :tired:

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 4:03 pm

My sleep schedule is a mess. Today I woke up early after only 4 hours of sleep but lately I've been waking up at noon a lot. I'm not a morning person. I like to joke that I am on Mars time because a Mars day is 40 minutes longer then an Earth day and my sleep schedule tends to naturally drift about 40 minutes later each night when I'm not putting effort into maintaining it.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 6:44 pm

I usually wake up around 9:00 or 10:00 AM. If I sleep in, I wake up at noon, and if I have to work, I wake up around 6:30 AM. I hate waking up early and love sleeping in.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 7:11 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
I hear success articles/videos about sleeping barely 2hrs. a night to gain success! WOW!

You shouldn't listen to those articles and videos; sleeping only 2 hours a night is bad advice for the vast majority of peoples. Sleep is important, and peoples needing only two hours of sleep and very rare; you should sleep in the hours you are comfortable to sleep in as much as it's allowed by your work, activities and lifestyle. Don't cut your sleep hours to gain time either, it's a bad idea and it's bad for your physical and mental health.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 7:22 pm

I can't allow myself to have a lie-in, the idea of it makes my skin crawl. I wake up early and I get up right away. I wouldn't listen to any advice that tells you to sleep for just 2 hours though, that's going to put a lot of stress on your mind and body. I've been staying up too late recently and it's doing me no good at all, I need to get out of the habit.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 7:59 pm

No. 10-12 usually.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 9:18 pm

I used to be totally NOT a morning person----but, somewhere, along-the-line, I changed, and am VERY glad I did!

I used to wake-up at 5am, everyday, to watch my craft shows, but they're on at a different time, now----now, I wake-up, usually, between 5:30 and 6:30, which is okay. The later I get up, the worse I feel, cuz my whole day is off, and I get really confused as to what I'm 'sposed to be doing----like, if I get up after 7am, FORGET IT; I'm BEYOND screwed!! I like to do the same thing, at the same time, everyday, or else I'll forget something----like, I always forget to eat.

On days that I work, all bets are off, though----but, when I have a morning job, I like to get-up about 3 hours before I have to leave, so I can have a little bit of my usual routine, and it gives me time to come to life, and so-forth; plus, I try to continue to get-up at the same time, on my days off, so I'm not so screwed-up, when I go-back to work.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2016, 10:01 pm

Yes, but I nearly always fall right back asleep afterwards and then I'm lucky to be up by the crack of noon. :)
Its falling asleep early I have a problem with.

But before, during and shortly after my Asperger's diagnosis my sleeping patterns went through an abrupt change and I hated it. I spent more nights being unable to sleep at all. I would have spasms that would wake me up as soon as I started drifting off over and over, I would wake up during the night with horrible anxiety and feeling like I was a heart attack, and I would be up for the day at dawn even if I barely slept or not at all. I used to think I had a mild case of bipolar disorder, but the staff at the home I used to live in seemed to think it was all my fault even though I was taking medication for it and still do. Those were horrible times, and I am thankful that they now behind me, I just worry now they will happen to me again one day. You can't possibly understand just what it's like spending your every waking moment feeling like you are about to die a terrible death unless you've actually experienced it.