Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Velcrowalls
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Oct 2016, 5:25 pm

It's a question that usually comes up every Halloween but I want WP's opinion on the subject. When do you think someone is "to old to trick-or-treat?" I also ask if any of you above the age of 18 still trick-or-treat and how you are treated if you do.

This is my first year not trick-or-treating but as soon as I turned 19 I started getting treated a lot differently. People become rude and meaner. I don't mind not going to their houses it's just if you don't feel comfortable with me doing it just politely tell me to leave and I will. I also look up to see if there are any laws against it every year where I live yet nothing but I still get more people treating me bad. They make me feel stupid for doing something that as far as I know is very legal. I'm not doing it to be a jerk or take away from the kids I just thought the free candy was for everyone. So this year I feel a lot safer that I'm not doing it.

To sum this up here are my questions:
Do you think there should be an age limit on Trick-Or-Treating?
How would you feel if an adult came trick-or-treating at your house?

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 5:28 pm

I seen big kids (teens) doing it all the time, but once your considered an adult its not seen as vary kosher to do and will be frowned upon, but you can still likely get away with it with most people.

Velcrowalls
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Oct 2016, 5:45 pm

AspergianMutantt wrote:
I seen big kids (teens) doing it all the time, but once your considered an adult its not seen as vary kosher to do and will be frowned upon, but you can still likely get away with it with most people.

So it really is one of those social laws no one talks about. :(

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 6:19 pm

I've never been trick-or-treating; I wasn't allowed as a child, and then I missed the appropriate cut-off age.

I think people probably dislike late-teenage trick-or-treaters and older for a couple of reasons. Older kids tend to have a bad rep in some people's minds so there's that. In the same vein it might be a little intimidating answering the door to a group of older kids or adults than to little children.

Mainly though, I imagine it's this: some people resent feeling obligated to give free candy to those old enough to buy it for themselves.

Velcrowalls
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Oct 2016, 6:38 pm

racheypie666 wrote:
I've never been trick-or-treating; I wasn't allowed as a child, and then I missed the appropriate cut-off age.

I think people probably dislike late-teenage trick-or-treaters and older for a couple of reasons. Older kids tend to have a bad rep in some people's minds so there's that. In the same vein it might be a little intimidating answering the door to a group of older kids or adults than to little children.

Mainly though, I imagine it's this: some people resent feeling obligated to give free candy to those old enough to buy it for themselves.

I respect all those reasons I just wish that if it really wasn't okay for older people to trick-or-treat we'd just make it official or something ya know.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 7:36 pm

^^^ I hear you, I really do. There are so many unwritten social things that I'd love to be written, so I know for sure! It's all part of being autistic, I guess; hearing what people ought to do and then reverse-engineering the reasoning :?

Velcrowalls
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Oct 2016, 7:48 pm

racheypie666 wrote:
^^^ I hear you, I really do. There are so many unwritten social things that I'd love to be written, so I know for sure! It's all part of being autistic, I guess; hearing what people ought to do and then reverse-engineering the reasoning :?

Yeah. I feel better now though.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Oct 2016, 10:25 pm

I think people are expected to quit trick-r-treating 1ce they're old enough to go to Halloween parties

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 11:52 pm

The day you turn 18 is the day you are too old to go trick or treating because trick or treating is meant for kids. If you want candy, go buy a bunch of it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 12:21 am

in a nicer world, there would be no expiration date.