Don't want. 39%  39%  [ 14 ]
Want. 44%  44%  [ 16 ]
Regret. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 36

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 7:46 pm

In your humble opinion. Has the thought of family life ever really drawn you? Have you started a family of your own already?

I often hear threats of, "your going to end up a old man with no one to take care of you". But is this a true fear? Personally I don't believe I'd ever truly need a family. I have family now but they are becoming more distant as their lives grow and their family's grow. I wonder if I should find someone and start my own family just for the sake of mild company.

I also look on the other side of the coin. Where a associate of mine has a family, who's daughter simply wanted to have kids (from the age of 16). And a son who can't seem to live without rehab. He hands over thousands of dollars just to his children/to help his grand children, and loses money from stolen items from his son. He even seems to lose money to his wife, who will give their son money/give away their debit card.

I know my grandma is 84 right now and works everyday/takes care of herself. She has a very sharp mind, and she did have 3 sons - who have branched out. They're all very hard working and competent. Yet I wonder if the risk of family is worth the risk of what could come from a family. If the need to procreate should be followed, or if you don't have a want or need towards the subject - if you shouldn't just simply ignore it all together.

:hmph:

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 8:17 pm

I am too weird/uncaring/incompetent to have a family. In fact, I cannot even imagine myself having a girlfriend.

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 8:20 pm

I don't want. Don't have the patience, know how or capabilities to raise a family and I doubt I could ever gain such abilities.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DanRaccoon

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 8:50 pm

I do want a family.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 8:53 pm

I'd rather live the life of a man than get married to one in order to have a family.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 8:56 pm

I would like a long term partner to spend the rest of my lifespan devoted to, but the idea of family to me implies having people who share my and her blood created... and I don't want kids. So while I'd say I want long term companionship, I don't want to start a family with little screwed up humans >_>

I should rephrase... I've wanted kids in the past, and would love them in theory, but my gene's are a total mess. I would be a bad cruel person to reproduce with all of the genetic disorders (Health, and Mind related) I possess as risk to passing down to a child, not to mention, I can't see myself as an even remotely decent father figure.

Lace-Bane's blood shall end here... it's the only moral choice :|

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 9:28 pm

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 9:28 pm

Edit: Double post.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 9:35 pm

I have children. I had decided I didn't want any as the prospect of being solely responsible for the life and well-being of another human put a bad taste in my mouth.

When I found out I was pregnant with my first, my views on parenthood shifted. I was going to school at the time to become a teacher because I desired to nurture young minds, and suddenly I realized the child growing in me was the best mind to nurture.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 9:57 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I have children. I had decided I didn't want any as the prospect of being solely responsible for the life and well-being of another human put a bad taste in my mouth.

When I found out I was pregnant with my first, my views on parenthood shifted. I was going to school at the time to become a teacher because I desired to nurture young minds, and suddenly I realized the child growing in me was the best mind to nurture.

Good input.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 11:00 pm

I've never wanted children. I view children, especially babies and toddlers, as almost being sub-human due to my lack of maternal instinct combined with my lack of empathy. Bringing a child into the world would be the absolute worst thing I could ever do, both to myself and the hypothetical child I would create. And since I don't want to have sex with men anyway, the only way I would ever get pregnant would be if I was raped.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 12:12 am

I have a family already.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 12:30 am

Nim wrote:
I often hear threats of, "your going to end up a old man with no one to take care of you".

The money one would not be spending on family-related items could balance it out. I think one could live comfortably in retirement, assuming they are wise with their money and have steady, meaningful work for several decades. Additionally one would have more time to take good care of their health and maintain fitness. Just a thought.

I sometimes feel it would be a great experience to have a family, but I do not think I will ever have children for a few reasons... If the family I make is just me, a great woman and our pets, I'm okay with that, if we are happy

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 4:41 am

^^ Greetings Nim.

I believe that I find this topic very interesting indeed. I believe that I perhaps do not wish to create any human children as I feel that there exists very many humans. ^^ However, I believe that this may be very nice for me to adopt (humans or non-humans) if I perhaps form a relationship with a human within the future who wishes to do so.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 4:53 am

I want to have children when I'm older, maybe 20's. I decided that when I was 13.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 5:32 am

I don't want kids for many reasons. I already have animals, they're basically my family right now. I would be open to adding a man to that picture (if he could put up with me :D ).

Not exactly traditional, but it is a family of sorts.